ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Interior light. Feed from elsewhere? (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/1050908-interior-light-feed-from-elsewhere.html)

cubbs 03 November 2017 01:36 AM

Interior light. Feed from elsewhere?

hi

ive only been meaning to fix this for 5 years.

The drivers door switch does not not work the interior light. All 4 switches work fine. There isn’t any power getting to the switch so I assume a damaged wire somewhere

ive just tried to connect the drivers door switch into a blue/red wire which feeds the boot interior light

but all it does is blow a 15amp fuse under the bonnet. The one which runs the radio, clock and interior lights.

could I take a feed from the rear door feed ?

could anyone please offer some advise to where I’m going wrong.

Itll be greatly appreciated

thanks

Dubzy 03 November 2017 08:09 AM

It will be blowing the fuse because the wire into the door switch is an earth and your connecting it to a live feed.

test the switch with an electrical tester or multi meter and see if its earthed when the switch is out (door open)

cubbs 03 November 2017 08:18 AM

I’ve had a multi meter on all three other switches and they show power there at all times without ignition key. Does that mean permanent live?

So that’s why I thought connecting into the boot lighting would be the same way to do it. ?

The blue/orange drivers door wire appears dead at all times, switch open or closed where as the blue/red to boot bulb is live

please bare with my basic electric knowledge

Thanks

Dubzy 03 November 2017 08:50 AM

Im not sure how your testing them but the wires into my door switches are earths, that are broken when the door is closed. I wired some puddle lights into my front doors and used the factory switches to operate them.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...d8c6c0d0f7.jpg

cubbs 03 November 2017 09:18 AM

I’m testing the wires with a bulb tester. Rear doors and passenger switch are showing power at the wire upto the switch when door is open. No power at wire to drivers door switch.

Not sure what year that diagram is for. Mines a bug But I aprreciate you showing that diagram

Do you think its a case of teeing into one of the other door switch wires or it not that simple?

Thanks

Dubzy 03 November 2017 09:29 AM

A bulb tester is not the tool to use.

The wiring diagram is for a 2002 model impreza.

get a piece of wire and attatch one end to a good earthing point and the other end to your drivers door switch and see if your light comes on.

If your not great with wiring then yes you can run a wire from one of the other door switches to your drivers door.

Make sure the switch is not at fault, test both terminals with the switch open and closed for resistance.

does your alarm go off if you open your drivers door using the key with the alarm set ??

alcazar 03 November 2017 10:31 AM

Have you thought of taking off the trim panel in the driver's footwell and tracing the cable back?

cubbs 03 November 2017 10:59 AM

Dubzy I’ve pm’d you

alcazar ive take off a few trims. There’s a lot of wires in that loom! Be ripping most of car apart to trace those wires. Got a trackday on Sunday so can’t be doing that.

alcazar 03 November 2017 02:12 PM

Look at the colour at the door switch.
Then uncover the loom and trace back to the first join. Or find the join and carefully cut the loom wrapping there.

Dubzy 03 November 2017 06:59 PM

It sounds like you do have a break somewhere between the door switch and the interior lighting module.

You said when you connected a live wire to the drivers door switch that it blew a fuse which it should correctly do and indicates that the earth feed to the switch is good.

Try connecting the live wire to any of the other door switches and the same fuse should blow again.