ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Spec C prices (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1051892-spec-c-prices.html)

NotFromSomerset 31 December 2017 05:55 PM

Spec C prices

Looking for a Spec C but prices recently seem to be a bit all over the place :wonder:
What sort of money would you be paying for a standardish hawkeye with low to reasonable mileage?
There's an RA with most of the original bits stripped off on eBay atm for 20k? Really?

rossyboy 31 December 2017 06:36 PM

Spec C and Spec C RA are very different cars. An RA is worth several £k more, although the one on eBay has been spoiled somewhat. Don’t see him getting £20k any time soon.

Rab555 31 December 2017 06:46 PM

Was lucky to find mine, although it’s not a Hawkeye I still paid a fair bit, prices are getting up there now

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...600741dda.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...9d77625a0.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...962fd4115.jpeg

​​​​​​​

leeroywrx 31 December 2017 08:12 PM

It’s my Spec c type RA on eBay.Ive been offered £18500 this week which I’ve declined.The car has been looked after by scoobyclinic and they commented its the cleanest Impreza they have seen.The wheels were changed as it came into the country with blue “ fast and furious “ alloys.The shock absorbers were also changed in Japan.I have the other standard parts for the car like the ecu/air box etc.Everyones entitled to their opinion but I don’t agree that it’s been spoilt.

johned 31 December 2017 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 11986588)
Spec C and Spec C RA are very different cars. An RA is worth several £k more, although the one on eBay has been spoiled somewhat. Don’t see him getting £20k any time soon.

In what way do you think the car has been spoiled.

Dan1 31 December 2017 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 11986588)

Very different? Not really.
There is way more difference between a regular STI and a Spec-C than there is between a Spec-C and a Spec-C RA.

The type RA has the carbon fibre rear wing, 4-way adjustable STI suspension and a different set of alloys compared to a regular Spec-C, and that's it.

What makes it so special is plain and simple the limited run of only 300 units. Anything that only comes in limited quantities is naturally valued higher.
Having said that, 20k does sound reasonable to me.

rossyboy 31 December 2017 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1 (Post 11986618)
There is way more difference between a regular STI and a Spec-C than there is between a Spec-C and a Spec-C RA.

The type RA has the carbon fibre rear wing, 4-way adjustable STI suspension and a different set of alloys compared to a regular Spec-C, and that's it.

What makes it so special is plain and simple the limited run of only 300 units. Anything that only comes in limited quantities is naturally valued higher.

Wrong car. You’re talking about a Blobeye, not Hawkeye.

rossyboy 31 December 2017 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by johned (Post 11986614)
In what way do you think the car has been spoiled.

Replacement ECU and Tein suspension. Needs the pukka STI suspension to hold value IMO

fpan 01 January 2018 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dan1 (Post 11986618)

+ all pillowball trailing arms and lateral links.
Retrofitting all the above to a Spec C would cost ££££

Dan1 01 January 2018 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 11986630)
Wrong car. You’re talking about a Blobeye, not Hawkeye.

You're right, the blobeye type RA pics in the 3rd post threw me off.
So minus the carbon fibre rear wing and plus STI trailing arms and lateral links, and I believe 350 units total iirc for the Hawk.

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 11986633)
+ all pillowball trailing arms and lateral links.
Retrofitting all the above to a Spec C would cost ££££

True for Hawk RA, Blob RA however only had std trailing arms and laterals as found on STI / Spec-C.

fpan 01 January 2018 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dan1 (Post 11986636)
You're right, the blobeye type RA pics in the 3rd post threw me off.
So minus the carbon fibre rear wing and plus STI trailing arms and lateral links, and I believe 350 units total iirc for the Hawk.

True for Hawk RA, Blob RA however only had std trailing arms and laterals as found on STI / Spec-C.

You learn something new every day, cheers!

bonesetter 01 January 2018 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 11986631)
Replacement ECU and Tein suspension. Needs the pukka STI suspension to hold value IMO

Shocking that Tein's could end up on a Spec C

TonyBurns 02 January 2018 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by NotFromSomerset (Post 11986583)
Looking for a Spec C but prices recently seem to be a bit all over the place :wonder:
What sort of money would you be paying for a standardish hawkeye with low to reasonable mileage?
There's an RA with most of the original bits stripped off on eBay atm for 20k? Really?

OP, if you want something totally different that will hold its value then look at the S203/S204 models (there is an originaland unspoilt S203 for sale on ebay).
The mechanical differences between the Spec C and post MY05 JDM cars is very little, they share the same geometry and larger ported engines (MY03/04 cars didnt), and an S series car is rare as rocking horse poo. Worth looking at.

NotFromSomerset 02 January 2018 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 11987002)
OP, if you want something totally different that will hold its value then look at the S203/S204 models (there is an originaland unspoilt S203 for sale on ebay).
The mechanical differences between the Spec C and post MY05 JDM cars is very little, they share the same geometry and larger ported engines (MY03/04 cars didnt), and an S series car is rare as rocking horse poo. Worth looking at.

My heart was originally set on an S204 but I think I would always have a feeling I should have had the spec C for the superior weight and chassis. The spec c is the ultimate for me. Also I don't think I'd fit in those tiny Jap seats!!

Anger 03 January 2018 07:02 AM

I didn’t think I would come back to Subaru’s and had been looking at Evo 8 & 9’s until a Hawk Spec C popped up and changed my mind

NotFromSomerset 03 January 2018 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Anger (Post 11987027)
I didn’t think I would come back to Subaru’s and had been looking at Evo 8 & 9’s until a Hawk Spec C popped up and changed my mind

Have to say an evo IX RS or GT would be a tempting proposition.....

Anger 03 January 2018 04:19 PM

I had a modded Evo 8 MR in Grey a few years ago, was a great car and shouldn’t really have sold it

fpan 03 January 2018 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by NotFromSomerset (Post 11987013)
My heart was originally set on an S204 but I think I would always have a feeling I should have had the spec C for the superior weight and chassis. The spec c is the ultimate for me. Also I don't think I'd fit in those tiny Jap seats!!

The Spec C may be lighter but the S car has the superior chassis and all STi chassis upgrades (e.g. STi pink 4-way adjustable shocks, pillow ball lateral links & trailing arms etc.)

NotFromSomerset 03 January 2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 11987144)
The Spec C may be lighter but the S car has the superior chassis and all STi chassis upgrades (e.g. STi pink 4-way adjustable shocks, pillow ball lateral links & trailing arms etc.)

I don't believe it has the reinforced strut towers, extra seam and chassis welding and strengthening though as it's based on the JDM as opposed to spec c?
Trailing arms etc can be upgraded/replaced

fpan 03 January 2018 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by NotFromSomerset (Post 11987145)
I don't believe it has the reinforced strut towers, extra seam and chassis welding and strengthening though as it's based on the JDM as opposed to spec c?
Trailing arms etc can be upgraded/replaced

I am not sure on that but for a road and occasional track car I prefer the S car unless you are going to rally it.

You will feel more the suspension upgrades rather than the chassis welding etc. but that's just my opinion :) .

rossyboy 03 January 2018 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 11987144)

Hawkeye Spec C RA has all of that though, with all of the lightweight benefits too :)

I wouldn’t have an Evo 9 GT over my RA, as it’s not ‘special’ enough - only an MR 360 would tempt me.... HKS edition 360 in red for me please!!

Rab555 03 January 2018 07:28 PM

I may be wrong, but I’m sure the Ra cars are smaller in numbers that the S models?

NotFromSomerset 03 January 2018 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 11987151)
I am not sure on that but for a road and occasional track car I prefer the S car unless you are going to rally it.

You will feel more the suspension upgrades rather than the chassis welding etc. but that's just my opinion :) .

Tbf it would be worth it just for those BBS :banana:

rossyboy 03 January 2018 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rab555 (Post 11987172)
I may be wrong, but I’m sure the Ra cars are smaller in numbers that the S models?

Yup, nearly twice as many.

555 S203 vs 300 Blobeye RA
600 S204 vs 350 Hawkeye RA

NotFromSomerset 04 January 2018 11:38 AM

I don't suppose anyone has been keeping their eyes on Jap auction prices recently? I know the Yen is terrible atm but would i be likely to get more car for the money? What could I expect for say £16k on the road in UK?

wrx_driver 04 January 2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by NotFromSomerset (Post 11987248)
I don't suppose anyone has been keeping their eyes on Jap auction prices recently? I know the Yen is terrible atm but would i be likely to get more car for the money? What could I expect for say £16k on the road in UK?

http://www.type-ra.com/subaru-forum/...uction-spy.95/

Tidgy 04 January 2018 02:13 PM

comon as muck, what does that make my STI ltd worth being 1 of 25?

TonyBurns 05 January 2018 05:47 PM

I've owned 2 Spec C's, but if it were between a Spec C and an S car, the S car wins hands down.
Its easier to live with, more power out of the box, all the goodies, comfier, rarer (yes they are, only about 3 S203's in the UK and about as many S204's), hold their price better (just look at the S202's now, going up in value), and generally far better equipped (carbon fibre Recaro's anybody? a mere 2.5k each!!).

Seam welding and strengthened suspension turrets, absolutely wont notice that on the road, its for rallying, mainly the Grp N cars as they get a bit of abuse on the rough stages, it can be done with a standard shell (Prodrive used the GL/KL's in 2003/04 instead of the Spec C's) for rallying.

Also, if you are buying a limited edition car, don't touch one that has been modified and does not have the parts to put it back to standard, it won't keep its value.

rossyboy 05 January 2018 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 11987517)
I've owned 2 Spec C's, but if it were between a Spec C and an S car, the S car wins hands down.
Its easier to live with, more power out of the box, all the goodies, comfier, rarer (yes they are, only about 3 S203's in the UK and about as many S204's), hold their price better (just look at the S202's now, going up in value), and generally far better equipped (carbon fibre Recaro's anybody? a mere 2.5k each!!).

Seam welding and strengthened suspension turrets, absolutely wont notice that on the road, its for rallying, mainly the Grp N cars as they get a bit of abuse on the rough stages, it can be done with a standard shell (Prodrive used the GL/KL's in 2003/04 instead of the Spec C's) for rallying.

Also, if you are buying a limited edition car, don't touch one that has been modified and does not have the parts to put it back to standard, it won't keep its value.

BUT....

Imprezas are desireable for their links to rallying and rawness, not for being easier to live with and being ‘comfy’. The S202 was more hardcore than the 203/204 was it not?

I think you’re showing your age Tony :D

The S cars seem to take far longer to sell than the Spec C & RA - just look how long it took to sell that S203 last time despite being only about £15k.

**jay** 05 January 2018 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 11987540)
BUT....

Imprezas are desireable for their links to rallying and rawness, not for being easier to live with and being ‘comfy’. The S202 was more hardcore than the 203/204 was it not?

I think you’re showing your age Tony :D

The S cars seem to take far longer to sell than the Spec C & RA - just look how long it took to sell that S203 last time despite being only about £15k.

Yeh nearlly bought it, it looks a great car but a spec c ra come up at the same time think i made the right choice with the ra 😀