ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Electric cars (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1052743-electric-cars.html)

ALi-B 13 February 2018 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by boggissimo (Post 11995098)
I've just had my first year service (8500 miles), front pads were 20% worn, rear pads 10% worn. No significant wear on the discs. So 5 years before it needs new pads, and even then that's just at the front.

The Toyota Auris hybrid (and its Lexus and Prius brothers) get well over 50k on pads and disks. One customer's Auris is over 80,000miles with plenty of meat left, poor blokes paranoid as he's had the car five years and never gone so long without needing pads. :lol1: It will need discs by the time they are due as they getting rather corroded and will be on their minimum thickness in another 20k or so. Brake discs do wear; depending on pad compound; Hybrids and EVs will have more abrasive pad compounds to keep the braking surfaces clean and prevent material build up.

Unless a caliper or pad sticks, which is likely given their light usage; they'll stick on after a emergency stop and then cook the pads. So by rights they should be stripped and cleaned every 4-5 years (or more often in rural or coastal areas), even if it's not mentioned in the schedules.

urban 13 February 2018 01:19 PM

They're fecking dangerous being virtually silent, my neighbour has one.
They need to make a noise or something I think.

ALi-B 13 February 2018 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11995122)
They're fecking dangerous being virtually silent, my neighbour has one.
They need to make a noise or something I think.

There will be a law/regulation at some point in the future forcing them to make a noise' such as beepers like a 'leccy fork lift. Just needs some more pedestrians or cyclists to get injured/killed before the powers that be act.

It is quite fun creeping up on work colleagues and letting rip with the horn...or headlamp washers :lol1:

Tidgy 13 February 2018 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11995126)
There will be a law/regulation at some point in the future forcing them to make a noise' such as beepers like a 'leccy fork lift. Just needs some more pedestrians or cyclists to get injured/killed before the powers that be act.

It is quite fun creeping up on work colleagues and letting rip with the horn...or headlamp washers :lol1:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

dpb 13 February 2018 01:36 PM

Choice differnt combustion engine noise probably

just like the fakery allready employed !

urban 13 February 2018 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11995126)

I'd be out washing my car, nothing else around, next minute I turn round and my neighbours car is two feet away

andy97 13 February 2018 03:27 PM

Stop, Look, Listen, Think" or "Stop Look Listen Live

always work s

legacy_gtb 13 February 2018 03:51 PM

Legislation has got most of this covered.

The noise thing will be there for 2019 model years, this has been worded as an "artificial engine noise" as thats what pedestrians are subconsciously tuned into, however it wont be long before the roads sound like the jetsons.

As for brakes, even with a fully phased braking system (electrical regen as much as possible and brakes only when the regens not upto demand... see bosch ibooster) there are usually friction brake cycles built into the drive cycles specifically to keep the discs fresh for when theyre needed, however as these systems usually work by measuring brake pedal input and controlling the brakes (or regen) to achieve a set g of deceleration (this is needed to keep the brake feel equal if in friction or regen), then actually the condition of the discs and pads shouldnt matter unless theyre metal to metal as the force applied by the booster isnt the same as the force applied by your foot! Its just controlling the hydraulic pressure at the caliper (and the amount of regen in the motor) to achieve a decelerative g defined by the mapping ..... make sense?

JackClark 13 February 2018 05:51 PM

Renaults already have fake noise inside, I fooled a top level Rally geek in a rental Clio. :lol1: No bother playing that outside.

The braking in the Smart EV I borrowed was pretty insane, much better than mine. It used the regen for adaptive cruise too which was nice and smoother than a diesel.

I still want the Smart but need to save a few pennies first, great town car and a Ninja Hoonigan when you fancy it, no screaming engine wins sometimes.

ALi-B 13 February 2018 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11995156)
Stop, Look, Listen, Think" or "Stop Look Listen Live

always work s

These days its: fit airpods, look down on phone, post Twitter comment, cross, splat. :thumb:

Clarkson's come with a sport to "Troll" cars fitted with collision avoidance. Considering the radar fitted to the Audi A8 (or Bentley Continental) looks like HAL9000, I wouldn't trust it :lol1:

andy97 14 February 2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11995209)
These days its: fit airpods, look down on phone, post Twitter comment, cross, splat. :thumb:

Clarkson's come with a sport to "Troll" cars fitted with collision avoidance. Considering the radar fitted to the Audi A8 (or Bentley Continental) looks like HAL9000, I wouldn't trust it :lol1:

Too right, about kids. A local young lad got killed just as you describe. Stepped out, bang, dead!

andy97 14 February 2018 09:06 AM

My Leaf 2.0 has come into stock now, but I've delayed collecting till March. This is to give the Charge point installer time to get the 7KW point in at our home. Its a closed shop system so at the mercy of these authorised companies.

I noticed that they also do a 20KW charger, this will be useful at our new home, which will have 3 phase

dpb 14 February 2018 09:27 AM

Will you still have to drape the cable across the pavement ?

Tidgy 14 February 2018 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11995189)
Renaults already have fake noise inside, I fooled a top level Rally geek in a rental Clio. :lol1: No bother playing that outside.

The braking in the Smart EV I borrowed was pretty insane, much better than mine. It used the regen for adaptive cruise too which was nice and smoother than a diesel.

I still want the Smart but need to save a few pennies first, great town car and a Ninja Hoonigan when you fancy it, no screaming engine wins sometimes.

M5 has so i wouldn't mock too much,

actualy i would, bloody jessy's :lol1:

dpb 14 February 2018 09:30 AM

0-60 in 11.5 isnt amazing ??

andy97 14 February 2018 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11995266)
Will you still have to drape the cable across the pavement ?

You know full well we live on country estate. There will be no draping of cables anywhere. The servants will hold it whilst it charges the car :lol1:

andy97 14 February 2018 10:50 AM

Quite nice those Smart electric city cars. The original smarts had **** gearboxes, no more problems with electric drivetrain.

dpb 14 February 2018 11:03 AM

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/column...-fun-to-drive/

dpb 14 February 2018 11:14 AM

No doubt someone somewhere has this soundtrack fitted to their prius

JackClark 14 February 2018 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11995279)
Quite nice those Smart electric city cars. The original smarts had **** gearboxes, no more problems with electric drivetrain.

Mine has dual clutch, flappy paddle stuff, it's pretty good, the old ones were terrible robot manuals. Not having gears was half the fun, instant power... obviously not much power, but surprising. I'll be wiring my carport ready for charging, might be a while but my next car purchase is electric, it's a shame the last Leaf was butt ugly otherwise I'd have bought one.

Could't live with the Duracell colours though.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...a13005beda.jpg

JackClark 14 February 2018 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11995285)
No doubt someone somewhere has this soundtrack fitted to their prius
https://youtu.be/-q4fPOXXDHk

I used the Clio Cup.

JackClark 14 February 2018 12:56 PM

andy97 27 February 2018 02:02 PM

Today had my 7kw home charge point installation by chargemaster. :) . '18 Leaf collect Thursday. Monday 300 mile journey, we have setup our public charge accounts with Ecotricity :D

andy97 28 February 2018 02:01 PM

Hyundai Kona, new electric compact SUV .180+ miles :D

https://www.slashgear.com/hyundai-kona-fully-electric-suv-has-292-mile-range-28521431/

boggissimo 28 February 2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11997983)
Hyundai Kona, new electric compact SUV .180+ miles :D

https://www.slashgear.com/hyundai-ko...ange-28521431/

That should sell by the bucketload, if it's priced right. What I really don't get is how Nissan haven't produced an electric QashQow yet, or a Juke. Awful cars but if they want volume, that's the market to go for nowadays.

andy97 28 February 2018 02:23 PM

I understand they will be. Jaguar ipace will determine whether there is appetite for SUV electric. SUV are popular generally so these should be

boggissimo 01 March 2018 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11997987)
I understand they will be. Jaguar ipace will determine whether there is appetite for SUV electric. SUV are popular generally so these should be

Not sure of the price point for the I-PACE but not sure they're going for the same market as Nissan/Hyundai etc. If they can put an electric QashQai out at less than £25K, then take off the government grant and do some nice dealer/finance incentives, there will be a lot more EVs on the road...

SouthWalesSam 01 March 2018 01:28 PM

I'd wager that when it arrives the I-Pace won't do much for EVs.
I expect that like all JLR products it'll be desirable but overpriced and uncompetitive to finance.

The Trooper 1815 01 March 2018 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam (Post 11998159)
I expect that like all JLR products it'll be desirable but overpriced and uncompetitive to finance.

And break down.

A lot.

ALi-B 01 March 2018 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam (Post 11998159)

They may end up with major reputation issues meaning the EV maybe the better choice if it's reliable.... It seems they are suffering engine failures on their new engines and owners are being left without a vehicle for long periods, presumably due to stock shortage of lack of workshop capacity.

Oh and the Velar's door handle...bad idea to copy Tesla...you know what happens when they freeze? They break. The wonders of vanity presiding over engineering. :facepalm: