ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Hawk STI 2.5L Forged or 2.0L JDM? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1052358-hawk-sti-2-5l-forged-or-2-0l-jdm.html)

Im_Haz 27 January 2018 12:12 AM

Hawk STI 2.5L Forged or 2.0L JDM?

Will be in the market soon for a Hawk STI, just undecided on whether its worth going for an already forged 2.5L UK Type or a JDM 2.0L??

Is one more reliable than the other considering a 2.5L is fully forged yet the JDM is claimed to have better stock internals?

Any massive pros/cons to either one??

Or just scrap it and go for a regular Hawk UK Type STI??

Hawkeye D 27 January 2018 04:26 AM

Personally, I'd get a forged 2.5 UK car.
A forged 2.5 if built well, does make for a great road car with bags of torque available. Piston slap when cold, but that's normal with forged pistons....slightly more clearance in the bores to allow for piston expansion when hot.

Some people will avoid a 2.5 full stop - forged or not.

A con for me on a 2.0 JDM is that (I think) they are all twin scroll turbo (no biggie) but run equal length exhaust manifolds....losing the Subaru burble which, lets face it, is why most of us are here.

My forged 2.5 STi Spec D is 450 bhp capable, but runs a mere 342bhp / 410lb ft torque with standard turbo, injectors etc, and was mapped for V-Power fuel by Bob Rawle 2 1/2 years ago (when I had the engine forged)
I do have a couple of Prodrive exhaust sections, but it's a nice subtle quiet(ish) car.

A JDM may well be better out of the box, but a forged 2.5 can be just as good.
Or, like I did, buy a non forged 2.5 and factor in a decent build of approx. £4-5k

Of course, be sure to see proper build invoices, and maybe contact the builder to see if they remember the car. Lots of people are "told" that engines are forged but with no back-up paperwork, and that the paperwork "got lost a few owners ago" etc.

domino46 27 January 2018 07:49 AM

has to be a forged 2.5 for me every time

bonesetter 27 January 2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D (Post 11991657)
A forged 2.5 if built well, does make for a great road car with bags of torque available. Piston slap when cold, but that's normal with forged pistons....slightly more clearance in the bores to allow for piston expansion when hot.

A con for me on a 2.0 JDM is that (I think) they are all twin scroll turbo (no biggie) but run equal length exhaust manifolds....losing the Subaru burble which, lets face it, is why most of us are here.

My forged 2.5 STi Spec D is 450 bhp capable, but runs a mere 342bhp / 410lb ft torque with standard turbo, injectors etc, and was mapped for V-Power fuel by Bob Rawle 2 1/2 years ago (when I had the engine forged)
I do have a couple of Prodrive exhaust sections, but it's a nice subtle quiet(ish) car.

Or, like I did, buy a non forged 2.5 and factor in a decent build of approx. £4-5k

Of course, be sure to see proper build invoices, and maybe contact the builder to see if they remember the car. Lots of people are "told" that engines are forged but with no back-up paperwork, and that the paperwork "got lost a few owners ago" etc.

A convincing argument :) And one I agree with :)

With all the 'advantages' JDM brings, some of the Scooby character is certainly lost with the equal headers (for one thing). Many don't mind that and when they hear the un-equal lub-dub think inefficiency and compromise (which it is). Thinking you're missing a little power when let's face it we're talking Subaru which is big power anyway is lame.

JDM's are revvy - and love to do it relentlessly up to 8K rpm. Is that your style of driving? You drive a 2.5 on the torque, with the accompanying soundtrack

There are more differences too

Both are great. If you're new to Subaru, you need to test drive both as they are quite a different experience

sivo 27 January 2018 10:21 AM

It’s been said many times that a jdm car is better equipped, I don’t doubt this but once you start modding and upping the power there’s not a lot in it.

My background was motorbikes and my 2 wheel love affair ended on a fireblade and a few broken bones. I spent almost 5 years riding a Ducati 916 that got me hooked to the burble of a v twin.

I feel the same about Subaru, without the soundtrack it’s just not ‘subaru’

Siv :thumb:

man utd 27 January 2018 10:28 AM

2.0 jdm everyday for me, love the twinscroll sound when you push the car and never any issues re dbs when doing track days also never miss the burble but guess it's all down to personal choice and what you use the car for :-)

NotFromSomerset 27 January 2018 10:42 AM

You really need to drive both as they are completely different expiriences. I much prefer the twinscroll 2.0. yes you lose the burble but it sounds epic up the rev range with an aftermarket exhaust! :thumb:

Twinscroll all the way for me

Anger 27 January 2018 11:39 AM

Another for Twinscroll 2.0 here, I prefer the sound on full chat

TECHNOPUG 27 January 2018 11:56 AM

JDM with unequal headers and single scroll turbo?

Twin scroll can't be the only benefit of the JDM as you can fit a TS to a 2.5 also.

bonesetter 27 January 2018 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11991704)

Twin scroll can't be the only benefit of the JDM as you can fit a TS to a 2.5 also.

But why take something off your performance car and replace with something inferior?

Rob Day 27 January 2018 12:10 PM

2.5 forged with a twin scroll setup? Best of both worlds!

bonesetter 27 January 2018 12:15 PM

Twin scroll's overated :)

Anger 27 January 2018 12:31 PM

Mines 2.1 Twinscroll

I would see what comes up at the price you are looking at and take it for there, I’ve owned 2.0’s 2.1’s 2.35’s and 2.5’s and all have been totally different to drive at different power levels

Im_Haz 27 January 2018 12:55 PM

Appreciate all the comments and thoughts, seems to be fairly mixed so will definitely have a test with both.

Just about waiting for the right one to come up I suppose, leaning towards the forged 2.5 slightly though as a few of you have stated, who doesn't love the scooby burble;)

Anger 27 January 2018 01:12 PM

As a road car the 2.5 is perfect with the torque

Jon T 27 January 2018 01:28 PM

+1 for the 2.5 once forged and mapped the torque is amazing even off boost and the sound :notworthy

fpan 27 January 2018 01:31 PM

I like the linearity a 2.0 twinscroll gives, the low down torque, the sound it makes between 4-8k and the willingness to rev.

Im_Haz 27 January 2018 03:08 PM

Seems to be just down to personal preference really and what you want out of the car, as for me it would a daily driver.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D (Post 11991657)

The idea of doing it myself for that kind of money is tempting to be be fair, anyone you'd recommend that around that price range or a little bit more if needed?

stonejedi 27 January 2018 03:30 PM

2.5 has lovely torque for the road....but if I was in the market for one it would have to be fully forged already or a JDM twin scroll 2.0 litre would be the way to go.SJ.

RAGGY DOO 27 January 2018 05:48 PM

Never drove the 2.5 but it would have to b freakin great to compare with the Jdm ts

jazzyjembreaze 27 January 2018 08:30 PM

^
Well mine will spank yours ass for sure lol :)

NotFromSomerset 27 January 2018 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Day (Post 11991711)

Nah it's all about that 8k redline Rob!

The Trooper 1815 27 January 2018 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 11991677)
A convincing argument :) And one I agree with :)

With all the 'advantages' JDM brings, some of the Scooby character is certainly lost with the equal headers (for one thing). Many don't mind that and when they hear the un-equal lub-dub think inefficiency and compromise (which it is). Thinking you're missing a little power when let's face it we're talking Subaru which is big power anyway is lame.

JDM's are revvy - and love to do it relentlessly up to 8K rpm. Is that your style of driving? You drive a 2.5 on the torque, with the accompanying soundtrack

There are more differences too

Both are great. If you're new to Subaru, you need to test drive both as they are quite a different experience

Bugeye JDM cars are not Twinscroll (including the STi) and neither are the JDM WRX.
But the overall better equipment spec should be taken into consideration.

The Trooper 1815 27 January 2018 09:17 PM

The Legacy 2.5 JDM cars are twinscroll.

scoobypaul_temp 27 January 2018 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Day (Post 11991711)

I currently have a forged 2.5 running 447 with the older MD321H - what would I gain (and lose) going twinscroll, using an equivalent turbo?

bonesetter 27 January 2018 09:23 PM

I've ran two of each and still it's a treasure chest discovery

man utd 27 January 2018 09:34 PM

We are moving away from topic
A jdm 2.0 twinscroll just needs exhaust, fuel pump, air filter and remap and is awesome, no need for a 10k min spend and resale value is good 😊

The Trooper 1815 27 January 2018 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by man utd (Post 11991868)
We are moving away from topic
A jdm 2.0 twinscroll just needs exhaust, fuel pump, air filter and remap and is awesome, no need for a 10k min spend and resale value is good 😊

^^^^^^

RAGGY DOO 27 January 2018 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze (Post 11991850)
^
Well mine will spank yours ass for sure lol :)

A Renault kangoo is quicker than mine at the moment mate

Peedee 27 January 2018 11:45 PM

Ive owned a fair few Imprezas now, both twin and single scroll. It’s a tough one. However, for me personally, it’s the single scroll setup that wins. I prefer the sound and the power delivery. Yes, the twinscroll setup is more linear and spools earlier, but for normal driving on UK roads, especially motorways, the single scroll / UK ratios is a better setup. Especially with the 2.5, you can sit on the motorway off boost and chilled....you can’t do that in a JDM, it’s always pulling at the leash. That’s fine for a Sunday blast / on the track etc, but for a normal journey, I found it irritating.