ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   One pedal.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1052866-one-pedal.html)

RobsyUK 18 February 2018 06:31 AM

One pedal..

Just seen an advert for the new Nissan leaf. Boasting only one pedal to do both accelerate and brake. How can that be safe?

andy97 18 February 2018 07:42 AM

It makes you judge the stopping distance, instead of teararsing upto the point where you need to slam on the anchors. There is a normal brake pedal as well if you need to stop more quickly. Whilst lifting the throttle regen charging and braking happen together, the brakes lights are activated at the same time. A lot more relaxing to drive. Combined with Propilot the car will keep the '2 seconds' safety margin to the car in front and adjust speed whenever the traffic in front slows down, even to the point where the car comes to a complete stop. It will move off with a few seconds if the traffic moves, else its just a light tap on the throttle and Propilot is re-engaged.

My Volvo Hybrid has the same system and lane assist, works brilliantly in town with stop start driving. Out on the open road my Volvo still keeps the 2 second margin at higher speeds. It will amaze you how big a gap you should leave in front of you, very few drivers do. I use adaptive cruise all the time, letting the car set safety buffers.

pimmo2000 18 February 2018 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11995996)
It makes you judge the stopping distance, instead of teararsing upto the point where you need to slam on the anchors. There is a normal brake pedal as well if you need to stop more quickly. Whilst lifting the throttle regen charging and braking happen together, the brakes lights are activated at the same time. A lot more relaxing to drive. Combined with Propilot the car will keep the '2 seconds' safety margin to the car in front and adjust speed whenever the traffic in front slows down, even to the point where the car comes to a complete stop. It will move off with a few seconds if the traffic moves, else its just a light tap on the throttle and Propilot is re-engaged.

My Volvo Hybrid has the same system, works brilliantly in town with stop start driving. Out on the open road my Volvo still keeps the 2 second margin at higher speeds. It will amaze you how big a gap you should leave in front of you, very few drivers do. I use adaptive cruise all the time, letting the car set safety buffers.

Problem is, all the idiots who feel the need to be in front of you will take that gap until you're 15 cars further back. You can't sit in the 1st lane either because of the OAPs doing 47mph.

End up with middle aged women driving them and middle lane hogging.

dpb 18 February 2018 07:52 AM

Just an extension driving an automatic / dogem car as far i can see

What joy :(

dpb 18 February 2018 07:58 AM

Surely the brake lights are not auto engaged on letting go the pedal

andy97 18 February 2018 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11995997)
Problem is, all the idiots who feel the need to be in front of you will take that gap until you're 15 cars further back. You can't sit in the 1st lane either because of the OAPs doing 47mph.

End up with middle aged women driving them and middle lane hogging.

Its not a problem except for the dickhead driver. As they say, let the idiot be in front, safer for you. I don't bother overtaking anymore, set adaptive cruise, and relax, I normally see the idiot a car or two in front once at my destination.

andy97 18 February 2018 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11996000)
Surely the brake lights are not auto engaged on letting go the pedal

Yes they are, to warn the dickhead tailgating you're slowing down

dpb 18 February 2018 08:14 AM

I can feather throttle already and always leave large gap As it is

So I don't HAVE to have brake lights on.!

This just your life slowly being automated

andy97 18 February 2018 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11996005)
I can feather throttle already and always leave large gap As it is

So I don't HAVE to have brake lights on.!

This just your life slowly being automated

Yep, love the idea, cant wait for full autonomous cars, driving is a bore. You can't create the dickhead gap behind you by feathering the throttle, better to at least let them know you're slowing down. Besides it might remind them to back off

dpb 18 February 2018 08:47 AM

But the car behind is always at fault , as long as youre not breaking the law, who cares

hedgecutter 18 February 2018 08:53 AM

Can this be retro fitted to all Volvos? And Audis?. Because there are far too many people who get in their cars and "relax" when they should be doing the opposite.

andy97 18 February 2018 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11996010)
But the car behind is always at fault , as long as youre not breaking the law, who cares

I'd rather give the dickhead as much notice than have a rear end shunt. Automatic brake warning the New Leaf and others will have

andy97 18 February 2018 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 11996011)
Can this be retro fitted to all Volvos? And Audis?. Because there are far too many people who get in their cars and "relax" when they should be doing the opposite.

No it's hard wired, cameras, radar all need to be factory installed upon manufacturing. The only cars where you can retrofit/activation is Tesla, they install all hardware for each car

Reinhold 18 February 2018 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11996006)
Yep, love the idea, cant wait for full autonomous cars, driving is a bore. You can't create the dickhead gap behind you by feathering the throttle, better to at least let them know you're slowing down. Besides it might remind them to back off

How strange that you should hold such a view on a Subaru forum! And there is not much more annoying than an idiot in front of you whose brake lights come on every few seconds.

dpb 18 February 2018 10:32 AM

And inevitably slows down Everything

But thats the new automated existence

andy97 18 February 2018 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Reinhold (Post 11996020)
How strange that you should hold such a view on a Subaru forum! And there is not much more annoying than an idiot in front of you whose brake lights come on every few seconds.

Been there done that. Not my problem if the dickhead behind gets annoyed. They will have plenty of room to Whizz by into my 50 yard gap. My car will auto adjust the gap, without me doing a thing

dpb 18 February 2018 10:50 AM

So if someone cuts in in front will it put on your brake lights ?

andy97 18 February 2018 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11996029)
So if someone cuts in in front will it put on your brake lights ?

Of course, just like you'd brake if someone did the same.

Paben 18 February 2018 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11996023)
Been there done that. Not my problem if the dickhead behind gets annoyed. They will have plenty of room to Whizz by into my 50 yard gap. My car will auto adjust the gap, without me doing a thing

On a dual carriageway perhaps: everywhere else you'll just annoy the hell out of people and probably cause a crash as they try to pass you. But I guess that's not your fault either.

andy97 18 February 2018 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11996035)
On a dual carriageway perhaps: everywhere else you'll just annoy the hell out of people and probably cause a crash as they try to pass you. But I guess that's not your fault either.

I'm not responsible for other idiots. Why would someone want to overtake if im traveling at near the speed limit? Follow the safety rules of driving or don't drive.

dpb 18 February 2018 11:37 AM

But the millisecond you knock it out of cruise it presumably throws the brake light on
- which will cause tailbacks forever

Paben 18 February 2018 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11996039)
I'm not responsible for other idiots. Why would someone want to overtake if im traveling at near the speed limit? Follow the safety rules of driving or don't drive.

With all that impromptu braking I doubt you ever get close to the speed limit so you would be entirely responsible for causing frustration in other drivers and making them take chances. Even the police agree that slow drivers are more dangerous than those that speed: 'No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.' There you are, told you, speed it up.

andy97 18 February 2018 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11996054)
With all that impromptu braking I doubt you ever get close to the speed limit so you would be entirely responsible for causing frustration in other drivers and making them take chances. Even the police agree that slow drivers are more dangerous than those that speed: 'No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.' There you are, told you, speed it up.

The car will be set mostly mostly on adaptive cruise set at the speed limit, it will vary speed with the flow of traffic whilst maintaining the '2 second rule' safety gap to the car in front. If the vehicle in front slows my car will slow and indicate by using brake lights. I'm not making anyone take chances, dickheads are the ones taking unnecessary risks, trying to overtake when not appropriate. Take responsibility for your own actions and not blame others for doing nothing wrong.

dpb 18 February 2018 02:01 PM

Yes but whilst the guy in front lifted off the gas for second , You have actually put on the brakes and everyone down the line will have to do the same -producing congestion

JackClark 18 February 2018 03:21 PM

I would think it's the same as cruise control maintaining speed downhill, as in it will use engine braking to some extent then move to brakes if needed.

You're all making a fuss about nothing, adaptive cruise is very good thing.

andy97 18 February 2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11996066)
Yes but whilst the guy in front lifted off the gas for second , You have actually put on the brakes and everyone down the line will have to do the same -producing congestion

Only if you're a dickhead and drive 2 ft off the rear of the car in front That's what the 2 seconds safety gap is all about to allow a degree of hysteresis and not a rapid. concertina affect..

dpb 18 February 2018 04:32 PM

But you cant coast , its either accelarating or braking - so is the guy front a dickhead ?

( its your fault if you cause an accident )

Paben 18 February 2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11996085)
Only if you're a dickhead and drive 2 ft off the rear of the car in front That's what the 2 seconds safety gap is all about to allow a degree of hysteresis and not a rapid. concertina affect..

You should just catch the bus and do us all a favour and stay out of the way.

andy97 18 February 2018 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11996088)
But you cant coast , its either accelarating or braking - so is the guy front a dickhead ?

( its your fault if you cause an accident )

You missed the blindingly obvious third state, constant speed. The cars systems will react to slowing down and speeding up, just in a more predictive, non aggressive manner. I wont be causing an accident, my vehicle will create a frontal safety buffer to bring the car to a stop if someone stops in front of me.

Its the future, where cars will link up in synchronous driving, accelerate, decelerate in microsecond unison. :thumb:

Full autonomy :D

Paben 18 February 2018 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11996100)
You missed the blindingly obvious third state, constant speed. The cars systems will react to slowing down and speeding up, just in a more predictive, non aggressive manner. I wont be causing an accident, my vehicle will create a frontal safety buffer to bring the car to a stop if someone stops in front of me.

Its the future, where cars will link up in synchronous driving, accelerate, decelerate in microsecond unison. :thumb:

Full autonomy :D

It's estimated that by the year 2030 75% of all jobs will have been taken over by robots. By then cars will be nearly obsolete because robots will just stay at the plant working 24/7 and will never go on holiday or go home, they won't need to. Better enjoy your automated car while you can!