ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   IAG shortblocks in UK ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1053310-iag-shortblocks-in-uk.html)

thisisspara 15 March 2018 11:41 AM

IAG shortblocks in UK ?

Hi guys, I've searched the forum but couldn't find anything related. Has anyone heard of AIG short blocks?

It looks like in the UK most people forge their EJ25 engines to avoid the common issues but apparently in the US is more common to buy a new forged shortblock? I've come across IAG Performance, they sell Stage 1 up to Stage 4 shortblocks.
On their website you can find a Stage 2 for £2.5k. Looking at their ebay page they're selling a Stage 1 Plus for $3.2k + $800 shipping to UK. That's not even £3k.

Surely this would be a better option than forging your own cost wise specially labor costs? Perhaps we could all chip in and order like 10 for a bulk discount ahah :D

Has anyone had any experience or opinions why this is not a good idea to do in the UK?

Tidgy 15 March 2018 12:43 PM

you have to ask why they are so cheap. what goes into actually building a short block and why costs are high in some case than others.

The Trooper 1815 15 March 2018 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by thisisspara (Post 12000307)
Hi guys, I've searched the forum but couldn't find anything related. Has anyone heard of AIG short blocks?

It looks like in the UK most people forge their EJ25 engines to avoid the common issues but apparently in the US is more common to buy a new forged shortblock? I've come across IAG Performance, they sell Stage 1 up to Stage 4 shortblocks.
On their website you can find a Stage 2 for £2.5k. Looking at their ebay page they're selling a Stage 1 Plus for $3.2k + $800 shipping to UK. That's not even £3k.

Surely this would be a better option than forging your own cost wise specially labor costs? Perhaps we could all chip in and order like 10 for a bulk discount ahah :D

Has anyone had any experience or opinions why this is not a good idea to do in the UK?

You have not factored in VAT, Import Tax and Duty. Take your pants down and get an old leather belt to bite on ready.

With VAT alone you are looking at £3500 per stage 1 block.

Mad Hammer 15 March 2018 03:01 PM

No issues with IAG. Very good reputation and I know plenty of the drag guys out in the US and beyond use their services.

SmurfyBhoy 15 March 2018 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12000313)
you have to ask why they are so cheap. what goes into actually building a short block and why costs are high in some case than others.

Have you seen what IAG do ?

Not your run of mill shop selling rebranded Blouch Turbskis ;)

USA is farr cheaper than here, those same Blouch turbos are close to half what they are here

Tidgy 15 March 2018 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12000339)

USA is farr cheaper than here, those same Blouch turbos are close to half what they are here

import tax? vat? transport costs? etc etc adn the fact it's just a short block.

why do you think jap cars cost what they do when they land?

How about thinking about things before jumping on with your snipes :hjtwofing

banny sti 15 March 2018 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12000339)

:lol1:

Tidgy 15 March 2018 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 12000351)
:lol1:

im waiting for him to twig its 3k for a short block only :lol1::lol1::lol1:

not to mention what happens if something goes wrong :lol1:

SmurfyBhoy 15 March 2018 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12000353)

Which is approx £2k in our money.....

How about reading, :razz:

I didn't say you could get it cheap here did i ?

Otherwise the whole SC range would be bust,

Those prices are stateside and i doubt could be matched by anyone in the uk

Warranty with a forged shortblock :lol::lol:

Void if comes in contact with oil :lol1::lol1:

The Trooper 1815 15 March 2018 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12000353)

And the additional $399 is taken from your Credit/Debit card for not returning the packing case. I don't think the cardboard is an option!

Tidgy 15 March 2018 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12000358)
Which is approx £2k in our money.....

How about reading, :razz:

I didn't say you could get it cheap here did i ?

Otherwise the whole SC range would be bust,

Those prices are stateside and i doubt could be matched by anyone in the uk

Warranty with a forged shortblock :lol::lol:

Void if comes in contact with oil :lol1::lol1:

So your whole post was just having a pop at me for being loyal then which had nothing to do with the OP

and some places do stand on for engine builds if something goes wrong and they havn't been mistreated.

Tidgy 15 March 2018 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 12000359)
And the additional $399 is taken from your Credit/Debit card for not returning the packing case. I don't think the cardboard is an option!

Tis a cool box though :lol1: