ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Dacia (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1050775-dacia.html)

lozgti1 26 October 2017 09:55 PM

Dacia

I like 'no nonsense' cars. Not seen any bad write ups about them.

Anyone know anything about them? Got one?

The Trooper 1815 26 October 2017 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11974271)

Renaults "Skoda". Like you not heard to many horrors as they are not french built.

dpb 27 October 2017 12:07 AM

Sister has the Duster , I think

To replace lada niva which she couldn't keep going.

Backward step probably

ALi-B 27 October 2017 08:46 PM

If you come across one driving in France or Spain, give a wide berth....almost always driven by people who have upgraded from a Aixam microcar or just scrapped/written off their Renault 4 (you still see loads of 4s in Spain, meandering drunkardly at 20mph :eek: )

As such they often cannot drive or park, I'm amazed they even managed to start the engine!

Car is probably OK...its just based on a Renault Clio underneath...mechanically they were fine, it was the electrics that ruined them.

hedgecutter 27 October 2017 09:00 PM

Hired one aboard ; brand new and possibly the worst and most frightening car I have ever been in. The accelerator kept sticking down; genuinely worse than an Allegro. It was a small one, not a duster

lozgti1 27 October 2017 09:55 PM

lol.

Didn't even know there was a french connection. Just thought might be interesting cheap 4x4 ! Sadly as much as I claim I have no prejudice over cars,I am a bit iffy if there is anything francais (take me back to the 80's and french cars were a passion that no prejudice could have put me off!)

Cheers for the input:thumb:

ALi-B 29 October 2017 11:29 AM

They also badge engineer them as Ladas too. :thumb:

And don't forget the Nissan link too...so a Lada could indeed contain Nissan engineering (somewhere :Suspiciou :lol1: )

Renault being savvy about import exports are carrying on with their tradition of building knock-down-kits all over the world...hence Dacia etc. As well as selling off old tooling and designs to the Eastern bloc, although its a lot more advanced though compared to what the did in the pre 80's. Dacia isn't really a knock down kit these days, more of a parts bin special.

Just like Fiat did with Seat and Lada, or indeed British Leyland the latter of which made all sorts around the world, from variants of the Morris Ital (marina) and Maestro in China, and Austins were built all over the place badged as something weird in all sorts of bizarre places.

They still make the Ford Cargo truck in India...badged (and built by) as Leyland. And Kia almost ended up fitting Rover K-series engines into their cars! Mad or what :lol1:

lozgti1 29 October 2017 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11974773)
Rover K-series engines into their cars! Mad or what :lol1:

That K-series seemed to go on forever!!

Have to say, in this day and age I am completely confused by who is linked with who, who uses whose engines and parts, and who owns who! lol:D

Nearly got my who's and whose mixed up too

ALi-B 29 October 2017 03:31 PM

Tell me about; I just fitted a tow hitch to a brand new Jeep...had a peek under the bonnet and it has what looks like some sort of Fiat v6 diesel under there....

They used to have Mercedes engines....or VM motori....or VW. :wonder:

The Trooper 1815 01 November 2017 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11974827)
Tell me about; I just fitted a tow hitch to a brand new Jeep...had a peek under the bonnet and it has what looks like some sort of Fiat v6 diesel under there....

They used to have Mercedes engines....or VM motori....or VW. :wonder:

The JEEP is a Fiat 500L under the skin I think.

Just like the KA is a Fiat 500.

Norman Dog 16 January 2018 07:46 PM

The wife got a 2015 Sandero Stepway in November, already has had a new gearbox under warranty. :rolleyes:

They're actually not that bad overall, a bit tinny and basic interiors, but alright for what they cost.

The 0.9 TCe Renault engine actually pulls quite well on the road, only £20 a year road tax too. :)

EddScott 17 January 2018 10:54 AM

A mate has had a duster for a good few years. Never had any problems with it.

Funnily enough, they are the weapon of choice, badged as Renault in Ukraine for the Chernobyl power plant.

WRXrowdy 03 February 2018 11:42 AM

Just got back from South Africa, where all Dacia wear the Renault badge.
Early dusters can show signs of rust inside door shuts etc as paint protection wasn't great.

Many badge engineered cars nowadays, my Volvo is a Ford Focus, vauxhalls are now becoming renaults underneath, as said ford car is based on fiat 500, and oddly the Vauxhall corsa shared punto underpinnings.

As for who owns who, VAG probably have the monopoly on that one, with:-
Volkswagen
Audi
Seat
Skoda
Porsche
Bentley
Lamborghini
Bugatti
M.A.N trucks
Scania (think they have controlling percentage)
Ducati

Probably missed a few but also had something like a 14% stake in Suzuki as well until recently

markjmd 03 February 2018 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11993125)
Just got back from South Africa, where all Dacia wear the Renault badge.
Early dusters can show signs of rust inside door shuts etc as paint protection wasn't great.

Many badge engineered cars nowadays, my Volvo is a Ford Focus, vauxhalls are now becoming renaults underneath, as said ford car is based on fiat 500, and oddly the Vauxhall corsa shared punto underpinnings.

As for who owns who, VAG probably have the monopoly on that one, with:-
Volkswagen
Audi
Seat
Skoda
Porsche
Bentley
Lamborghini
Bugatti
M.A.N trucks
Scania (think they have controlling percentage)
Ducati

Probably missed a few but also had something like a 14% stake in Suzuki as well until recently

It's PSA Group who took over Vauxhall, not Renault :thumb:

alcazar 03 February 2018 02:31 PM

Daft names, Duster? Sandero?

What next? J-Cloth and Jigsawo? LOL

ALi-B 03 February 2018 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 11993144)

To confuse things further Vauxhall's large vans are rebadged Renaults and badge shared with Nissan and Fiat (Talento). Fiat's larger vans are PSA, whilst PSA's larger vans sometime have Ford Transit engines, whilst Ford's cars sometimes have PSA's engines.

Great eh!? :lol1:

lozgti1 03 February 2018 11:06 PM

lol

Don't really understand the benefits for them all.To me I buy skoda because I think it seems exactly the same as my old audi with a vw engine.

And I really really fancy a Skoda Karoq. Which is probably the Seat Ateca (lovely) Audi Q2 and VW Tiguan

AAArgh

wrx300scooby 04 February 2018 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11974271)

Hired one in Cyprus last year, would I buy one,no. Not a patch on wifeys new i10 to give you an idea😆😆

WRXrowdy 06 February 2018 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 11993144)

Yes it is, brain fade moment, meant to write Peugeot!

An0n0m0us 09 February 2018 07:22 AM

If they made the Duster look like this as standard i’d probably buy one:

http://cdn4.3dtuning.com/info/Renaul...r/tuning/4.jpg