ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Alcohol and you...talk to me. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1051759-alcohol-and-you-talk-to-me.html)

matty01 21 December 2017 08:42 PM

Alcohol and you...talk to me.

What is your relation to alcohol?

Why do you drink?

Why do we as a society drink so much/so often?

...questions like that...

happy yule logtmas and merry next year etc etc ;)

the shreksta 21 December 2017 09:45 PM

Don't drink anymore, I have no need for it so I don't do it. I work 6 days a week......the last thing I need is a sore head @ frekking 3am when I get up.

Peedee 21 December 2017 11:21 PM

Very rarely drink, mainly because I just don’t get any enjoyment from it. I do find it worrying though how many women seem to think a couple of glasses of wine every night, without fail, is acceptable.

I also find it quite a sad state of affairs that a lot of folk can’t seem to have a good time without alcohol. So many people I know can’t seem to have a laugh / good time without alcohol being involved in one way or another.

the shreksta 21 December 2017 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Peedee (Post 11985075)
Very rarely drink, mainly because I just don’t get any enjoyment from it. I do find it worrying though how many women seem to think a couple of glasses of wine every night, without fail, is acceptable.

I also find it quite a sad state of affairs that a lot of folk can’t seem to have a good time without alcohol. So many people I know can’t seem to have a laugh / good time without alcohol being involved in one way or another.

Same with drugs, it's a sad state of affairs when you have to get off ya face just to have a good time........if life's that bad just fekking kill ya self. :cuckoo:

ALi-B 22 December 2017 12:21 AM

To sum it up in one line...It numbs me; I overthink a lot.

I would probably be addicted if my body could handle it; Same goes for expresso which instead of numbing, amplifies everything, seriously you don't want me to drive if I've had more than two strong coffees. Since regulating my diet I also suffer similar with excessive sugar intake too like if I binge eat a packet of hob nobs.

And secondly, nearly all soft drinks are far far too sweet. Even worse now they've become "low sugar" as its now full of sweeteners instead which leave an aftertaste akin to a half charged 9volt battery on the tongue.

So beer, single malt or water, maybe if I'm out and bored of water I'll ask for squash concentrate in a shot glass with a pint of water to mix it myself.

Never liked being "off my face", it almost always ends with "spinny room" when I eventually retire, never a good end to a night.

Steve001 22 December 2017 01:31 AM

I ownwee dwink noo and agwain, to be swochible [hic]

ZANY 22 December 2017 05:03 AM

Stopped drinking alcohol 11 years ago best thing I ever did.... all them bloody calories and mornings waking up thinking we’re the fack am I :confused: :lol1:

gpssti4 22 December 2017 07:14 AM

With regards to alcohol: I don't drink anymore.

But there again, I don't drink any less either.

Simes777 22 December 2017 08:00 AM

I've never even drunk a pint of beer or lager - took a couple of sips when I was about 16 and thought "why would you drink this stuff, it's horrible"

dpb 22 December 2017 08:37 AM

It does seem to be a bit of a national obsession , until you compare us with some other countries

Had a month off alcohol last month ( shared tipple when Mugabe resigned)and most this month. It's been ok

Had some bavaria wit 0 percent . Still plenty calories mind

dpb 22 December 2017 09:18 AM

I would certainly miss a a light hoppy pint bitter in pub garden in summer

and likewise the occasional proper belgian lager at home

lozgti1 22 December 2017 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11985112)
I would certainly miss a a light hoppy pint bitter in pub garden in summer

Heaven:thumb: Normally with my cricket team mates after a game

dpb 22 December 2017 09:39 AM

Lots craft zero alcohol beers on the rise which are just about ok but cant get them everywhere .
That and the odd whisky evening and wine with meal occasionally , is all i desire now

rossyboy 22 December 2017 09:55 AM

55 units a week for me. White wine, with the odd Weissbier or cider thrown in at the weekend.

The guideline of 14 units is utter nonsense, though I’m well aware I drink a bit too much. No intention to reduce it really though.

joz8968 22 December 2017 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11985080)
...which leave an aftertaste akin to a half charged 9volt battery on the tongue

I love that 'taste'/zinging sensation. :cuckoo:

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11985080)
...Never liked being "off my face", it almost always ends with "spinny room"

Plus this. I really love that sensation. Makes you feel like you're on the Waltzer! :cool:

DTB 22 December 2017 11:06 AM

Alcohol is very important to me because my job depends on it (grain/malting industry).

Personally, I occasionally drink because I enjoy the taste. It's been years since I last drank enough to get hammered. I like small batch gins mostly, and enjoy a nice tall , crisp G&T sitting in the garden with my missus on a warm summer evening. Or a nice G&T in front of the stove on a cold winter's night. Or a nice G&T as I look out of the window and watch the autumn leaves fall from the trees. Or a nice G&T on a clear spring day as the birds call for mates and the daffodils wave in the breeze. Sometimes I like a gin & ginger ale. Gin for the win.

Peedee 22 December 2017 11:13 AM

I find the whole ‘Stoptober’ thing (or whatever it is) a bit of an issue aswell. If you find not drinking for 30 day’s is a challenge, you should really start asking yourself some questions.

joz8968 22 December 2017 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by DTB (Post 11985154)
...I like small batch gins mostly, and enjoy a nice tall , crisp G&T sitting in the garden with my missus on a warm summer evening. Or a nice G&T in front of the stove on a cold winter's night. Or a nice G&T as I look out of the window and watch the autumn leaves fall from the trees. Or a nice G&T on a clear spring day as the birds call for mates and the daffodils wave in the breeze. Sometimes I like a gin & ginger ale. Gin for the win.

- "You smell nice, dear. What is it?"

- "Gin."

lozgti1 22 December 2017 04:19 PM

lol !

I can't get enough mulled wine at this time of year. Drinkcember :D

Can't be doing with my body is a temple.lol

99.9% of detractors reformed alcoholics :D

njkmrs 22 December 2017 04:26 PM

Feck offfff

Sorry I get that way when ive had a beer....!

andy97 22 December 2017 04:52 PM

Cut right back about 7 years ago. I have probably 5 units a month and can quite easily do without a drop.

Peedee 22 December 2017 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by njkmrs (Post 11985235)
Feck offfff

Sorry I get that way when ive had a beer....!

2 can Van Dam!

njkmrs 22 December 2017 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Peedee (Post 11985242)
2 can Van Dam!

Yeh but its Super Tennants....!! :thumb:

the shreksta 22 December 2017 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by njkmrs (Post 11985243)
Yeh but its Super Tennants....!! :thumb:

Aaahhhhh.........central heating for tramps :lol1:

njkmrs 22 December 2017 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11985248)

Lol..:lol1:

ZANY 22 December 2017 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11985248)

:lol::lol::notworthy:lol::lol:

Fackin hit the nail on the head there pal nasty **** that is! :nono: :eek:

RAGGY DOO 22 December 2017 07:24 PM

Here I am at 7.24 lashing down white wine

ZANY 22 December 2017 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11985269)
Here I am at 7.24 lashing down white wine

You little naughty monster :lol1: :thumb:

Wull 22 December 2017 07:48 PM

I haven’t drank in over 10yrs, iirc my last drink was the 7/8th of December 2007.

Not even a sip, I’d feel terrible if I even had a sip, let alone a pint. Don’t miss it one bit.

lozgti1 22 December 2017 08:19 PM

Why is everyone so proud of not drinking?! I think it is for a reason.lol.

As dbp said, warm summers day, cracking beer on a hot summer's evening. Then Christmas and a warm mulled wine on a cold night. Beautiful. Then an egg nog on Christmas day. Maybe a cheeky sherry

Then every other day of the year, a night out with a beautiful wine to go with your meal.

Why are English people so embarrassed about enjoying life and so keen to be not seen as a drinker?

I think in secret they are.Lol

Stop worrying about justifying it and enjoy life :D

Goodness me Daily Mail people make me smile :lol1:

My God I wish we were a bit more European and did not wear fit twatbits and worry about a snifter. Remember being on a rugby tour at 14 and the french family offering me wine:thumb:

Get a grip and meat wont kill you either. It's meat. We are omnivores:lol1: