ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Knackered external drive (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1048740-knackered-external-drive.html)

bioforger 26 July 2017 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by BlkKnight (Post 11955597)
Just keep the data in two places. Very unlikely that both will fail at the same time.

Glad you got it sorted

Unlikely but still possible, I had a large dataset for an important app stored in 2 places, on a hdd and on a ramstick, both failed on the same day, lost the important data, took me 2 weeks to recreate it from scratch.

An0n0m0us 26 July 2017 12:23 PM

I just use onedrive with 2 step verification for security. It's built into the Windows OS and extra storage is cheap. Everything I need is sync'd to there and accessible from anywhere with an internet connection. I also have it sync'd on all my devices so multiple local copies all kept in sync. You can redirect folders such as my documents etc to point to onedrive so very easy to keep tabs on files such as docs and photos and sync all in the same place on every device.

I gave up on external drives years ago as too unreliable/expensive/hassle to sync.

BlkKnight 26 July 2017 01:01 PM

What's the cost on 2tb+ onedrive circa £70 p/a?

bioforger 26 July 2017 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by BlkKnight (Post 11955675)
What's the cost on 2tb+ onedrive circa £70 p/a?

You get 5GB free. Mine has 115GB due to promotions and what not. Some of which will expire.

An0n0m0us 26 July 2017 03:04 PM

I've got 45gb free with Microsoft from having an old hotmail account getting more storage plus a couple of promotions that permanently upgraded my storage allowance. I ran out of that so pay £1.99 a month for another 50gb.

The 5TB option is £79.99 per year or can be purchased monthly at £7.99.

bioforger 26 July 2017 03:13 PM

Yea it gets a bit pricey when you want terabytes of storage ;)

David Lock 25 December 2017 04:47 PM

SUPPLEMENTARY QUESTION

OK my boy now bought a 2 TB LaCie drive which is designed for roughish treatment, called a Rugged Mini. £129.99 from John Lewis.

But when he plugs it in Properties says it is only 372 GB formatted as FAT32.

If he reformats it would that uprate it to 2 TB? I've told him to be careful as he may not be able to return it.

Trouble is he is flying out of UK on Wednesday which brings problems tryng to exchange it.

Advice on formatting please.

Happy Christmas btw

David

bioforger 25 December 2017 05:00 PM

Yes format it as NTFS, should be fine.

David Lock 25 December 2017 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 11985702)
Yes format it as NTFS, should be fine.

Thank you very much. Tried that BUT still reads as 372 GB. B,ugger it.

David

David Lock 25 December 2017 06:01 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...6898cbd4a1.png
See below - disc 1 seems to have partition??

Any thoughts?

David Lock 25 December 2017 06:10 PM

James has non deleted partition stuff and all seems to be well. So panic over I hope :thumb:

David

andy97 25 December 2017 06:44 PM

Having lost a PC hard drive recently, I decided to go with a Western digital NAS 4 hard drive backup server. It copied my laptop 'my documents' and any other folder I chose. I had raid 10 setup. I allows my family to access their own folders from their mobile devices whilst away from home and backs up their photos/videos from their phones. It has the protection of losing 2 hard drives and still be able to rebuild and continue working. Here is hoping!

Once im fully familiar with they way it works I will back up the NAS with another remote drive to double down on protection.

bioforger 25 December 2017 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 11985708)
James has non deleted partition stuff and all seems to be well. So panic over I hope :thumb:David

Yea he had the disc split into 2 partitions, you can see on the left Windows sees it as a 2TB drive (1863.02GB) all he had to do was reformat partition 1 as ntfs too (if he wanted to keep 2 partitions) that would have assigned a drive letter to it or delete one of the partitions, resize and reformat.

tarmac terror 26 December 2017 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11985710)
It has the protection of losing 2 hard drives and still be able to rebuild and continue working. Here is hoping!

Once im fully familiar with they way it works I will back up the NAS with another remote drive to double down on protection.

RAID 10 stripes data across two mirrored pairs in your case. If two disks in the same mirrored pair fail, all data on that pair is lost, there is no parity computed to rebuild from. The danger is when one drive fails, the rebuild process for the new drive, will work its mirrored drive hard for a long period of time, which is when it is most likely to fail.

Your planned approach is spot on, get another NAS and rsync between them or buy some cloud storage to backup the important stuff.