ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Getting oil off concrete? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1052510-getting-oil-off-concrete.html)

alcazar 31 January 2018 06:46 PM

Getting oil off concrete?

Eldest has done an engine transpalnt on my drive, Meg Turbo into Clio 197.

The result is an oil stain where he left the oil sump plug loose for some unknown reason.

Anyway, given that decent stuff like Gunk and Jizer are now just another form of shampoo, what works?

I had thought of building a ring of sand round it, filling with petrol and igniting?

hedgecutter 31 January 2018 08:29 PM

If colored paviors are involved , proprietary drive cleaner/degreaser detergent, trade version if possible, soak, followed by a scrub and a powerwash, repeat til faded. Watch out for fading on treated patch, allow to dry to check dry finish.
if just concrete, follow the above with some brick cleaner, scrubbed and hosed.

The Trooper 1815 01 February 2018 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11992615)
Eldest has done an engine transpalnt on my drive, Meg Turbo into Clio 197.

The result is an oil stain where he left the oil sump plug loose for some unknown reason.

Anyway, given that decent stuff like Gunk and Jizer are now just another form of shampoo, what works?

I had thought of building a ring of sand round it, filling with petrol and igniting?

Wonder Wheels is brilliant. And that is not a joke either.

1509joe 01 February 2018 02:10 PM

Washing powder sprinkled on and left needs to be damp. Works remarkably well.

SmurfyBhoy 01 February 2018 02:29 PM

Cheap asda cola leave it there, scrub, rinse & done !

gazzawrx 01 February 2018 07:30 PM

Pour some petrol over it and leave it to soak in for about 5 mins then get a stiff broom and some soapy water (fairy liquid is best as it breaks down grease) then pour the soapy water on and scrub at it with the broom, itll come straight out:thumb:

urban 02 February 2018 12:51 PM

I had something which looked like oil on my block paved drive.
I poured half a bottle of fairy liquid on it, based on a website i'd stumbled across suggested I leave it for about 3 days.

I got bored waiting, and scrubbed and washed after two days.
Stain is pretty much all gone.
I'd read about pouring coke on it, but the comments on whether it was good or not were very mixed.

dpb 02 February 2018 01:25 PM

Maybe tell him get his own drive. ,?

( This seems happen least once a year )

;)

alcazar 02 February 2018 05:48 PM

He's not been responsible before, last time it was loose oil filter on the Arse-stra. Same on the Scoob before that. But this spill is a bit worse than both of those, really thick. Going to have a go tomorrow.

Jimhno8 04 February 2018 08:57 PM

Tried brake cleaner?

alcazar 05 February 2018 12:21 PM

No. he tells me has has some Jizer from work. I'll give that a go.
Might try the petrol and ignition later, I like a decent fire.

bustaMOVEs 05 February 2018 07:25 PM

Carb cleaner

alcazar 06 February 2018 12:37 PM

The Jizer shifted most of it, it came out of a spray can. i agitated it with an old Wonder Wheels type brush, then poured 2 gallons of VERY hot water over it.

Today it's under 4" of snow, LOL

jaygsi 12 February 2018 10:20 AM

What about a tarmaced drive way?

alcazar 12 February 2018 11:19 AM

Dunno...the old Jizer and Gunk, the stuff that turned milky with water, would have dissolved the tar.