ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Forged EJ25 Oil Pressure (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1048899-forged-ej25-oil-pressure.html)

streetshinedetail 26 July 2017 02:30 PM

Forged EJ25 Oil Pressure

Hi all,

Just wanted to double check something with you lot (and get opinions) on oil pressure. I know this has been asked a bit in the past with varied results. Took the car out for a run this afternoon and the oil pressures are looking a bit suspect. Showing 1.8/2.0 bar oil pressure at hot idle, and 4.0/4.5 when just cruising along. Previously the pressure when driving has always been at least 5.5 bar, should I be worried? Bearing in mind the car had been given a hammering with lots of boost.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance :thumb:

madwrx 26 July 2017 08:50 PM

you,ll find as the oil gets dirty and the viscosity changes your oil pressure will be lower -the higher the oil temp the thinner it will get as well (and again lower oil pressure)

i often see half a bar difference between old and new oil-

scoobiepaul 26 July 2017 09:41 PM

Might be worth checking oil level, I had a lower than normal oil pressure reading when my oil level was on the lower mark on the dipstick. (2.5 but not fully forged) what pressure are you getting on cold start up? :thumb:

dazdavies 26 July 2017 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by streetshinedetail (Post 11955693)
Hi all,

Just wanted to double check something with you lot (and get opinions) on oil pressure. I know this has been asked a bit in the past with varied results. Took the car out for a run this afternoon and the oil pressures are looking a bit suspect. Showing 1.8/2.0 bar oil pressure at hot idle, and 4.0/4.5 when just cruising along. Previously the pressure when driving has always been at least 5.5 bar, should I be worried? Bearing in mind the car had been given a hammering with lots of boost.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance :thumb:

Sounds fairly normal to me. Mine is around that at 90 degrees. It's certainly within Subaru specs.

streetshinedetail 26 July 2017 11:39 PM

Nice one cheers guys,

pressure on cold start is generally around 6.0 bar. Oil level is all good and was only changed a few weeks ago (millers motorsport 10/50) only used on weekends so should still be pretty fresh.

thanks for putting my mind at rest!

streetshinedetail 27 July 2017 10:19 PM

Sorry to be a pain, but daz what does yours do when it's on boost? Should it rise a lot? Mine only rises about half a bar when fully in boost (so about 4.5) just don't want to smash this build to pieces!

AS Performance 29 July 2017 08:42 AM

those pressures seem low, first port of call would be to check the validity of your gauge

streetshinedetail 29 July 2017 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by AS Performance (Post 11956307)
those pressures seem low, first port of call would be to check the validity of your gauge

Thanks Alyn,

this is the original lamco gauges that came with the car. I've ordered a couple of prosport gauges, I know they're not as good as defi but surely more accurate than lamco. Seems like an odd issue overall, searching 22b, here and a couple of other places people's pressures seem all over the place. It's a struggle to know what to trust and believe!

dazdavies 30 July 2017 07:27 PM

This is straight from the Subaru PDF Workshop Manual I have.

http://www.scoob.co.uk/oilpressure.jpg

Mine sees 6bar cold idle.
Then at hot idle at 80 degrees I see roughly 2 bar and 4-4.5 bar when driving.
Mine has always been around this. It's dropped slightly but not much.
15,000k miles on a 600HP engine.

streetshinedetail 30 July 2017 09:05 PM

Daz that's great thanks. Mine sees 4/4.5 cold idle and hot driving. 2 hot idle. If yours has lasted that long I'm sure I'll be fine at 425/430!

dazdavies 30 July 2017 11:11 PM

What grade oil are you using?

streetshinedetail 31 July 2017 12:39 AM

10w/50 millers motorsport nanotechnology blah blah blah