ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Impreza gearbox (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/1050427-impreza-gearbox.html)

esa.wicklund 09 October 2017 09:29 AM

Impreza gearbox

Hello! I have a Subaru Impreza (2005, WRX, increased to 280 HP) with manual 5-gear gearbox coded ty754vn6aa. My gearbox is a bit broken and I'm in need for a replacement gearbox since it would be too expensive to fix the old one. It seems to be difficult to find a gearbox with the same model number. Do you have any advice where to get a replacement gearbox this model or other model suitable for my vehicle?

NOSSY_89 09 October 2017 12:23 PM

Mate been there done that lol on a classic. Try AS performance on here

gazney101 09 October 2017 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by esa.wicklund (Post 11970803)
Hello! I have a Subaru Impreza (2005, WRX, increased to 280 HP) with manual 5-gear gearbox coded ty754vn6aa. My gearbox is a bit broken and I'm in need for a replacement gearbox since it would be too expensive to fix the old one. It seems to be difficult to find a gearbox with the same model number. Do you have any advice where to get a replacement gearbox this model or other model suitable for my vehicle?

As long as you fit a rear diff with the matching ratio, any classic or newage 5mt will work

NOSSY_89 09 October 2017 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by gazney101 (Post 11970910)
As long as you fit a rear diff with the matching ratio, any classic or newage 5mt will work

It can add to the cost ;)

Arch 12 October 2017 10:33 PM

Any of the TY754VN boxes will fit, the later 6AA boxes I believe seem slightly better but basically the VN designates a UK box with 1:1.1 drop gears using a 3.54 rear diff.

esa.wicklund 14 October 2017 02:22 PM

Thanks for the replies.. I need to educate myself about the gearbox codes. I was told that the ratio of my gearbox is 3.9, is this false information? I find it better to find a new one with similar ratio since I'm not into changing any other parts (economics issue).. So if someone has the knowledge about the exact gearbox codes with similar ratio, I would be happy. It would really ease me to get what I need for my poor silver blobeye :D

Arch 15 October 2017 11:58 PM

All the information you need is above, whoever told you your gearbox uses a 3.9 rear diff doesn't know what they are talking about. Your gearbox has a 3.9 final drive, this is then passed through the drop gears which have a 1:1.1 ratio this changes the output to the diff to 3.54.
You could always fit a 3.9 rear diff and see what happens.

esa.wicklund 16 October 2017 08:06 AM

Actually I meant final drive - I believe my source of information know what he's talking about, but I just learned the difference as I 'educated myself' last night by googleing some information about Subaru gearboxes. I found a long list about models, it opened my eyes a bit. It seems that there are many models that would fit straightly into my car, but some of them are better than the others.

I assume my old gearbox, again coded TY754VN6AA is one of the best ones - which means many other Subaru owners have wanted that model as well - which means they're 'sold out' everywhere. Especially here where I live. I asked this from the importer of Subaru, they told that they wouldn't fix gearboxes but they can order me a new one, which would cost 7700€ + labour. Well, you know, I didn't take one. Ok, I found a service that would fix mine and they estimated it would cost 2200€. I'm sure it would be even more cos you can't tell for 100% sure, which parts of the gearbox are broken before you open it.

So, I believe I still need to keep searching one of TY754VN6AA's or TY754VN4AA's with a reasonable prize..

I e-mailed to AS Performance, thanks for that tip! Keep posting if you could help me anyhow! Thanks!!!

S10WRC 16 October 2017 09:58 AM

I have a spare freshly rebuilt ..VN4AA gearbox in my garage, but would need to work out how to get it to Finland for you, if you were interested....

Steve

The Rig 16 October 2017 11:58 AM

Just be careful to not get a box that spoils the drive, for instance, if you had an import with the VB boxes and fitted a VN box/diff the gears are longer etc and vice versa for a uk car if you fit the import box the gears are shorter

my car takes the vb3fa box, those are virtually extinct now !

esa.wicklund 16 October 2017 05:06 PM

The Rig, that's why I'm trying to find this information here to make sure the one I'm gonna put in is fitting good for my car. The box I now have is the original of that car. And the car has been used only in Finland, but my knowledge isn't good enough to tell if the car model is similar to UK ones. I think so, cos it's not similar to Japanese.. But then again, I drive at the left side. Wicked!

@S10WRC, I sent you a message.