ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   New Turbo. Is it drivable Prior to remap/tune (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1051935-new-turbo-is-it-drivable-prior-to-remap-tune.html)

Charlie_89 03 January 2018 11:39 AM

New Turbo. Is it drivable Prior to remap/tune

Hello all.

So I am about to upgrade my stock TD04L 13t turbo on my 2006 WRX. I waiting on my 19t conersion kit and 11 blade turbine wheel arriving. Any way I'm going to send the turbo down to Turbo Dymamic to get it rebuild and have the new parts fitted.

I will of course get the car mapped however I was planning on getting the remap done a month or 2 after I've had the upgraded turbo fitted.

My question is will the car to ok to drive prior to getting the car mapped? I know the performance will be affected but is there any other concerns regarding this?

I wouldn't be thrashing it or anything Inbetween the new upgraded turbo being installed and the tune.

1509joe 03 January 2018 02:06 PM

In short no.

iMook 03 January 2018 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie_89 (Post 11987081)
My question is will the car to ok to drive prior to getting the car mapped? I know the performance will be affected but is there any other concerns regarding this?

It'll be OK to drive onto a trailer, off the trailer and onto a dyno to have it mapped, but there's no way I would drive it any more than that.

SmurfyBhoy 03 January 2018 03:07 PM

Drove my car best part of 60 miles to tuner

After switching to larger injectors with FPR

New Bigger Turbo

3 port solenoid

New Manifold & Up-Pipe

I wouldn't advise trying to use it daily for 2 months,

But if you keep off boost it will be fine, folk have driven hundreds of miles to visit tuners before.

But it could all go very wrong very quickly if you let it see any real load,

If its only the turbo you have swapped it should be fine if you stay outside the boost zone at low revs/low load.

Gambit 03 January 2018 05:37 PM

you can drive away at it, just keep it off boost...

TECHNOPUG 03 January 2018 05:43 PM

I presume the issue is that you are using your current TD04 for the conversion and therefore need to refit it before you can drive it to be mapped - then booking mapping and affording it may delay it for a couple of months?

If so, I would buy a second hand TD04 (£50) and use that for the conversion. Meaning you can keep driving your car. Then I'd choose a mapper who also does the mechanical work, so it can be fitted and mapped at the same time.

Charlie_89 04 January 2018 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11987148)
I presume the issue is that you are using your current TD04 for the conversion and therefore need to refit it before you can drive it to be mapped - then booking mapping and affording it may delay it for a couple of months?

If so, I would buy a second hand TD04 (£50) and use that for the conversion. Meaning you can keep driving your car. Then I'd choose a mapper who also does the mechanical work, so it can be fitted and mapped at the same time.

Thats a good idea. Yeah your spot on, I was wanting to spread the cost over 2 months or so. That seems like a good route to take. I'll have a look to see how cheep I can find one. Don't think I want to risk driving around with my 19t turbo fitted missing a tune by the advise provided.

bludgod 04 January 2018 10:14 AM

as technopug says you can usually pickup a TD04 for about £50 quid, failing that fit it and just run a line from the wastegate to the compressor, no T for the boost solenoid. You'll occasionally get an error code flash up for the wastegate operation but you can scan and clear it with a cheapy scan tool. Then when mapping day comes hook the solenoid in (or 3port instead of the factory 2port) adjust the wastegate arm and off you go.

Nezscooby 04 January 2018 05:00 PM

You can drive it but just keep it off boost and you be fine a lot of Subaru tuners told me that its ok to drive it off the boost......

asht88 04 January 2018 06:23 PM

Totally fine just don’t go crazy

Henrik 04 January 2018 10:38 PM

Of course it will be fine to drive off boost - this is exactly how most people get their cars to their mappers after changing bits.

The key is to keep off boost, though, and as above, I probably wouldn't daily drive it for months either, because knowing myself, I'd forget at some point and accelerate too quickly by accident.

Henrik 04 January 2018 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by bludgod (Post 11987236)
as technopug says you can usually pickup a TD04 for about £50 quid, failing that fit it and just run a line from the wastegate to the compressor, no T for the boost solenoid. You'll occasionally get an error code flash up for the wastegate operation but you can scan and clear it with a cheapy scan tool. Then when mapping day comes hook the solenoid in (or 3port instead of the factory 2port) adjust the wastegate arm and off you go.

Running a vacuum line from the compressor to the wastegate will still give you base boost (which IIRC was about 0.5bar on my td04).

Linksfahrer 08 January 2018 03:39 PM

10 mm Spanner gets you to mapper

If you have to drive a hill , then you may end up using boost ,
I drove my WRX from Frankfurt to West Yorks but could not get up the Meuse valley hill on E40 at Liege on a new TD05 16G, with 550 cc's Injectors.

If that happens ( does anyway circa 3000 - 3,500 rpm) then you will
pull Timing. Car will judder to a halt , and the best way to get it going again is to pull the negative off the battery , need 10mm spanner ;) .

That will clear the ECU recent Timing value. You can limp on to the mapper.:thumb:

DTVHSR 09 January 2018 04:00 PM

I was actually going to ask the same question, I'll need to drive 125 miles after removing a TD04 and fitting a VF43 (standard base map) and exhaust change...

Eacy 09 January 2018 04:12 PM

I went from Copenhagen, to AFP i Scotland, OFF boost the hole way, no problem..

DTVHSR 09 January 2018 04:21 PM

Haha I think you win that one.

I'll just connect up my OBD2 and keep an eye on my AFR/ boost/ timing etc.

Linksfahrer 10 January 2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Eacy (Post 11988329)
I went from Copenhagen, to AFP i Scotland, OFF boost the hole way, no problem..

You could of course also do the DK Ferry Esberg-to South Shields
or Amsterdam to Newcastle.

Off boost and sleeping in your cabin 70% of the way :thumb: