ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   wide track suspension for a GC8 (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/1050213-wide-track-suspension-for-a-gc8.html)

sparks_c/s 28 September 2017 01:12 AM

wide track suspension for a GC8

What coilovers or otherwise are people using for the widetrack set up in a gc8?
I'm not too fussed on coilovers if there's an alternative as its just a road car with track day fun in mind.
I've been told by the parts supplier that I have all the gear I need apart from struts, but there's one thing that I can get my head around.
Surely if I have the whole widetrack set up from an 05+ including d/shafts & hubs, I'm going to need the wider front & rear lower arms also to match? :wonder:

Can someone help a little with my education?

gazney101 28 September 2017 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by sparks_c/s (Post 11968604)
What coilovers or otherwise are people using for the widetrack set up in a gc8?
I'm not too fussed on coilovers if there's an alternative as its just a road car with track day fun in mind.
I've been told by the parts supplier that I have all the gear I need apart from struts, but there's one thing that I can get my head around.
Surely if I have the whole widetrack set up from an 05+ including d/shafts & hubs, I'm going to need the wider front & rear lower arms also to match? :wonder:

Can someone help a little with my education?

That's correct, the front lower arms and rear lateral link arms are shorter on a non widetrack car.
The front and rear subframes are also slightly different

2pot 29 September 2017 02:45 PM

I am biased toward struts on a road car, but.....

If you're keeping the gc front subframe? You'll need to press the shorter gc front bushes into the gd sti arms. You could use a gc urethane bushing instead, but, imo, pivot points are better in rubber, on a road car.
If you swap to a gd front subframe, you can use gd arms/bushes.
Source a front bar that fits the subframe and allows for the wider track.

Then you'll need to do all/some of:
Roll the arches, run excessive (for road) camber, increase the wheel et, find a tyre that actually measures its stated width and stiff springing/ride height adjustment (coilovers) - just to stop the tyre hitting the arch. "Any suspension will work, if you don't let it" (Colin Chapman).

I don't know why you'd want to increase the rear track, on a gc road car? If you did, you've got even more arch contact problems, than you'll have at the front.

I'm assuming you want a compliant, road-going, suspension?

Arch 08 October 2017 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by gazney101 (Post 11968626)
That's correct, the front lower arms and rear lateral link arms are shorter on a non widetrack car.
The front and rear subframes are also slightly different

If you change the bush in the front alloy arm to a pre widetrack bush then the front subframe does not need to be changed that's the only difference apart from the Hawk subframes being a bit stiffer. Same with rear they are just a bit stronger fitment of the suspension components is the same.

Arch 08 October 2017 11:03 PM

Oops just read the reply above

sparks_c/s 06 July 2018 03:22 AM

Widetrack suspension on a GC8

Thanks to everyone that replied to my post last year, there's something wrong with my notifications, after the first reply I didn't know there were more..

This original post was all a pre-curser to doing a 6 speed swap rom a 55 plate widetrack to my 95 GC8.
So, all went well with the swap, my alloy GC8 front arms were identical to the GDB ones I had purchased (apart from the yawl sensor pick-up) so didn't use them.
I left both sub-frames & just changed to the STI rear arms & extended my trailing arms to suit.
Widetrack suspension, 180 diff & matching box, all in.

Here's the problem..

I had to make a adaptor plate for the rear strut tower, it's a temporary thing for sure, the camber is good but it sit's around 12mm higher than I'd wanted. I'd like a way to connect the GDB strut to the GC8 chassis.

Does anyone know of a GDB to GC8 top mount that would suit?
I have been told that 90-91 Legacy AWD rear mounts are the way as the STI springs I have measure 100mm I.D at the top.
I've spent hours looking & can't find a pair for sale anywhere!!

Surely someone has come across this problem before? :)

Thanks in advance

2pot 06 July 2018 10:25 AM

You could use rear bugeye springs (125mm top id) with gc8 rear top mounts.

Or, wa/a2 sti springs (125mm rear top id) with gc8 top mounts:
WA/A2 04-07 GD GG STI Springs - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

The following can be ordered with an optional gd stud pattern: https://rally.build/products/subaru-...-reinforcement

Dannymot 06 July 2018 09:08 PM

I was also under the impression that the chassis are slightly diffrent too the gc have a lower front upper strut turret compared to the gd . So fitting a widetrack 114 shocker will result in a lesser spring travel.
You can modify them by fitting extended top mounts but it’s a lot of work easier to get a gc shock with a 114 hub mounting brackets.

Dannymot 06 July 2018 09:17 PM

Just to add I have a set of bilstien b14 114 hub for sale , £650 plus postage.

sparks_c/s 07 July 2018 10:34 AM

Hi there,
I got the whole set up for a steal & they're in such good condition that I'd like to use them for a while.
The GDB Pinks are on the car & sits well, it's a little firm but will do for now.
I can use the rear GC8 top mounts if I can find a set of 100mm I.D spring plates to use, I've looked for these also but with no luck, any ideas if there are other oem or aftermarket plates I could use?

Cheers!

2pot 07 July 2018 10:55 AM

Your only other option are the rear 90-91 Legacy 4wd (not 2wd version) top mounts and rubbers - if they're still available?
1 x
20370AA001 Legacy 4wd top mount
1 x 20370AA011 Legacy 4wd top mount
2 x 20375AA011 top rubber isolators

2pot 07 July 2018 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by sparks_c/s (Post 12017169)
The GDB Pinks are on the car & sits well, it's a little firm but will do for now.

That's normally due to the, 60mm, rock-hard front bump stops - which were a form of pitch control.