ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Poss diff fault (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1052415-poss-diff-fault.html)

Crazytourist 29 January 2018 09:33 PM

Poss diff fault

Hi all,

im new to the scooby world a new to the site, so firstly would like to say hi everyone
i have a 2001 sti which I have not long bought but don’t feel right when driving it in car parks it feels like it binds up and clonks, also I have noticed when driving it hard it feels just rwd unless this is normal are they more rear wheel than fronts ?
If any one could give me some advice on this would be great or even just tell me this is how they drive,

Thank you

rickybobby 30 January 2018 04:25 PM

if it binds on slow tight turns you have a front diff problem (inside the gearbox). Friend of mine had the same, front wheel would skid/skip on 3 point turns etc. Replaced the box in the end.

The Trooper 1815 30 January 2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Crazytourist (Post 11992208)
Hi all,

im new to the scooby world a new to the site, so firstly would like to say hi everyone
i have a 2001 sti which I have not long bought but don’t feel right when driving it in car parks it feels like it binds up and clonks, also I have noticed when driving it hard it feels just rwd unless this is normal are they more rear wheel than fronts ?
If any one could give me some advice on this would be great or even just tell me this is how they drive,

Thank you

They are Assymetric All Wheel Drive.

SouthWalesSam 30 January 2018 08:28 PM

By “driving it in car parks” I assume that’s during tight manoeuvre turns at low speeds.
In that case the skipping and clonking sounds like the centre diff has gone.

I had similar on a classic and managed to cure it with a £50 replacement from a breaker on here instead of the £900 that my local main stealer wanted.
Good luck with a fix.

RAF1 30 January 2018 08:46 PM

Or it could have an aftermarket diff.. Best get it checked out by someone in the know.

Raf

the shreksta 30 January 2018 08:47 PM

Don't the dccd boxes skip a little on tight turns in car parks, my 07 6 speed does

rickybobby 30 January 2018 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11992396)
Don't the dccd boxes skip a little on tight turns in car parks, my 07 6 speed does

2001 STI didnt come with dccd (unless its one of the JDM RA's).

I've heard of the skipping on dccd's too, my friends hawk sti does it in reverse

sivo 31 January 2018 09:39 AM

Sounds like centre diff to me.
Just gone through all this with mine, a new diff is £500 ish plus fitting.
You can just change the diff while the gearbox is still in the car but the chances are there will be other bearings related to the diff that need replacing too.
Your options are, used box and hope it lasts, replace diff and hope noting else is worn, sell the car with a bad diff.
Or you can do what I did and remove the box and have all the worn parts replaced, depending on what’s needed your looking at minimum £2000 to do it right.
The centre diff is a sealed unit with a silicone lubricant, repeated hot use breaks down the silicone and makes it less efficient and they start to wear.
The dccd diff is the same but twice as expensive.

Siv :thumb:

Nin120 31 January 2018 07:34 PM

Hi

i also am new to Scoobies and reacently had my classic Terzo serviced by Extreme Scoobies in Essex, they identified diff problems and I spoke to Impreza Breakers in Norfolk who asked for the gearbox number and when I gave it to them over the phone they speculated if it was a limited edition "something like a Terzo"! then found the correct diff with the right ratios for £70 with lateral links ( whatever they are! ) it then cost £264 for fitting. I certainly won't pretend to be an expert but I would make sure you are buying the correct diff for the car and get someone reasonably familiar with Subarus to diagnose if that is the problem. I couldn't recomend Impreza Breakers more highly (have had a hub and a power steering pump from them too) Good luck

Nin

rickybobby 31 January 2018 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nin120 (Post 11992627)
Hi

i also am new to Scoobies and reacently had my classic Terzo serviced by Extreme Scoobies in Essex, they identified diff problems and I spoke to Impreza Breakers in Norfolk who asked for the gearbox number and when I gave it to them over the phone they speculated if it was a limited edition "something like a Terzo"! then found the correct diff with the right ratios for £70 with lateral links ( whatever they are! ) it then cost £264 for fitting. I certainly won't pretend to be an expert but I would make sure you are buying the correct diff for the car and get someone reasonably familiar with Subarus to diagnose if that is the problem. I couldn't recomend Impreza Breakers more highly (have had a hub and a power steering pump from them too) Good luck

Nin

Thats a 5 speed rear diff, they are 10 a penny and around £50, and take an hour tops to change. £234 labour is brutally high. Terzo runs a 3.54 rear diff, the same as literally every uk wrx/uk2000 impreza from 1993 to 2006

The diff we are talking about with the OP is contained within the gearbox, and is 6 speed. If he's lucky it'll be the centre diff, but when my mates had the same symptoms it was the front diff and would have meant stripping the box.

Crazytourist 03 February 2018 10:32 PM

Hi guys sorry for the delay I been away working,
thank you all for your help and advice, I deffo think there is something major wrong because I have noticed when driving it in this wet weather the back end feels like its dragging when turning round roundabouts or tight turns and now noticed when turning the front does skip when it’s wet.

Does anyone kno of a garage I could take it to in Herts for some advice ?

rickybobby 03 February 2018 11:03 PM

Its a bit of a drive, but go and see Rob and Mick at RM Performance in Banbury. Rob is a subaru gearbox guru (ex API) and will be able to give you options

Crazytourist 04 February 2018 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rickybobby (Post 11993229)
Its a bit of a drive, but go and see Rob and Mick at RM Performance in Banbury. Rob is a subaru gearbox guru (ex API) and will be able to give you options

yeah that is bit of a drive for me, gotta be worth a trip there though just a long way to go if need to leave it there, thank you

JDM_Stig 04 February 2018 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Crazytourist (Post 11993226)
Hi guys sorry for the delay I been away working,
thank you all for your help and advice, I deffo think there is something major wrong because I have noticed when driving it in this wet weather the back end feels like its dragging when turning round roundabouts or tight turns and now noticed when turning the front does skip when it’s wet.

Does anyone kno of a garage I could take it to in Herts for some advice ?

Tyres, tyre pressure & alignment can all effect the front grip,
Id find a local member who knows about Impreza`s and let them drive it, and you drive theirs, see if they feel the same, or if they notice something you don`t etc.