ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   EJ20 Block which to use (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1049419-ej20-block-which-to-use.html)

Linksfahrer 18 August 2017 10:53 AM

EJ20 Block which to use

Hello Together,

Bottom end of my MY 05 WRX at 330hp started to fail. :(
Tap Taping under throttle load.

As it looks after taking the heads off the block does now need a rebore,
which Im not inclined to do as my forged pistons 92 mm and my WRX heads are still in top condition. Therefore Im looking for a EJ20 block / just to hone in for my Pistons using new rings, new crank, bearings, pump & cooler.

Ebay is full of expensive Sti / WRX Long/Short Motors with dubious histories. I don't need closed deck at this state of tune either.

Can I use any 2 Liter EJ20 block from non Turbo Impreza / Forester / Legacy EJ20 ?

Best regs Ralph

Henrik 18 August 2017 12:09 PM

I believe you can. My 2.1 engine was built around a block from a non turbo impreza.

I think around 1998/1999 the cranks changed to rear thrust bearing (no5 bearing), so you want one from 1999 onwards.

also, if you buy a working non turbo engine (2.0) you will be able to use the crank too if you want.

I'm not 100% sure the legacy engines are the same, but certainly impreza should fit, but having said that, I would be surprised if legacy blocks were not the same also.

Linksfahrer 18 August 2017 12:19 PM

Thanks Henrik for the tip on the rear thrust bearing #5 , I had forgotten about that.

Anyone else got some advice on Forester/Legacy EJ20 's ?
which year of mfg. ?

then I can use one from my local breakers. Cheers

AS Performance 19 August 2017 08:44 AM

all of the blocks are the same architecture age for age...........

if your simply looking for an Open deck block then you will have the choice of many.......

SmurfyBhoy 19 August 2017 10:55 AM

I was led to believe there were thicker cylinder walled ones and thin walled ones,

JDM Blocks etc,

AS Performance 19 August 2017 11:24 AM

the "thick wall" semi-closed block is only used in the JDM Spec-C STi Hatchback car i believe and all others continue to use the "std" semi-closed block

all WRX's, etc. simply use an open deck block

merlin24 19 August 2017 07:47 PM

As above, the W20 thick linered block is found on the jdm hatch

joe v3sti 19 August 2017 08:23 PM

I use common as muck open deck block in my hillclimb car. Alyn from As performance put a closed deck insert in it. It's fair to say that it gets well and truely used!

Linksfahrer 21 August 2017 03:59 PM

EJ20 Block to use

Ok all , thanks for the advice.

I have just located a Forester SG Motor block apparently with low miles
now i am hoping I can just hone it and can get my 92 mm forged Pistons back in.

Lets hope it lives up to the description when I go to get it.

Cheers Linksfahrer