ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   So tax on older diesels is to rise.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1051256-so-tax-on-older-diesels-is-to-rise.html)

alcazar 23 November 2017 01:10 PM

So tax on older diesels is to rise....

...but not for white van man....

Brilliant....:lol1::lol1:

Rusti 23 November 2017 03:39 PM

A well thought out piece of legislation then :facepalm:

albob 23 November 2017 04:27 PM

I thought this only applied to New diesels bought after April 2018 !??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42079297

"....The key thing... if you've already got a diesel car, you won't pay more.

That's hardly a surprise, bearing in mind people were encouraged to buy diesels some years ago. The government wasn't about to slap a big tax on drivers who parted with lots of money in good faith...."

BLU 23 November 2017 05:13 PM

Yup, new diesels only :D

alanbell 23 November 2017 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 11980023)
Yup, new diesels only :D

This could help old diesels like my SQ7 hold better value :norty:

lozgti1 23 November 2017 09:21 PM

The sooner everyone gets sensible,follows the governments direction and thinks sensibly about going electric/ hybrid/ small petrol then, and only then ,when we all have them on the drive........

They will tax us to hell on this, up the electric and petrol prices and diesel will be half the price of petrol:D

I should have been a politician:razz:

dpb 24 November 2017 04:56 PM

Will 10 y/o astras go up ?

#:Suspiciou

BLU 24 November 2017 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by alanbell (Post 11980027)
This could help old diesels like my SQ7 hold better value :norty:

I was thinking exactly the same earlier on today :D

David Lock 24 November 2017 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11980165)
Will 10 y/o astras go up ?

#:Suspiciou

Could double to £10. Or even £12 if in showroom condition.

:thumb:

jaygsi 24 November 2017 11:29 PM

I keep saying this aswell.

LPG seems the saver option, i don't think the government will bother with taxing this anymore as once people are out of diesels and into small petrol and electric cars they will get taxed heavily as you said.

LPG might slip under the radar

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11980060)
The sooner everyone gets sensible,follows the governments direction and thinks sensibly about going electric/ hybrid/ small petrol then, and only then ,when we all have them on the drive........

They will tax us to hell on this, up the electric and petrol prices and diesel will be half the price of petrol:D

I should have been a politician:razz:

ditchmyster 26 November 2017 08:23 AM

LPG is quite popular out here in Croatia, works out slightly cheaper than diesel too, doesn't seem to be many problems either, they even put it on cars that are pretty economical to begin with like 1.2/ 1.4L engines.

ALi-B 26 November 2017 09:04 AM

If they keep upping the Ethanol content of petrol I may end up converting my Jag to LPG. As I will eventually have no choice but to replace the fuel system anyway due to the corrosion its causing.

Its wrecked the carburettors on my Kawasaki H1; it couldn't stand for longer than 3months before it gums up the idle jets. The only way round it was to drain the tank and run the carbs dry when putting it away. :(

And my RD500 now no longer runs, so I hate think what I'll find when I get round to stripping down the fuel system on that.

Ironically I inherited a California import Honda Super Magna from the 80's which is basically a VFR700 engine in a fancy frame, it's not to my taste so it does get used and I never got round to selling it. Its not been on the road for over ten years.....but plonk a battery on it, prime the carbs and it will fire straight up without a single issue (except the sticky clutch)..mind I think the fuel in the tank is so old it doesn't have Ethanol in :lol1: But I think as it was a California-emissions spec bike it may have Ethanol tolerant metals and rubber in the fuel system. :wonder:

ditchmyster 27 November 2017 05:03 AM

Ah but that's probably because that VFR 700 engine was one of the most over engineered engines ever made... which was due to it's predecessor being completely shoit... I forget which engine it was, but Honda wanted to regain lost credibility, which they did as it's a stonking engine.

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that bike and the others too.

^Qwerty^ 27 November 2017 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11980365)

And my RD500 now no longer runs, so I hate think what I'll find when I get round to stripping down the fuel system on that.

Nice. Had an RG years ago, it was a bitch to keep running correctly, but boy when it did, it was good fun.