ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   You have to replace an album from your youth... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1049346-you-have-to-replace-an-album-from-your-youth.html)

lozgti1 14 August 2017 10:38 PM

You have to replace an album from your youth...

As I was a child of 70's but mainly 80's music, and it was all music on tapes,lol, really got to update my now unplayable tapes.

Really do need to get 'Brother's in Arms' Dire Straits on full whack in my car again...

dpb 14 August 2017 11:21 PM

Ha,Went to play cd today, jumped all over

So got out 30 years old tape, which was itself was recorded from the original

Good as new and much better than mucked around digital stuff :)

Jj Cale.

Either 86 or 87

ALi-B 15 August 2017 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11959679)
As I was a child of 70's but mainly 80's music, and it was all music on tapes,lol, really got to update my now unplayable tapes.

Really do need to get 'Brother's in Arms' Dire Straits on full whack in my car again...

Lol, I found their first album whilst rummaging a few weeks back; Chrome tape edition.. still have a tape deck in the Jag so plonked it on; Forgot how good it was :thumb:

Ordered CD on amazon the next day, now ripped at 320 bitrate AAC. (Amazons auto rip is only 256kbps mp3 :mad: ).

Big question on ordering new reproductions is if you get the remastered stuff and "best of" versions. Remastered is not always better as they fiddle with the dynamic range (like make quiet bits louder) and the "best ofs" sometimes miss some lesser known gems. I've got a best of Eurythmics CD which is the worst of both, it sounded so terrible I tried it on I another HiFi system to make sure it was the CD!

Dave Y 15 August 2017 02:02 AM

Motown Chartbusters.
Lent to a mate never seen again.

Pross 15 August 2017 02:18 AM

Peter and the Test Tube Babies - Pissed and Proud. 1982 green vinyl. Dog ate it, gutted.

Paben 15 August 2017 08:07 AM

I saw Martha and the Vandellas at St Fagans Burning Lantern last weekend. The event was poorly organised and sadly the girls couldn't match my old tape of them. Luckily the Shires were brilliant!

The Trooper 1815 15 August 2017 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11959706)
I saw Martha and the Vandellas at St Fagans Burning Lantern last weekend. The event was poorly organised and sadly the girls couldn't match my old tape of them. Luckily the Shires were brilliant!

1 1/2 queuing for beers. It was shocking :cry:

I have donated my Stiff Little Fingers - Flammable Material album to my god daughter who is a bit alternative. She loves the music and we are searching a good example for her.

wayne9t9 15 August 2017 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 11959699)
Motown Chartbusters.
Lent to a mate never seen again.

That brings back some memories. One of the girls brought it into school and we were allowed to listen to it. It was definitely one of my first memories of a style of music that really grabbed my attention so I went out and bought a copy, god knows what happened to it. There were a few different volumes of it, this one was Vol. 3. I remember the distinct shiny cover. If you want to replace it, or any other music you have lost discogs. com is good. https://www.discogs.com/Various-Moto.../master/217924

alcazar 15 August 2017 11:31 AM

Tracks of my Tears.....brilliant

If ever a track was designed to appeal to teenagers......

alcazar 15 August 2017 11:32 AM

But the one I'd replace would be The Beatles, Revolver.

Dr Hu 15 August 2017 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11959679)

I think you'll find the pinnacle of Dire Straits was the truly excellent Love over Gold album - Telegraph Road is my most epic track from my youth - still listen to it regularly - it never fails to disappoint - Private Investigations is a close second - Ok I'll maybe I can be persuaded to pass on the Industrial Disease track which jarrs slightly with the others, but the whole album is killer :thumb:

But then I was (and still am) an avid DS and Mark Knopfler fan - boy he can still play a guitar!

The Trooper 1815 15 August 2017 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Hu (Post 11959750)
I think you'll find the pinnacle of Dire Straits was the truly excellent Love over Gold album - Telegraph Road is my most epic track from my youth - still listen to it regularly - it never fails to disappoint - Private Investigations is a close second - Ok I'll maybe I can be persuaded to pass on the Industrial Disease track which jarrs slightly with the others, but the whole album is killer :thumb:

But then I was (and still am) an avid DS and Mark Knopfler fan - boy he can still play a guitar!

Not just me then.
:notworthy

pacenote 15 August 2017 02:24 PM

Still have most of the Strait's stuff on Vinyl

If you like Mark Knopfler, he's done some good music for Films, the soundtrack to "Local Hero" is excellent

:thumb:

markjmd 15 August 2017 06:24 PM

Got a slight scratch on side 2 of my original vinyl copy of Bowie's Scary Monsters, so might have to get a replacement for that at some point.

Dave Y 15 August 2017 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by wayne9t9 (Post 11959738)
That brings back some memories. One of the girls brought it into school and we were allowed to listen to it. It was definitely one of my first memories of a style of music that really grabbed my attention so I went out and bought a copy, god knows what happened to it. There were a few different volumes of it, this one was Vol. 3. I remember the distinct shiny cover. If you want to replace it, or any other music you have lost discogs. com is good. https://www.discogs.com/Various-Moto.../master/217924

Which was the one with the dancers on the front ?

Funkii Munkii 16 August 2017 02:24 PM

I still have every
"Blank" Cassette (hundreds of mix tapes TDK SA and MA90's)
Album Cassettes
Cassingles, yes i have a few ;)
7", 10",12" singles, floppy disc, picture discs
CD's
CD Singles
SACD's

I ever bought so no need to replace anything, I swear the vinyl and cassettes in the loft are making the ceiling bow :D

Funkii Munkii 16 August 2017 02:56 PM

Check out this sweet little tool

The Modern day retro walkman

http://elbow.co.nf/

wayne9t9 16 August 2017 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 11959882)
Which was the one with the dancers on the front ?

This one?

http://images.eil.com/large_image/XXX-665084.jpg

Dave Y 17 August 2017 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by wayne9t9 (Post 11960217)

Not that one.
They were small silhouettes that went round in a circle and covered the front of the album.Sorry for the rubbish description.

Dave Y 20 August 2017 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 11960231)
Not that one.
They were small silhouettes that went round in a circle and covered the front of the album.Sorry for the rubbish description.

I have found it on E Bay

joz8968 20 August 2017 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y
I have found it on E Bay

Link?

I'm curious.... Because I invested a lot of time trying to find it, myself lol

Dave Y 21 August 2017 03:29 AM

I am a hairy arsed old trucker who doesn't have a clue how to put a link up.
Sorry.
I only found it as a cd.

legb4rsk 21 August 2017 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 11961027)
I am a hairy arsed old trucker who doesn't have a clue how to put a link up.
Sorry.
I only found it as a cd.

you tease! What album was it.:wonder:

:D

Dave Y 21 August 2017 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk (Post 11961073)
you tease! What album was it.:wonder:

:D

Motown Chartbusters.

ALi-B 28 August 2017 10:30 AM

Lazy day today, so thought I'd have a look at why my Eurythmics album seemed to sound worse than the tapes I had from yesteryear;

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/60262

Backed up by opinions on this thread : http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...est-hits.4393/

Yep, apparently the worst version you can buy for audio quality...no wonder it was cheap (£2.99). :lol1:

Dr Hu 29 August 2017 03:26 PM

^^^^ Hmmmm - I bought a Fleetwood Mac greatest hits 'remastered' CD a few years back and its actually unlistenable too - there is sooo much Treble on it it actually physcially hurts to listen to it - I kid you not - its been the most disappointing CD I ever bought!

Whoever remastered it needs to be decapitated at dawn via a 1,000 remastered FM CD's flung at their neck!

ALi-B 29 August 2017 05:31 PM

That Dynamic range website is pretty handy to check out if any prospective purchases haven't been butchered when remastered or dumped on a greatest hits CD.

The best dynamic range on there is s recording of a frying egg :cuckoo: :lol1:

Interestingly the LPs aren't as badly affected, presumably, like tape you can't put too much loudness on vinyl; as they have the bass cut and treble boosted when printed, then re-equalised back by the pre-amp (which is why a turntable sounds terrible if you plug it into a aux or cd input on a amp).