ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   1st Track day and oem brakes? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/1052526-1st-track-day-and-oem-brakes.html)

SmileyScooby 02 February 2018 12:32 AM

1st Track day and oem brakes?

Wondering what your thoughts are on running oem discs n pads at oulton park?So I have a pretty much stock WRX Blob. It's running roughly 240/250 bhp and has 18" wheels.
I drove my bug for 8 years but never did a track day. My dad has given me the WRX for free as he didn't use it much but it has standard discs and pads but with loads of pad left.

My mate(mechanic) recommends Godspeed Discs atleast on the front with CLRC5+ and braided hoses with good fluid and then some good pads in the rear...minimum. If I'm gonna do it then I may aswell have discs and clrc5+ on the rear.
Looking at prices...I'm gonna be looking at £350-£550 ish depending on wether I do the rear. Then about £120 fitting.
Problem is, as it's kinda an out of blue freebie car and I have a 2015 S3 as my daily....:norty:...it's gonna spend most of the year sorn'd. I don't even know if I will like the track day enough to do more...?(probably will:wonder:)
On top of this...the wife is not impressed that I'm suddenly thinking about chucking £700 at a car that sits under a cover most of the time. It was hard enough to convince her to let me have it on the drive under a cover.

So, is a brake upgrade a definite priority or should I just go with it's current setup?
Thanks in advance for your help.
:wonder::thumb:

JDM_Stig 02 February 2018 01:08 AM

Find some mintex 1155 pads for it, cheaper option, and cracking pad for what you want.

RAGGY DOO 02 February 2018 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by SmileyScooby (Post 11992866)
Wondering what your thoughts are on running oem discs n pads at oulton park?So I have a pretty much stock WRX Blob. It's running roughly 240/250 bhp and has 18" wheels.
I drove my bug for 8 years but never did a track day. My dad has given me the WRX for free as he didn't use it much but it has standard discs and pads but with loads of pad left.

My mate(mechanic) recommends Godspeed Discs atleast on the front with CLRC5+ and braided hoses with good fluid and then some good pads in the rear...minimum. If I'm gonna do it then I may aswell have discs and clrc5+ on the rear.
Looking at prices...I'm gonna be looking at £350-£550 ish depending on wether I do the rear. Then about £120 fitting.
Problem is, as it's kinda an out of blue freebie car and I have a 2015 S3 as my daily....:norty:...it's gonna spend most of the year sorn'd. I don't even know if I will like the track day enough to do more...?(probably will:wonder:)
On top of this...the wife is not impressed that I'm suddenly thinking about chucking £700 at a car that sits under a cover most of the time. It was hard enough to convince her to let me have it on the drive under a cover.

So, is a brake upgrade a definite priority or should I just go with it's current setup?
Thanks in advance for your help.
:wonder::thumb:

Treat the wife to a new handbag so she can keep your balls nice and warm
Hashtagwhopped

m40ttc 03 February 2018 06:31 PM

I ended up doing most of a track day last year at castle Combe on some cheap girling pads, after what I thought was half decent pads disintegration in the first few laps. I just brought anything I could from the local parts store so I could carry on.
To be fair they did 6 sessions and had loads of pad left after. the oem isn't going to stop as well as the rc5 but you may find the oem ones will survive the day. I was surprised the girling ones did so well I brought 2 packs just to be safe but never used them.

SmileyScooby 03 February 2018 08:04 PM

Gave her some stick up and down a dual carriageway today...up and down braking from high speed for the roundabouts and straight back on it like it would be on a track day...didn't really fade but shuddered like a pneumatic jack hammer!

Wull 03 February 2018 10:29 PM

Wrx brakes are horrendous, even std sti brakes aren't up to the abuse thrown at them on track.

For me it needs to be Brembos with uprated discs and at least rc5+ pads, I used std discs for a bit but they gave up the ghost quickly.

SmileyScooby 03 February 2018 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wull (Post 11993224)
Wrx brakes are horrendous, even std sti brakes aren't up to the abuse thrown at them on track.

For me it needs to be Brembos with uprated discs and at least rc5+ pads, I used std discs for a bit but they gave up the ghost quickly.

I can't go getting new calipers too!:freak3:

Maybe I'll just try fronts with discs n pads.

m40ttc 04 February 2018 01:32 PM

Definitely changed the disc then if they're juddering and get some decent pads that will see you through the first day. It ain't going to stop as quickly as if you had brembos fitted. You'll just have to brake earlier. Drive in the limits of the car and you'll still have great fun.

boggissimo 12 February 2018 02:19 PM

I did a trackday in my WRX (wagon) a couple of years ago on standard brakes, and it was pretty bad - fade, and boiled fluid, after 15 mins! Now have Brembos all round and it is brilliant, though it was a fair wedge to get the parts and get them fitted.