ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Police not allowed in to traveller site (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1051050-police-not-allowed-in-to-traveller-site.html)

22BUK 09 November 2017 11:15 AM

Police not allowed in to traveller site

An owner was forced to retrieve her stolen caravan from a traveller site after police refused to enter, claiming that it was unsafe.

Full story:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/cambridgeshire-police-find-stolen-caravan-hunt-too-risky-3b8nl0wlv

alcazar 09 November 2017 11:16 AM

Ho ho!

Where's fairy-story felix when you need him?

:D :D :D

legb4rsk 09 November 2017 01:18 PM

Leave them alone!!! It's their culture.

I asked years ago if anyone had ever had a positive encounter with travellers.

Still waiting for an answer.

Pross 09 November 2017 01:30 PM

I lived just down the road from a traveller site in Ireland, one day the guardi turned up en mass and raided the place, they moved the caravans aside and found massive blue barrels buried under them, they were full of guns, drugs and about 1/4M euros. Of course they were all claiming the dole.

ZANY 09 November 2017 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk (Post 11977434)

Yes I have a few traveller mates who I've known for over 14 years and they are not scroats or theives in fact very well off but I can't speak for the rest of them as I've had a few confrontations with them myself back in the days
they are only human and bleed as we do no body is untouchable

Peedee 09 November 2017 02:37 PM

Who says crime doesn’t pay eh? How can you be a traveller and very well off without breaking the law in some way or another? Wether that be robbing stuff, ripping people off, working without paying taxes etc etc. Travellers are parasites. They spread misery wherever they decide to ‘settle’.

ZANY 09 November 2017 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Peedee (Post 11977452)
Who says crime doesn’t pay eh? How can you be a traveller and very well off without breaking the law in some way or another? Wether that be robbing stuff, ripping people off, working without paying taxes etc etc. Travellers are parasites. They spread misery wherever they decide to ‘settle’.

What law??

My freind had a quad bike stolen only few years ago he seen it followed it back to a travellers site and rang the police to get it back as he didn't want any trouble
exact same thing police came but wouldn't go on the site :freak3: do he rang me up
so I did go in there and took it back job done

It's not only the travellers dealing drugs and committing fraud day by day bro there's many others
just being honest :thumb:

Felix. 09 November 2017 09:12 PM

I think the main issue here is there was no legal power to enter the site. So, if there is no legal power you will risk safety if you just storm the site with a few officers.

Its happened before where officers enter a house for example without a power. Home owner ejects officer, officer gets injured whilst doing so. Officer invalidates any works insurance policy for his injury and ends up under investigation too.

lozgti1 09 November 2017 10:32 PM

Chocolate teapot

Alg 09 November 2017 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11977550)
Chocolate teapot

I had one of them.
Travellers stole it and put it in a massive blue barrel under a caravan.

silver-sub 09 November 2017 11:41 PM

More police mishaps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41932817

RAGGY DOO 10 November 2017 02:50 AM

Few lads I know around by me sound as a pound

legb4rsk 10 November 2017 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11977568)
Few lads I know around by me sound as a pound

To you,yes.They won't bother anyone with a bit of common sense who knows their game.

Far easier to go for the vulnerable,old or naive.Much easier targets.

SJ_Skyline 10 November 2017 06:10 AM

Are you talking about the pikeys or the police? :wonder:

Wull 10 November 2017 08:08 AM

Moral of the story is.....become a pikey and be rich as **** :wonder::lol1:

BrownPantsRacing 10 November 2017 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Alg (Post 11977555)
I had one of them.
Travellers stole it and put it in a massive blue barrel under a caravan.

:lol1::lol1::lol1:

Wurzel 10 November 2017 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 11977534)
I think the main issue here is there was no legal power to enter the site. So, if there is no legal power you will risk safety if you just storm the site with a few officers.

Its happened before where officers enter a house for example without a power. Home owner ejects officer, officer gets injured whilst doing so. Officer invalidates any works insurance policy for his injury and ends up under investigation too.

So you can stop a car on suspicion, you can stop and search a pedestrian on suspicion, you can walk upto a private house and knock on the door but you can't enter a pikey site on suspicion? Hmmmm interesting.

^Qwerty^ 10 November 2017 11:44 AM

Or you can carry out a hit and run, put somebody in hospital, destroy their property and the line back from Humberside Police is, "there is nothing we can do"

Case is ongoing from a insurance claim point of view, so details will end there, but I'm sure I couldn't carry out a hit and run and get away with it if the police knew who I was and where I lived.

alcazar 10 November 2017 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 11977595)
So you can stop a car on suspicion, you can stop and search a pedestrian on suspicion, you can walk upto a private house and knock on the door but you can't enter a pikey site on suspicion? Hmmmm interesting.

Always an excuse hasn't he/they?

alcazar 10 November 2017 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^ (Post 11977611)
Or you can carry out a hit and run, put somebody in hospital, destroy their property and the line back from Humberside Police is, "there is nothing we can do"

Case is ongoing from a insurance claim point of view, so details will end there, but I'm sure I couldn't carry out a hit and run and get away with it if the police knew who I was and where I lived.

Dumberside Police...one of the worst performing in the country...just had to get shut of their SECOND female chief constable....
I wonder if there's any connection to their performance? LOL

^Qwerty^ 10 November 2017 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11977616)
Dumberside Police...one of the worst performing in the country...just had to get shut of their SECOND female chief constable....
I wonder if there's any connection to their performance? LOL

Actually I'm not sure what the crime is, they stopped, then went back to their vehicle to get their phone and drove off. I'm pretty sure it's a resource issue and I can't fault in anyway the PC who is dealing with the case, but his hands are tied and it really doesn't sit well with him as an individual. (or he's a good poker player and doesn't give a stuff)

RAGGY DOO 10 November 2017 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Peedee (Post 11977452)

A generalization and an ignorant one at that
I have a few mates who are settled travelers
Meaning they used to live in caravans
Now they live in houses salt of the earth people
Not all are the same but there’re good and bad in all cultures and races

As Bruce Lee said
Under the heavens under the stars we are but one family

alcazar 10 November 2017 04:28 PM

What do they work at Gary? These wonderful mates of yours? Because I'm yet to meet ONE with a proper job, ie: working and paying taxes....

Peedee 10 November 2017 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11977670)
What do they work at Gary? These wonderful mates of yours? Because I'm yet to meet ONE with a proper job, ie: working and paying taxes....

It’ll definately be legit. Something like tree surgery, tarmac driveways, waste collection/disposal etc. All above board lol.

RAGGY DOO 10 November 2017 05:21 PM

And robbing washing off the clothes line

ZANY 10 November 2017 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Peedee (Post 11977672)
It’ll definately be legit. Something like tree surgery, tarmac driveways, waste collection/disposal etc. All above board lol.

:lol::lol::lol:

Then you get ...
car wash, takeaway, garage or an off licence ive seen as fronts for the rest of the drug dealing benefit cheating naughty people who live in mansions all well above board ;) :lol1:

Not promoting any unlawfull activity or behaviour only opinions and experiences from myself you get bad apples in every community but some much worse than others....

ZANY 10 November 2017 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11977681)
And robbing washing off the clothes line

You flipped the coin quick stick to ONE STORY don't start turning on your mates at the time of need.... :lol1:
you be looking like a pusssssy arse gandu bro :D :p

Felix. 10 November 2017 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 11977595)

Yes, we can stop a car on suspicion, but to search it you have to have a reasonable belief that it will have a stolen item in it - not just a 'maybe'
Same with a pedestrian, you have to have a reasonable belief that they will have a specific item on them.
I can walk up to a private door a knock on it, but I can't enter it without a power to search.
I can walk up to traveller site and knock on its door but I can't enter it without a power to search.

Unless you are happy for the police to bend the rules when they want, but most of the public want police to stick to them.

From the article, a microlight & drone was used to look into the site - I would suggest that a view from up high of a caravan roof would not be enough to prove that it was the stolen caravan. Not enough to obtain a search warrant in any case.

Unless of course you are happy to go back to the good old 'Gene Hunt' days where a 'hunch' was enough suspicion to search - but don't complain when we turn up and search your house & car out of the blue for stolen gear, with no real justification.

Felix. 10 November 2017 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11977615)
Always an excuse hasn't he/they?

Not an excuse - a reason

Unless of course, you have additional search powers up your sleeve?

alcazar 11 November 2017 10:30 AM

Drugs?
And are you aware that caravans can and do have the cris number on the roof?
Since when were pikey sites private property? They are mostly council owned...the carvans are private, yes, the site no.

You are wriggling, but sorry, your cowardly lot are firmly on the hook for this one, LOL
Get back behind your speed camera now...;)