ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Fancy a Touareg (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1051740-fancy-a-touareg.html)

ZANY 20 December 2017 07:30 AM

Fancy a Touareg

What’s your guys thoughts on this one as Range rovers are out of the question now and so are landrovers and hummers after all advice taken on board it’s gotta be a vw don’t like landcruisers not to my taste although bulletproof

All opinions and advice welcomed

Yess I’m getting old and want to sit high and comfy in a nice heated seat :lol1:

imprezagaz 20 December 2017 07:44 AM

What about a BMW X3 or X5? 3.0sd version and you get the power too

the shreksta 20 December 2017 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11984784)
What’s your guys thoughts on this one as Range rovers are out of the question now and so are landrovers and hummers after all advice taken on board it’s gotta be a vw don’t like landcruisers not to my taste although bulletproof

Yess I’m getting old and want to sit high and comfy in a nice heated seat :lol1:

Don't like vw......never have done and never will do. Have you test drove an x5? What sort of money you looking at spending? I loved my e53 x5 3.0d sport

iMook 20 December 2017 12:49 PM

Seriously - don't.

I've always had VWs (and still do), but everyone I know with a Touareg has had expensive problems with them. Admittedly all outside warranty, but one thing VW don't do particularly well is AWD. 5 people with them and all 5 had problems and have since got rid.

Get yourself a VW Transporter and stick some seats in the back ;)

Or be sensible and get an X5 or X6 (yes really) as long as they've got the straight six bi-turbo diesel :thumb:

the shreksta 20 December 2017 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by iMook (Post 11984837)

Or be sensible and get an X5 or X6 (yes really) as long as they've got the straight six bi-turbo diesel :thumb:

Or the 555bhp 4.4 v8 twin turbo M engine 👍

ZANY 20 December 2017 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by iMook (Post 11984837)
Seriously - don't.

I've always had VWs (and still do), but everyone I know with a Touareg has had expensive problems with them. Admittedly all outside warranty, but one thing VW don't do particularly well is AWD. 5 people with them and all 5 had problems and have since got rid.

Get yourself a VW Transporter and stick some seats in the back ;)

Aaaah thanks for that info pal put me right off the idea I thought being a vw it would be a lot more reliable and low P
I think I’m going to stick to what I know best and keep the Subaru and have a rethink when I’m 50 in ten years time Ive given up on 4x4’s :cry:

We’ve allready got a ****roen for another 2 years and looking forwRd to a transit although I really like transporters that would be more of a family car than a TOY if you know what I mean :norty:

ZANY 20 December 2017 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11984787)
Don't like vw......never have done and never will do. Have you test drove an x5? What sort of money you looking at spending? I loved my e53 x5 3.0d sport

To be honest only fancied vw as thought it would be little more low p and look sensible a good blender :lol1:

Truly given up on comfy cars now for good I think....

Torquemada 20 December 2017 08:21 PM

Just got a 2018 Tiguan for the wife and it seems to be a great car. Only 2wd, though. Plenty of room for our 3 dogs and the baby. Reasonably well specced and not super expensive either.

bustaMOVEs 20 December 2017 08:23 PM

Nissan patrol! The end. Highly tuneable, sell the subs and have a beast

On a real note though, x5 35d or a 3.0v6d vag engined SUV.

ZANY 21 December 2017 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Torquemada (Post 11984902)
Just got a 2018 Tiguan for the wife and it seems to be a great car. Only 2wd, though. Plenty of room for our 3 dogs and the baby. Reasonably well specced and not super expensive either.

Really nice motors 5he new Tiguan really like the shape but a bit small like the rav 4
thanks for your input though much appreciated :thumb:

iMook 21 December 2017 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11984843)
I really like transporters that would be more of a family car than a TOY if you know what I mean :norty:

Oh ours is a family toy, or a van, or a 7 seater, bike hauler, kayak carrier, somewhere to kip etc. It's just got uprated suspension, ARBs, exhaust, turbo, remap etc.

I thought modifying every vehicle I've ever owned was mandatory... ;)

TECHNOPUG 21 December 2017 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11984784)

Do you need considerable off-road ability? Do you tow? Or is it just that you want to sit high and comfy in a nice heated seat?

legacy_gtb 21 December 2017 12:46 PM

I got the mrs an early L322 rangerover (she tows) ....... huge mistake! Nice when it worked but was a mechanical nightmare when didnt.

Got shot of it in the end and got her a merc ML270.

Handles like anything that talls going too (i.e. it doesnt), but the ML500's and AMG ones dont half shift and reliability is leagues ahead of anything rover.

Torquemada 21 December 2017 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11984929)
Really nice motors 5he new Tiguan really like the shape but a bit small like the rav 4
thanks for your input though much appreciated :thumb:

No worries. I quite liked the big bro of the Tiguan, the Atlas, but it wasn't within the budget we wanted to spend. Had the VR6 engine, which must be tune-able but I have no idea about those units.

ZANY 21 December 2017 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11984960)
Do you need considerable off-road ability? Do you tow? Or is it just that you want to sit high and comfy in a nice heated seat?

The last one with reliability Will be nice :)

matty01 21 December 2017 09:12 PM

That V10 tdi engine must be a brute for sure.

An0n0m0us 21 December 2017 11:40 PM

I'm on my 2nd Pathfinder I haven't found anything better for what I need and want. Comfy, leather, lots of toys and heated seats and gets the dogs and all the family in.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4725/...4948455e_b.jpg

ZANY 22 December 2017 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 11985078)
I'm on my 2nd Pathfinder I haven't found anything better for what I need and want. Comfy, leather, lots of toys and heated seats and gets the dogs and all the family in.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4725/...4948455e_b.jpg

That’s nice I’d pick it over a discovery anytime
What they like for luxury?

iMook 22 December 2017 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by matty01 (Post 11985061)
That V10 tdi engine must be a brute for sure.

It is and it pulls like a train - soooo much torque. Sadly the V10 isn't reliable - same problems with the unit in the Phaeton (VW Passat on steroids).

An0n0m0us 22 December 2017 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11985087)
That’s nice I’d pick it over a discovery anytime
What they like for luxury?

It's not luxury like a Range Rover where you are sitting in your front room but i'm comfortable enough in mine. I'm 6'3 and there is acres of space and head room. The top model which I have is all leather and heated seats etc. Mines a 2012 so also good on tax £280 I think. Also the manual is the one to get as the Auto in my experience is much heavier on fuel. Mines the diesel and gets 30+ mpg

Have a google for interior pictures but in my opinion if you want an excellent large 4x4 the Pathfinder is hard to beat for it's price. Obviously Range Rover is unbeatable but you pay through the nose for one as well as their reliability issues.

ZANY 22 December 2017 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 11985146)
It's not luxury like a Range Rover where you are sitting in your front room but i'm comfortable enough in mine. I'm 6'3 and there is acres of space and head room. The top model which I have is all leather and heated seats etc. Mines a 2012 so also good on tax £280 I think. Also the manual is the one to get as the Auto in my experience is much heavier on fuel. Mines the diesel and gets 30+ mpg

Have a google for interior pictures but in my opinion if you want an excellent large 4x4 the Pathfinder is hard to beat for it's price. Obviously Range Rover is unbeatable but you pay through the nose for one as well as their reliability issues.

I wouldn’t want to modify it it’s the whole reason to be selling the Subaru it just doesn’t end and a part of me wants to move on to something more mature and comfy reliable and big that you just leave alone and Polish but not another car as I have the wife’s golf

If I ever decided to buy a pathfinder I can see myself getting the chequebook out to start modifying it heavily so I’d stick to the Subaru
touregs have just been crossed off the list aswell :(

bustaMOVEs 22 December 2017 06:10 PM

SQ5

lozgti1 23 December 2017 03:15 PM

I like the look of the new Skoda Karoq

Which I presume is just a Seat Atica /VW Tiguan/ Audi Q3:lol1:

Re the Nissan...our old X Trail was bombproof :thumb:

lozgti1 23 December 2017 03:17 PM

And you can take the back seats out of it too :thumb:

SouthWalesSam 25 December 2017 08:53 PM

I love my Touareg.

It wasn’t my first choice new car a year ago but two elderly mothers, space for wheelchairs and walkers, regular snow and life meant a change of priorities.

After test driving X3s and Q5s, for the money (it’s a runout model), handling and spec, it was a no brainier.

After my Audi and BMW test drives, my decision was made after the first roundabout in the Touareg. Unlike the Audis it didn’t steer like a galleon, it was far better looking than an ugly X3 and more spacious.

Also, coming from a Mk7 Golf R the tech (though one generation earlier) was an easy transition.

I spec’d it with auto Air Suspension, updated Cayenne-style ARBs, stealth black paint and 21” rims.

10k miles in and I’m still learning how to drive it and continually surprised at it’s abilities.
Over this break it’s delivered smile-inducing cross-country runs along North Norfolk lanes as well as country crossing grand tourer comfort, quietness and range.

The slow-witted gearbox aside (the Merc’s ‘box is far smoother and cleverer), I absolutely love it.

Not sure what I’m going to replace it with when it comes to time to give it back.

Would I buy a used, sorry, pre-owned example? I’m tempted but probably no.
There’s way too much tech on these to risk out of warranty ownership.

But I probably wouldn’t walk past a well-spec’d bangernomics shed-like one going for a few grand 8 years from now.

ZANY 26 December 2017 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam (Post 11985741)
I love my Touareg.

It wasn’t my first choice new car a year ago but two elderly mothers, space for wheelchairs and walkers, regular snow and life meant a change of priorities.

After test driving X3s and Q5s, for the money (it’s a runout model), handling and spec, it was a no brainier.

After my Audi and BMW test drives, my decision was made after the first roundabout in the Touareg. Unlike the Audis it didn’t steer like a galleon, it was far better looking than an ugly X3 and more spacious.

Also, coming from a Mk7 Golf R the tech (though one generation earlier) was an easy transition.

I spec’d it with auto Air Suspension, updated Cayenne-style ARBs, stealth black paint and 21” rims.

10k miles in and I’m still learning how to drive it and continually surprised at it’s abilities.
Over this break it’s delivered smile-inducing cross-country runs along North Norfolk lanes as well as country crossing grand tourer comfort, quietness and range.

The slow-witted gearbox aside (the Merc’s ‘box is far smoother and cleverer), I absolutely love it.

Not sure what I’m going to replace it with when it comes to time to give it back.

Would I buy a used, sorry, pre-owned example? I’m tempted but probably no.
There’s way too much tech on these to risk out of warranty ownership.

But I probably wouldn’t walk past a well-spec’d bangernomics shed-like one going for a few grand 8 years from now.

Thanks for your input much appreciated

ZANY 26 December 2017 04:16 AM

Ok guys narrowed it down even further to the Tiguan as it was mentioned i really like the shape only just took notice on how nice they look :luvlove:
it will be new but it’s for keeps not going to sell it so need to get it right first time round
What you all reckon on spec etc ?
I would like an auto with leathers not arsed if big engine e5c
biggest thing is reliability and if it’s not then I guess I’ll stick to the mobility Citroen dispatch after I’ve sold Subaru next year and stop bugging you guys :cry:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...47dc503dba.png

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...82952bc2f5.png

I really like this colour

Thankyou again for everyone’s input so far :notworthy

The Trooper 1815 26 December 2017 01:09 PM

Subaru Tribeca?

ZANY 26 December 2017 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11985820)
Subaru Tribeca?

Never seen or heard of one :(
Is it comfy and reliable 4x4 and still available new ?
I’ll do some digging on google
But maybe someone on here has one ? To share there thoughts on it willl be much appreciated :thumb:

stilover 26 December 2017 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11985795)
Ok guys narrowed it down even further to the Tiguan as it was mentioned i really like the shape only just took notice on how nice they look :luvlove:https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...47dc503dba.png
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...82952bc2f5.png

I really like this colour

Thankyou again for everyone’s input so far :notworthy

I really like the new Tiguan. I had the old shape model. The 170 TDI R-Line.
They are really nice cars TBH. The R-Line had the sports suspensions, and it handled really well to be fair. No Hot Hatch, but it would make a good fist of it. I had it for 3 years, and it never missed a beat. No faults, squeaks or rattles.
I really fancy one when I decide to get rid of my S3. The reason is, I do a lot of walking over the Lakes, so it will be better for seeing over hedges down tracks, will tackle tracks better. Will have more luggage space for weekend/weeks away, and easier to get in and out of (have a bad back).
I would look at the 240TDI model, as it'll be a better drive with having more power and Torque.

But as with every new car these days, for a good spec 240TDI R-Line, you're looking at £40k+. Think I specced one up to around £45k, which is a hell of a lot of money. Maybe discounts would get it closer to £40k, but even so.

To the OP. They are nice cars to drive/own, and hold their value pretty damn well too. Go test drive one, but make sure it's a decent sized engine and spec.