ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Why is Subaru turbo 2000 hated? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1050963-why-is-subaru-turbo-2000-hated.html)

SpeedySpeedBoy 06 November 2017 05:50 AM

Why is Subaru turbo 2000 hated?

Sorry, I think hated was too strong term but I couldnt edit it, I meant to say frowned upon I guess.

I said I was looking to buy a subaru turbo 2000 on this forum and someone mentioned I'd be slated on this forum for not having a powerful japanese subaru.

To be fair I prefer like the image of subarus being powerful etc but if you don't want to spend a lot the turbo 2000 looks like a good option. It may not be racing standard but at 0-60 in 6.1 seconds(I think that's the correct figure) it's still quite good right?

Just wondering why it's so cheap, are the parts cheap, is it way less powerful than other stock subarus of that time. I can understand why the gx model and other low power ones are considered nothing in the world of performance cars but just wondering why people on here put their noses up at the turbo 2000 if that the case.

Perhaps the iconic subaru is meant to be japanese, fast and powerful with 0-60 in at least 5 seconds or below and hence the turbo 2000 doesn't quite cut it for subaru guys on here?

fawor 06 November 2017 06:24 AM

Yep it has to be 22b or spec c type ra-r but no dreamer on that forum could afford it
Strange place it is

wrighty338 06 November 2017 07:08 AM

turbo 2000 is a smart option, easier on the insurance

id be more concerned about what car you want than what "someone mentioned" about this place

jaygsi 06 November 2017 07:31 AM

I own a uk 2000 turbo. Great car love it too bits. Not as powerful or as fun as my v1 WRX I had. Well I think it was, starting to think it could have been an STI. Anyway i sold it and bought UK turbo. I do miss the mass of power. But it was no good on long runs not happy to sit at 50, 60 or 70. And would drink the fuel.

Who said about this site?

Only thing to worry about with UK 2000 turbo rust.

rickybobby 06 November 2017 10:36 AM

If everyone based their life decisions on what people on a forum said we'd all probably live in bubbles and never go out, or be dead and drive a volvo or something.

markb_s1 06 November 2017 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11976670)

Only thing to worry about with UK 2000 turbo rust.

really?

i thought the UK models were supposed to be less prone to rot than the JDM ones due to having been undersealed from the factory/dealer as opposed to imports that weren't?

Peedee 06 November 2017 01:02 PM

I've driven a few turbo 2000's, quite like them to be honest! Try finding a mint, low mileage one that isn't rusted to death aswell. :freak3:

DTB 06 November 2017 01:05 PM

I would have thought an original turbo 2000 would be a fairly rare thing these days & actually quite a good buy if it's in good nick.

johnlogie 06 November 2017 01:10 PM

Nothing wrong with a Turbo 2000, I’ve owned mine for nearly 10 years. There have been many changes to it over the years though. Powers slightly more than the standard 218bhp :)

Tidgy 06 November 2017 01:14 PM

nothing wrong with a turbo 2000, top of the range in the uk. Just WRX and STI imports are more desirable because of spec and performance.

jaygsi 06 November 2017 01:39 PM

Other way around I'd say. Mine has receipts for underseal treatment from new. First owner paid extra for it. But arches are going.

All depends on when it was imported. If from new will have rusted away by now without treatment.

My mate has a 1993 import and has less rust than my 1998 uk model.

Originally Posted by markb_s1
really?

i thought the UK models were supposed to be less prone to rot than the JDM ones due to having been undersealed from the factory/dealer as opposed to imports that weren't?

RAF1 06 November 2017 02:00 PM

I have noticed recently good low mileage classic UK 2000 commanding as much money if not more than Jap equivalent. If anythihng they are going up in value as a lot have rusted away and got high mileage etc.

ZANY 06 November 2017 02:57 PM

Ive had quite a few turbo2000's nice cars easy to maintain and mod plenty of sti' wrx's newage
my current car is my first jdm
I've always stuck to uk spec and stayed clear of imports
as I say there's no such thing as a "FRESH" import unless it's bought over from new as mine has :D
Atleast with a decent uk spec you know what is what not history wise and if not walk away or if an import classic you'd ask when it had its last rebuild and where back in days :lol1:

but that's just my opinion and experience no offence to any of the uk/jdm fanboyz :thumb:

Moley 06 November 2017 03:08 PM

As above, nothing wrong with a Turbo 2000

legacy_gtb 06 November 2017 03:57 PM

Also, low power = small turbo = spool from idle!

I had a wee uk2000T wagon for a bit and it was a right giggle.

rossyboy 06 November 2017 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by markb_s1 (Post 11976773)
really?

God no. The UK ones were subjected to our cold, damp climate right from the off with the added bonus of a good dose of salt for a few months of the year.

The Trooper 1815 06 November 2017 06:46 PM

The reason the T2000 was cheap in it's day was it was detuned and down specced for the UK.
Out went alloy front wishbones. Rear wipers. Electric folding mirrors. Properly climate control. Power was down. Interior trim was cheaper. Gearbox/engines lower spec.
But they sold very well but lacked the kudos of the JDM cars and model variety.

jaygsi 06 November 2017 06:53 PM

Never under stood why the UK ones were spec' down so much. Even twin cup holders were changed for single ones.

joz8968 06 November 2017 07:02 PM

... Plus that 'BRIGHT' button. :Suspiciou

rossyboy 06 November 2017 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11976861)
Never under stood why the UK ones were spec' down so much. Even twin cup holders were changed for single ones.

Off topic, but I recall it took about 10 years of ownership before I noticed the lip on the front console and pulled it to reveal cup holders I didn't know I had :facepalm:

joz8968 06 November 2017 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Off topic, but I recall it took about 10 years of ownership before I noticed the lip on the front console and pulled it to reveal cup holders I didn't know I had :facepalm:

Same here! On my old 1993 WRX.

Although it was prob after a year, not 10! :eek: lol

I was 'really annoyed' about it :mad: lol

rossyboy 06 November 2017 08:42 PM

At least it wasn't as bad as finding a 6 disc multi changer under the passenger seat of the Mrs 172.... after 3 years :freak3:

salsa-king 06 November 2017 08:54 PM

yep.. and the UK turbo (think it was the phase II engine on a MY97) got a 5.2sec 0-60 when TopGear tried it out...

I think the £1500 shed thought comes to some peoples minds when you start talking Classic UK Turbo... or L reg WRX cars.

bludgod 06 November 2017 08:57 PM

....cos you "should've bought an STI?" everybody knows they are the best!

rossyboy 06 November 2017 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 11976886)
yep.. and the UK turbo (think it was the phase II engine on a MY97) got a 5.2sec 0-60 when TopGear tried it out...

I think the £1500 shed thought comes to some peoples minds when you start talking Classic UK Turbo... or L reg WRX cars.

The market has changed a bit lately. £1500 ones are now only really fit for scrap and it needs to be more like £2k for something that runs.

scoobaholic 07 November 2017 01:24 AM

My first Impreza was a stock turbo 2000 and I had loads of fun in it. A pretty fast car, the AWD works well and the suspension was firm but did an amazing job over rough roads.
I've noticed too that people don't seem to rate them but i bought it for 3k and I don't think I'll ever get so much bang for my buck ever again.
If the rust hadn't eaten it, I'd still be driving it! :)

Norman Dog 07 November 2017 07:43 PM

Trouble is, the newest one you're going to get is around 17 years old now.

In the early 90's they could take on the legendary Sierra Cosworth for much less £, quite a force to reckoned with back in the day.
6.1 seconds to 60 in those days was actually quicker than an M5.

Ram raiders and the like loved to steal them because they were faster than anything the cops had. :norty:

Always remember how much I really wanted to own one when they first came here. :cry:

s c o o b y 07 November 2017 09:21 PM

Nothing wrong with the 2000 turbo I've had 2 of them and the second been mapped so was as quick as the standard wrx I now have a jdm wrx which does seem rapid but I have been away from fast cars for a couple of years now , but I have noticed the prices rising on the uk cars if you can find a good one .

tarmac terror 07 November 2017 09:35 PM

I have a low mileage turbo 2000 - with a few tweaks here and there. 15 years old and 70K - couple of minor rust bubbles in the usual places, and lacquer is peeling on some of the plastic bits. Mechanically perfect.

jaygsi 08 November 2017 10:24 PM

What kind of mods were you running on your 2nd Impreza?

Originally Posted by s c o o b y
Nothing wrong with the 2000 turbo I've had 2 of them and the second been mapped so was as quick as the standard wrx I now have a jdm wrx which does seem rapid but I have been away from fast cars for a couple of years now , but I have noticed the prices rising on the uk cars if you can find a good one .