ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   VW and most of the major car manufacturers (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1052511-vw-and-most-of-the-major-car-manufacturers.html)

andy97 31 January 2018 08:09 PM

VW and most of the major car manufacturers

Found testing on monkeys with diesel emissions. Suppressed the results because it was shown newer diesels are more lethal in their toxic emissions than older vehicles despite having a cheat system to lower emissions.

*******s the lot of them. Don't buy German cars.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/31/suppressed-rigged-diesel-tests-monkeys-showed-new-cars-harmful/

legacy_gtb 31 January 2018 09:16 PM

This has been known about for years! God knows why they needed to test on monkeys to prove it!

As cylinder temps go up to get the efficiency up, the amount of nox and nasties goes up with it.

The Trooper 1815 31 January 2018 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11992634)
Found testing on monkeys with diesel emissions. Suppressed the results because it was shown newer diesels are more lethal in their toxic emissions than older vehicles despite having a cheat system to lower emissions.

*******s the lot of them. Don't buy German cars.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...-cars-harmful/

Your naivety is breathtaking. Get out more:eek:

ALi-B 01 February 2018 01:29 PM

Disgraceful; should have tested them on laboratory bred vegans :mad:

Get a grip. The cosmetic industry do a hell of a lot worse. Still do. Same with pharma, and detergent/cleaner manufacturers etc etc.

And if you think other non German manufacturers are not cheating emissions, then you are very nieve; in particular (no pun ;) ) Renault/Nissan alliance engines have been caught out amongst many other: : https://www.theicct.org/news/road-te...-press-release

Tidgy 01 February 2018 01:43 PM

Thats seriously bad.

andy97 01 February 2018 01:59 PM

RDE real driving emissions should prevent these vehicles from getting onto our roads. I understand they're fudging this test as well.

The Trooper 1815 01 February 2018 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11992747)
RDE real driving emissions should prevent these vehicles from getting onto our roads. I understand they're fudging this test as well.

As before.
Get out more or stop taking the happy pills.

andy97 03 February 2018 06:39 AM

It goes from from bad to worse

This lot should be in prison, putting millions of people's health at risk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...lth-officials/

andy97 03 February 2018 07:11 AM

This should be implemented immediately

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8188851.html

alcazar 03 February 2018 11:43 AM

The whole of the Liebour government ought to be in prison for what they have done to us over diesels.

Want to bet some of them trousered a few £££ too?

ALi-B 03 February 2018 12:29 PM

You are going to get shafted on petrols too. Give it another five years for the ugliness to surface.....

The Renault Kajar 1.2 PETROL has been found to produce three times more NOx than a Mercedes E220 diesel!!! (Which in turn is twice that of a 2016 BMW 530d )

andy97 03 February 2018 01:08 PM

Electric

ALi-B 03 February 2018 01:23 PM

Not good enough yet.

andy97 03 February 2018 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11993142)
Not good enough yet.

For the majority of vehicle travel its perfect.

Anything under 30 mile outward trip then return and maybe a few little jaunts can be done by an electric car.

Something like 95% of all car journeys are under 30 miles. Only bigger capacity and or hybrid petrol for 100+ mile trips are really needed.

alcazar 03 February 2018 02:27 PM

Electric? how many days would it take me to drive to our French chateau? 800 miles......

LOL

Electric my firm but pliant....as my dad would have said.

ALi-B 03 February 2018 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11993158)
Electric? how many days would it take me to drive to our French chateau? 800 miles......

LOL

Exactly. Not everyone is a office pleb commuter or school run mummy.

It's this 'eggs in one basket' thought train on transportation and infrastructure that caused this mess, and will cause it again and again.

The warning signs are there, look at who is buying up the raw materials ready in wait.

dpb 03 February 2018 03:22 PM

its just slightly hypocritical to say everyone should drive electric when youre pretty well off and live in sparsely populated environment

dpb 03 February 2018 03:24 PM

unless there is a sliding scale tax on electric vehicles , dependent on how far out you live/ your earnings

andy97 03 February 2018 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11993158)

LOL

Depends whether you own a Tesla or Nissan .They can be recharged in 40-60 mins with high speed Chargers. Yes it can be done. That isn't the issue. Majority of all car travel is less than 30 miles. So electric is perfect for short commute or town driving.

Before you start about power stations making more pollution, last year a third of all the UKs electricity came from renewable sources wind/solar. With 50% coming from low carbon energy sources. This is set to increase considerably in the coming years.

Electric is the way forward until hydrogen can be produced cheaply, and then it will be used to provide power for an electric vehicle

andy97 03 February 2018 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11993167)
its just slightly hypocritical to say everyone should drive electric when youre pretty well off and live in sparsely populated environment

Hardly, have you not seen London, it's getting more and more electric transport. Not before time, its so polluted. People need to be forced to adopt where practical. The new nissan cost £21k. Before government discount

dpb 03 February 2018 03:38 PM

Where is the 50 % figure , i can only find 25% fro 2016 so far

andy97 03 February 2018 03:55 PM

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/environment/uk-renewable-energy-third-electricity-generated-wind-solar-panel-any-other-forms-mentioned-coal-a8122921.html%3famp

andy97 04 February 2018 08:39 AM

shipping causes spike in pollutants
http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a8189691.html

Jimhno8 04 February 2018 09:02 AM

Problem is we are 25+ years from genuinely viable technology to be able to phase out internal combustion. In the meantime we can all preach the rights and wrongs, but not one of us is going to accept the additional cost of wide scale short term 'green' alternatives.

andy97 04 February 2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jimhno8 (Post 11993252)
Problem is we are 25+ years from genuinely viable technology to be able to phase out internal combustion. In the meantime we can all preach the rights and wrongs, but not one of us is going to accept the additional cost of wide scale short term 'green' alternatives.

For the majority the alternatives are here now. You would only need to use a petrol vehicle for very long journeys where stopping isnt required. Short journeys, which 95% of us do everyday, electric is perfect. For meduim journeys electric still works, with 40-60 min fast charging available. Long journeys, electric can still do it(requires a little fore planning) but petrol is probably more convenient due to abundant fuel stations. The charging points are rapidly growing though.

I live out in the countryside, there are no commercial charging points available within 20 miles- however every house is a potential charging point, I've already got agreement from my friends that if I use their house to charge up, I will pay them 15p/KW I take:) . Our daily mileage is around 75 miles per vehicle. Our new car will do 150 miles per charge.= perfectly suitable vehicle.

dpb 04 February 2018 09:23 AM

Is The only actual saving to environment through electric vehicles overall the lack of need for tankers to distribute hydrocarb to fuel stations ?

alcazar 04 February 2018 10:52 AM

But aren't the figures for what generated our power a bit skewed? If not skew-whiff?

They ONLY mention power that comes from abraod, lumping it in as non-polluting, afaik, whereas they actually have zero idea what produced it?

Jimhno8 04 February 2018 08:49 PM

So a genuine alternative isnt here yet...

I live in a rural location, I run a number of vans and pick ups as part of my landscaping business covering a 1 hour radius from home, and we tow 2-5 days a week??

Show me a non i/c solution which won't add time/cost and im interested.

I fully accept that the oil wont last forever but the sooner a viable usable propulsion system is devised the sooner we can save the fuel thats left to still play with our cars.

But can they please stop using the 'green' story to fudge a crap solution to a real problem.

andy97 04 February 2018 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jimhno8 (Post 11993449)
So a genuine alternative isnt here yet...

I live in a rural location, I run a number of vans and pick ups as part of my landscaping business covering a 1 hour radius from home, and we tow 2-5 days a week??

Show me a non i/c solution which won't add time/cost and im interested.

I fully accept that the oil wont last forever but the sooner a viable usable propulsion system is devised the sooner we can save the fuel thats left to still play with our cars.

But can they please stop using the 'green' story to fudge a crap solution to a real problem.

You're commercial, not private. However, if your range of business is 1 hour then an electric vehicle will be ideal. There are commercial vehicles in the pipeline for ev revolution. It's not 25 years away but only a few for you and your business.

^Qwerty^ 05 February 2018 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11993170)

Before you start about power stations making more pollution, last year a third of all the UKs electricity came from renewable sources wind/solar. With 50% coming from low carbon energy sources. This is set to increase considerably in the coming years.

I can't even begin to do the maths on Drax and how burning nearly 20,000t of tree pulp a day is sustainable. They were/are cutting down a mix of fast growing pine and hardwood to fuel our green agenda, so I wonder how many acres of trees are cut down a day and how many acres need to be re-sown to make that work, considering how many years it takes for a tree to grow. I hope not, but I suspect the wool is being pulled over our eyes on this one.