ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Sodding stupid FIAT!!!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1051946-sodding-stupid-fiat.html)

alcazar 04 January 2018 01:45 PM

Sodding stupid FIAT!!!!!!

My Corsa 1.3CDTi needs it's Bosch fuel pump refurbished. (Don't get me started on so-called german engineering!)
I'm going to have a go myself: parts are £50 instead of the £700 for a new pump.

Unfortunately, it's a FIAT engine and the high pressure pipe from pump to fuel rail is a FIAT part and recommended to be changed.

So I order one. 19th Dec. Told it would be 7-10 days due to FIAT moving their warehouse.:brickwall

The lass has just rang me today from the local FIAT parts. Her order came today, 17 days from it being sent in. Half of it missing. My bit included. Meanwhile FIAT tell her my part is still in Italy and please will she re-order...7-10 MORE days!!!!:mad:

What annoys me the most is that if SHE had messed up, FIAT would have been onto the dealership like ton of spaghetti.
But THEY mess up....oh dear....:rolleyes:

Tidgy 04 January 2018 01:46 PM

phone watchdog and complain

dpb 04 January 2018 01:52 PM

read it wrong,assumed tirade aimed at overweight mothers !

dpb 04 January 2018 01:53 PM

Always but french and petrol -much more reliable :)

alcazar 04 January 2018 02:09 PM

French?

Muahahahahahaha.

Until the electrics let go......

alcazar 04 January 2018 02:13 PM

Rung FIAT, in ITALY!
(Well, got put through to Italy). "Unfortunately, signor, because your vehicle is a Vauxhall and not a FIAT, there's nothning we can do. Please contact Vauxhall". P*ss useless.

Bloody EU.

1509joe 04 January 2018 02:22 PM

All associated pipework is supposed to be renewed. Does'nt happen very often screw them back on.

alcazar 04 January 2018 04:15 PM

Got one coming tomorrow by post from a place in Derby that does FIAT commercials, they had one on the shelf.

Cost me £3.50 postage, but what the hell, live dangerously. :D

Dr Hu 04 January 2018 04:24 PM

You are supposed to replace them as they are a 'crush' fit - a bit like brake unions

The rail pressure on common rail diesels is pretty fcuking high mind you, so I can understand why they ask for them to be changed (up to 36,000psi) - hahahahaha

ALi-B 04 January 2018 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Hu (Post 11987308)
You are supposed to replace them as they are a 'crush' fit - a bit like brake unions

The rail pressure on common rail diesels is pretty fcuking high mind you, so I can understand why they ask for them to be changed (up to 36,000psi) - hahahahaha

Whilst knowing this; I've must have un-done and reused hundreds, if not thousands of HP pipes for various reason and never had one leak. What I find more of a concern is debris especially if contaminated due to a HP pump failure.

Sometimes they can get mega corroded on cars used near coastal areas, in which case I wouldn't reuse them.

I get more leaks from the O-rings on the injector spill return pipes going mushy; and they only have to deal with a few psi :rolleyes:

alcazar 05 January 2018 06:22 AM

Seem to be a few of these supposed "German Engineering" pumps going leaky..........

ditchmyster 05 January 2018 06:53 AM

I think these days with any type of engineering... you're doing well if it outlasts the warranty period.

How old is the car? I'm guessing well past the warranty.

Again this is why I've gone old school... £700 for a pump is just ridiculous, I own a Renault 4 that didn't cost that much, including a load of service items, 4 new tyres and a years tax, insurance and MOT. :lol1:

Retro for the win. :thumb:

ALi-B 05 January 2018 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11987416)
Seem to be a few of these supposed "German Engineering" pumps going leaky..........

Blame the FAME and drop in Sulphur content.

Bosch used to say absolutely no bio in diesel...yet the EU amended the EN590 specification to allow up to 7%.

dpb 05 January 2018 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11987417)
I think these days with any type of engineering... you're doing well if it outlasts the warranty period.

How old is the car? I'm guessing well past the warranty.

Again this is why I've gone old school... £700 for a pump is just ridiculous, I own a Renault 4 that didn't cost that much, including a load of service items, 4 new tyres and a years tax, insurance and MOT. :lol1:

Retro for the win. :thumb:

hows your rear suspension hangers ? !

ALi-B 05 January 2018 10:25 AM

Oh yes...Forgot; Bosch pumps were made to Fiat's specification...as Fiat at the time will have still owned the Patents to the tech (was sold to them in the end, but pretty sure there is a licensing kick back).

It was Fiat that invented the modern common rail fuel system.

Quite savvy those Italians with hydraulic tech; Invent it, then get some other mug to make it! Their multi-air inlet valve hydraulics have now found their way into Jaguar's new Petrol engine...all made by Schaeffler, more Germans! The early ones had a habit of falling apart (Alfa MiTo/Punto EVO). :lol1: