ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   HELP !! 6 speed conversion for my 2000 UK (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1049876-help-6-speed-conversion-for-my-2000-uk.html)

wrxmargy 12 September 2017 07:21 PM

HELP !! 6 speed conversion for my 2000 UK

Hi all
I'm looking for the easiest way to make my 1998 UK turbo a 6 speed, The cars eventually going to be running 400bh and I know the 5 speed will loose the will to live soon after 350bh if not before !
I've read that if I get a uk sti 6 speed I don't have to change the diff , is this correct ? Is so ill go for that option but ide like to know what else is needed work and parts wise

Thanks in advance

Steve Whitehorn 12 September 2017 08:17 PM

To drop a six speed into a UK 98 -

A UK 6 speed gearbox set up has 3.9 front diff 1:1:1 drop gear and a R180 3.545 rear diff

With a UK 6 speed gearbox you can therefore keep your existing 3.54 R160 rear diff, rear drive shafts and rear hubs.

You can also use your existing flywheel, clutch, starter motor and front drive shafts.
I personally would fit a six speed clutch - Exedy are good

wrxmargy 12 September 2017 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn (Post 11965236)
To drop a six speed into a UK 98 -

A UK 6 speed gearbox set up has 3.9 front diff 1:1:1 drop gear and a R180 3.545 rear diff

With a UK 6 speed gearbox you can therefore keep your existing 3.54 R160 rear diff, rear drive shafts and rear hubs.

You can also use your existing flywheel, clutch, starter motor and front drive shafts.
I personally would fit a six speed clutch - Exedy are good

That's a quality reply mate thank you very much ! Not as big of a job as I thought then ! Any particular box to look out for ?

Thanks mate

wrxmargy 13 September 2017 11:03 AM

Rob Day 13 September 2017 12:53 PM

What will you be using the car for?

Cheapest option would be a UK bugeye, but for track purposes I would imagine a late Forester STI box.

FWIW I stripped a 5 speed because I wasn't sympatric, this was on a bugeye wrx. Now I believe, subject to debate, the classic boxes were stronger than the newage, and also believe that they are capable for 400 if not launched, however its not the bhp that breaks them, its the torque.

wrxmargy 13 September 2017 02:54 PM

It'll be for odd track use and abit of fun at pod mainly aswell as road use, I'm going to keep my eyes open for a 2003 uk sti bug 6 speed do you think that's a good idea ? I had a 2003 sti and it was bomb proofe !! Wish ice never sold the bloody thing now !

Rob Day 13 September 2017 03:02 PM

All depends on the ratio's you want.

I don't know/have experience enough about each type of box to make a thorough judgement.

There must be over a dozen type of 6 speed boxes.

Ones that seem more track focussed from memory are the JDM Hawk, Forester and maybe the JDM Blob, but again I would gain a second option as I cant be 100% sure.

Steve Whitehorn 13 September 2017 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by wrxmargy (Post 11965269)
That's a quality reply mate thank you very much ! Not as big of a job as I thought then ! Any particular box to look out for ?

Thanks mate

Depends on what ratios you want. The older six speeds are long in the tooth now. The weak points are the Syncros in 4th 5th and 6th. Especially between 5th and 6th. They take big power and abuse but that is where they tend to let go. So I would look into the boxes history... has it had a refurb? - then all well and good - TEG sport are the best for refurbs, but not cheap. How old is it and so on. Buy on condition/history even if it a touch more.

The 5 speeds often let go between 2nd and 3rd. Not always but often. I have seen a TY754VN hold up at about 370hp / 340lbs torque. Personally I would not push one that far as it is all a bit of a lottery.

scooby2.5maz 13 September 2017 06:22 PM

Will have a vbaaa 5 speed available soon out of a 2001 sti

Maz

wrxmargy 13 September 2017 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=Steve Whitehorn;11965417]Depends on what ratios you want. The older six speeds are long in the tooth now. The weak points are the Syncros in 4th 5th and 6th. Especially between 5th and 6th. They take big power and abuse but that is where they tend to let go. So I would look into the boxes history... has it had a refurb? - then all well and good - TEG sport are the best for refurbs, but not cheap. How old is it and so on. Buy on condition/history even if it a touch more

The 5 speeds often let go between 2nd and 3rd. Not always but often. I have seen a TY754VN hold up at about 370hp / 340lbs torque. Personally I would not push one that far as it is all a bit of a lottery.[/QUOTE

I'm not bothered about the ratios really mate I just want a 6 speed that can handle the power and if fairly east to fit cheers pal ]

wrxmargy 13 September 2017 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by scooby2.5maz (Post 11965435)
Will have a vbaaa 5 speed available soon out of a 2001 sti

Maz

Will It handle 400bh tho mate ?

scooby2.5maz 14 September 2017 07:23 AM

I'm running more than 400 bhp in my classic .

Maz