ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Engine problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1051058-engine-problem.html)

daz1968 09 November 2017 08:45 PM

Engine problem

My widetrack jdm has developed an engine fault which I haven't diagnosed yet,
Before I look into it anyone idea of value of a car that may require an engine rebuild, gearbox etc is fine.
Just weighing my options before spending too much, it may not be as bad as I am thinking but need to investigate the weekend.
will start with a compression test before deciding anything

JDM_Stig 09 November 2017 08:53 PM

Most people just break them if they go pop, worth more in parts.

ray54 09 November 2017 09:28 PM

Get it diagnosed first before you decide anything, if you like /want the car enough fix it with in reason of cost of coarse.

If not bust it for part as mentioned.

jaygsi 09 November 2017 09:31 PM

Depends on condition before breaking. Theres loads of parts on ebay, and unless you have some where to store them, as you will have alot of parts hanging around for months. Other option is sell to Matty on here.

I'd rebuild is its a decent car.

daz1968 09 November 2017 09:44 PM

I have been doing a little investigation on YouTube and it sounds like it maybe a failed cam tensioner so will have a good look over weekend, only thing is it's running a little rough, could a failed tensioner effect the timing enough to make it lumpy, the noise doesn't actually sound like bottom end engine noise, more a failed bearing noise, so it may not be too bad. Can only hope for a quick fix. Breaking is not really an option as I have enough stuff on the go at the moment so won't really have the time.

johned 09 November 2017 10:26 PM

Maybe take the alternator and AC belts off and see if there is any improvement.

daveriley123 10 November 2017 05:47 PM

A full long engine would only cost you around £1500 so I wouldn’t dream of breaking or selling it.

daz1968 10 November 2017 06:41 PM

Thanks,

I am pretty sure the noise is one of the idlers on cambelt so won't run it again now, will take it apart tomorrow and investigate further, as long as no other damage won't take long, will do a compression test to be sure.
Don't mind spending £1500 but also hopeful everything will be ok,
The noise is like a squeek and a chirp, difficult to explain really. But is defo coming from front of engine near where the cam tensioner is.
The noise is defo not a knock or rumble like bottom end,

peter zippy reid 10 November 2017 07:08 PM

Is it the alternator adjuster tensioner pulley/bearing had that noise on my jdm

daz1968 17 November 2017 11:44 AM

as an update the noise was one of the cambelt idler bearings starting to break up, fitted a new kit from roger Clark motorsport, I did purchase the cam locking tool and made a crank pulley holding spanner to make the job easier

johned 18 November 2017 11:04 AM

Great stuff.

ray54 18 November 2017 01:28 PM

Well saved :thumb:

daz1968 18 November 2017 02:54 PM

Thanks,

I am very happy with outcome, I thought it was going to be a breaker or expensive fix,
Don't think I will ever change a cambelt without idlers ever again, lesson learnt

daveriley123 19 November 2017 09:25 AM

Not a good idea to leave the idlers, water pump n stat is a must imo aswel. The full kit is only around £170 from icp so it’s not worth trying to save when the results could be catastrophic. Also check the thread on the tensioner bracket as Iv had them strip before.