ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Caliper bolts fouling brake rotors (classic front) (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1049457-caliper-bolts-fouling-brake-rotors-classic-front.html)

Ash Webster 20 August 2017 10:07 PM

Caliper bolts fouling brake rotors (classic front)

This project keeps throwing me cureballs...

As title says . Am I missing washers? But the clearance even with a washer is super super tight. Is there something I'm missing. It's the two bolts that go through the hub and the caliper. Opposed forces really doesn't show anything

Cheers

Ash

JDM_Stig 20 August 2017 10:09 PM

Pics ?

Ash Webster 20 August 2017 10:24 PM

I tried to get pics but there is so little to see and it was hard to get it focussed.

Basically the bolts go thru the hub from the inside of the car toward the outside of the car , then they go into the caliper bracket. The rotor fouls the other side of these boltsas they come through t he caliper bracket.

Normally I'd just grind the bolts shorter but they're the exact bolts I took off (and rotors) so I'm stumped as to why they're fouling unless there some thick washer or insert I've misplaced.

Cheers

Ash

Ash Webster 21 August 2017 01:16 PM

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...llustration_5/

bolt number 4 on here.

it couldn't have anything to do with me not having my abs ring on could it? surely not

edit: can anyone on here check their front S U B A R U 4 pots and check if there is a washe ron the caliper mounting bolts?

Godspeed Brakes 21 August 2017 01:33 PM

Yes they have spring washers fitted , that are a bugger to get off the bolts , if yours don't have them maybe the bolts have been changed , but can't answer why they fitted the old discs and not the new ones , unless the discs have worn enough to clear

Ash Webster 21 August 2017 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 11961118)
Yes they have spring washers fitted , that are a bugger to get off the bolts , if yours don't have them maybe the bolts have been changed , but can't answer why they fitted the old discs and not the new ones , unless the discs have worn enough to clear

Cheers. The new bolts (on ICP) do come with spring washers on too - my bolts are clearly the same ones as from 1997 when it was new, and they look completely different : (like this one below)

https://images.rallysportdirect.com/...b_44059aa030_1

I can only assume I have lost some washers along the way.

Thanks,

Ash

Ash Webster 22 August 2017 05:56 PM

Anyone think this could be a bent hub bracket from when I pressed out the old wheel bearing? If so I'm ****ed ha .

EddyCurr 22 August 2017 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Webster (Post 11961006)
I tried to get pics but there is so little to see and it was hard to get it focussed.

Check your camera/phone for a "Macro" setting - often represented on keys with a flower pictograph.

Macro and Super Macro settings enable devices to focus at close distance: mm's and less.

Another aspect to creating sharply focused images is shutter speed. For handheld photos, you'll want to find a way to light the subject area well enough that the device operates at 1/125 or faster, emphasis on faster. I'm guessing that a tripod is out of the question - if feasible, it would reduce movement and shutter speed wouldn't be as important as it is with handheld shots.

Godspeed Brakes 23 August 2017 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Webster (Post 11961347)
Anyone think this could be a bent hub bracket from when I pressed out the old wheel bearing? If so I'm ****ed ha .

Yes that could be a possibility , when the caliper is on the car , check the gap between discs and calipers both sides , top and bottom , and see if the gaps all look the same
Cheers Ian

Ash Webster 24 August 2017 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 11961473)
Yes that could be a possibility , when the caliper is on the car , check the gap between discs and calipers both sides , top and bottom , and see if the gaps all look the same
Cheers Ian

There's about 1mm difference... How badly will this affect the car? A new hub is £££ :/

Cheers,

Ash

Godspeed Brakes 24 August 2017 11:10 AM

Depends if the hub is cracked , it's a possibility , if it is , worst case scenario is the lug could snap off !
If there is any chance the hub has been bent or damaged while fitting bearings , if it was me , i'd change it

gazney101 24 August 2017 12:25 PM

I had a similar issue after fitting a new front wheel bearing, I bought new caliper bolts from icp, when putting it back together the bolts were about 10mm too long. I had some the old bolts to compare and the were indeed shorter and fitted nice.
this was with brembo's btw.

Ash Webster 24 August 2017 04:54 PM

god damnit I cant really afford new hubs :/ they aren't cracked anywhere though... I might just have to grind the bolts down reassemble the car and see how it drives. if it drives sh*te then ill just suck it up and get a new hub on it....

EddyCurr 24 August 2017 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Webster (Post 11961751)
... they aren't cracked anywhere though...

Perhaps not visibly, esp in poor lighting conditions.

Where someone has doubts, there are dye penetrant kits. These are not going to compete head-on with mag particle (Magnaflux) or x-ray inspection. However, they are comparatively inexpensive, dead simple to use in the field on installed parts and a big improvement over just a basic visual examination.

jazzyjembreaze 30 August 2017 01:40 PM

2 diff types of calliper bolt for fitment
Long bolt
Short bolt
Sounds like you have the long bolt fitted & need short ??

Godspeed Brakes 30 August 2017 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze (Post 11962845)
2 diff types of calliper bolt for fitment
Long bolt
Short bolt
Sounds like you have the long bolt fitted & need short ??

Not on the Subaru 4 pot caliper , only 1 bolt , the Brembo has 2 different length bolts depending if you have the harmonic balancer fitted
Cheers Ian

jazzyjembreaze 30 August 2017 03:18 PM

Yes I know what your saying Ian . But if he is using a long bolt from a brembo ( would they not be too long ? I don't own a classic so can't test myself ,
Most problems usually arise from the most obvious solution . He has the wrong bolt ? Ha ha lol

Godspeed Brakes 30 August 2017 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze (Post 11962868)
Yes I know what your saying Ian . But if he is using a long bolt from a brembo ( would they not be too long ? I don't own a classic so can't test myself ,
Most problems usually arise from the most obvious solution . He has the wrong bolt ? Ha ha lol

No they have different threads on both calipers , the Subaru 4 pots are an M12 x 1.25mm pitch , the brembo's are M12 with a 1.5mm pitch
Cheers Ian

Ash Webster 30 August 2017 04:20 PM

Just to add confusion to the matter - The bolts are indeed different sizes. I have two bolts which are x long and two bolts which are approx. 2mm longer (2 for each side). I have tried these in both holes and ... yeh no dice :D. The thing which makes me assume the hub is bent is these were the EXACT bolts I took off the car (I left them screwed in to the calipers even!)

I didn't get chance this weeknd to work on the car as I was at a festival - ill be working on it this weekend for sure, Ill try grinding the bolts down a few mm and then see how the discs /wheels rotate when the caliper is back on. What signals should I be looking for for a bent hub? Wobbling about? Noises?

Cheers,

Ash

Ash Webster 10 September 2017 09:05 AM

Just for anyone who was wondering - got the bolts off icp and they are a good 8mm shorter than the original ones I had. So installed them and they are pretty much the perfect length.

So one of either 2 possibilities:

1. The bolts I had weren't the original somehow or were missing some washers (but 5mm+ of washers really?)

2. The hubs are still bent and the shorter bolt are just masking this

anyway I managed to bleed the whole system yesterday so I'm a happier guy than before!