ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Best VPN for streaming etc ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1051718-best-vpn-for-streaming-etc.html)

The Joshua Tree 18 December 2017 08:24 PM

Best VPN for streaming etc ?

I'm considering setting up a VPN for streaming, i mainly use Kodi and similar. What do you recommend as i havn't got a clue in this area as i've not looked into them before.

JackClark 18 December 2017 09:38 PM

It depends on what you’re trying to hide. I sometimes set one up on my home machine then connect to it when out and about. That doesn’t hide my connection to home, but it hides a lot of other stuff.

stevebt 19 December 2017 05:16 PM

I have tried a few of the vpn’s and find them not very good for streaming from say American channels etc. They are ok if you want to use the web, I found Express vpn to be one of the better ones.

tarmac terror 19 December 2017 08:41 PM

I use OpenVPN to connect back to my network at home - I then use my home internet connection from anywhere.

Also use a paid for VPN service from protonmail - it is excellent.

Torquemada 21 December 2017 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11984698)
I have tried a few of the vpn’s and find them not very good for streaming from say American channels etc. They are ok if you want to use the web, I found Express vpn to be one of the better ones.

I use Express VPN on my phone and laptop to be able to watch UK telly etc. works pretty well but Netflix has their IP ranges sussed. They also have a version that you can use right from your router/modem, I believe.

iMook 21 December 2017 03:20 PM

PureVPN - it's chargeable but it works.

The Joshua Tree 26 December 2017 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11984698)
I found Express vpn to be one of the better ones.

That's the one i went for, in all the reviews i found online and the opinions of people on various forums, ExpressVPN seemed to always come out as one of the best, if not the best.

It's more expensive than others, i went for the offer where you pay for 12 months but get 3 months free, it was $99 which works out around £75 for 15 months.

Pross 26 December 2017 04:06 PM

I have expressvpn, I use it for torrent sites when i cant find something on usenet.

My folks went to china recently and used my vpn account and it worked fine for them there.

gazzawrx 26 December 2017 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11984583)
It depends on what you’re trying to hide. I sometimes set one up on my home machine then connect to it when out and about. That doesn’t hide my connection to home, but it hides a lot of other stuff.

Why would you need to hide anything, i thought you was of the opinion that streaming the likes of kodi etc was the work of the devil and people who use it should burn in hell:confused:

The Joshua Tree 26 December 2017 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11985859)
Why would you need to hide anything

He's using Apple products, that's as good a reason as any ;)

SouthWalesSam 27 December 2017 07:26 PM

I use myExpatVPN when I’m linking back here from abroad.
Used it for about 4 years now. Works pretty well.

JackClark 27 December 2017 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11985859)
Why would you need to hide anything, i thought you was of the opinion that streaming the likes of kodi etc was the work of the devil and people who use it should burn in hell:confused:

I’m not sure about burning in hell, but I’m not a fan of pirated movies, never have been, they spoil the fun.

I use one to access my files from abroad that I hope only I can access, or worse case I’ve made an effort.