ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   400bhp Blob - brake options/opinions (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/1049916-400bhp-blob-brake-options-opinions.html)

rickybobby 14 September 2017 09:34 PM

400bhp Blob - brake options/opinions

Hi all, my blob sti build has been gathering momentum and is likely to be done in the next few months.
Projected power (based on 2 friends with similar cars/turbo/mods) is 420bhp.

My question is regarding braking. I'm currently running the standard Brembos front and rear.
Front are MTech discs with carbon lorraine CL5 pads
Rear are standard vented discs with cosworth streetmaster pads

At the current power level, 336bhp the brakes perform ok, however the CL's tend to squeel at low speed/temperature and have now been on the car 2 years. I recently needed to stop rather sharpish and felt less than confident when asking for a little more.

Both my friends have either AP's or K-sports which are out of my budget at the moment, so is there a decent disc/pad combination for brembos that will cope with the increased power or should I really be looking to save for bigger discs/calipers?

Would like to hear some real world opinions on what works please :thumb:

john_666 14 September 2017 11:09 PM

Im in the same boat.. i nearly bought k sports today but ive been advised a good pad and disc with braided hoses and 5.1 fluid are a lot better than k sports.. ��

harry007 14 September 2017 11:18 PM

get a good set of project me pads and discs you will be fine..

to up the anti, go for ap racing set up or a porsche gt3 set up at front. but at 420bhp, brembos are more thank capable.

H

harry007 14 September 2017 11:20 PM

project mu not me

rickybobby 15 September 2017 10:14 AM

Never heard of them. Had a look around and cant see a uk stockist Harry?

Are they a proven disc/pad or just another example of expensive being good?

From reading around the ones I've seen mentioned are
DS2500
EBC NDX
CL5
And a variety of discs, either 1 piece or 2 piece

Tidgy 15 September 2017 12:58 PM

by the time you get to 400 i'd be looking at AP's, i;ve had various different setups and they are by far the best out there.

SmurfyBhoy 15 September 2017 04:31 PM

Imho having both a bug sti with brembos as daily n blob with ksports for fun would be that the brembos will prob stop you that one emergency quicker and better.

Its the repeated use where the ksports shine.

Im not even running the most expensive pads

Yellowstuff in brembos i think didnt fit em myself

Orangestuff in ksports.

Tidgy 15 September 2017 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11965802)
Imho having both a bug sti with brembos as daily n blob with ksports for fun would be that the brembos will prob stop you that one emergency quicker and better.

Its the repeated use where the ksports shine.

Im not even running the most expensive pads

Yellowstuff in brembos i think didnt fit em myself

Orangestuff in ksports.

I've just gone from a set of 330mm 4 pot AP's to brembos (admittedly on a classic to a new age) and the brembos are seriously under powered by comparison even when stone cold.

rickybobby 15 September 2017 06:33 PM

Any feedback on the Godspeed disc/pad combinations for brembos?

At £400-700ish theres quite a variety in price, from the kevlar/grooved to the 2 piece kit.

The car will mainly be a road car, driven by myself, an old duffer, but I would like to do a trackday or 2 at some point.

bustaMOVEs 15 September 2017 06:41 PM

I'd up them rc5 pads to rc6 as the 5s are better suited for lighter cars, for a blob I'd be deffo going for the rc6, the squeal are just cold temperature, when upto their operating temps then there's no squeal, mate them with a good quality grey iron disc (not a cheap meterial) like a genuine brembo disc will be good as a minimum start and are decent prices out there for them discs circa £100. And circa £150 for pads so £250 and you have a capable set up imo if you feel your current set up is not upto the job.
And please avoid cheaper discs regardless of what folk say!

bustaMOVEs 15 September 2017 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11965761)
by the time you get to 400 i'd be looking at AP's, i;ve had various different setups and they are by far the best out there.

But even the APs are crap if a crap pad is fitted as I have found out. Any set up is not going to be right if the relevant metirial is not chosen.

Tidgy 15 September 2017 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11965828)
But even the APs are crap if a crap pad is fitted as I have found out. Any set up is not going to be right if the relevant metirial is not chosen.

Yup. Have to confess I'm not actually sure what was on the type r. But comparing it to the limited it's night and day in all situations.

bustaMOVEs 15 September 2017 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11965843)
Yup. Have to confess I'm not actually sure what was on the type r. But comparing it to the limited it's night and day in all situations.

Wow you've actually agreed on something lol, I was expecting a negative response from you :lol1:

fawor 15 September 2017 09:35 PM

Ksports are way better than 4 pot brembos, ksports disc is better than ap in the same size.
Use PF disc 355mm on ksports
I had all of them including 4pots, now on ap cp9040 362mm with braided lines an tegiwa stopper
Sadly no PF disc with 362mm size

Tidgy 15 September 2017 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11965853)
Wow you've actually agreed on something lol, I was expecting a negative response from you :lol1:

i'll agree if its correct :hjtwofing

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

harry007 15 September 2017 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by rickybobby (Post 11965732)
Never heard of them. Had a look around and cant see a uk stockist Harry?

Are they a proven disc/pad or just another example of expensive being good?

From reading around the ones I've seen mentioned are
DS2500
EBC NDX
CL5
And a variety of discs, either 1 piece or 2 piece

Sure try Tom from Sprinting Hare JDM from Bristol he can supply them. Checkout my thread as he supplied a whole load of parts for me. I am running project mu pads and discs and they are more than sufficient.

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...c-type-ra.html

Wull 16 September 2017 07:32 PM

If it's for fast road then surely the Brembo brakes with uprated pads will do the job and do it well.

I'm running rc5+ pads on my 400bhp bugeye and they're awesome, even on track they were good so unless you're doing a lot of track miles I'd say it was overkill.

RAGGY DOO 17 September 2017 08:46 AM

Ap front and rear brakes are awesome

rickybobby 17 September 2017 12:09 PM

Are the 2 piece discs really worth the price? Almost 3 times the cost of a single piece disc but claim several heat related benefits.

I realise that initially I'll be paying for bells that wont need replacing but cant seem to find a price for the outer discs so I can get an idea of long term costs.

alcazar 17 September 2017 01:18 PM

Contact Ian at Godspeed.

RAGGY DOO 17 September 2017 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11966132)
Contact Ian at Godspeed.

You mean ring him
He doesn’t respond to emails
Nor that form you fill out on his website

rickybobby 18 September 2017 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11966155)
You mean ring him

Have to say I agree. Asked for advice via email etc and got no reply so went ahead the other night and tried to place an order on the Godspeed site.

After a 4 stage checkout it gave me the option to pay by paypal or card, but upon trying it would only direct me to paypal which I dont have. Attempted more than once in case I was doing something wrong and in the end gave up (late saturday night).

Godspeed Brakes 19 September 2017 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11966155)
You mean ring him

Yes ring if you want an immediate answer , we are catching up on email requests , just we are very busy at the moment , as well as preparing for rallyday on Saturday , you should have an answer today , and i'll also put a reply on here for all to see

Originally Posted by rickybobby (Post 11966455)
Have to say I agree. Asked for advice via email etc and got no reply so went ahead the other night and tried to place an order on the Godspeed site.

After a 4 stage checkout it gave me the option to pay by paypal or card, but upon trying it would only direct me to paypal which I dont have. Attempted more than once in case I was doing something wrong and in the end gave up (late saturday night).

You can still pay by card on our site even though it's through paypal , we also take cards over the phone , what's your name , i'll see if I can see a message from you

Cheers Ian