ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Advice on a noise..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1048729-advice-on-a-noise.html)

evil.soup 17 July 2017 08:52 PM

Advice on a noise.....

Hi,
I have a strange noise a little like the sound of a bike free wheeling. It isn't loud and can only really be heard when passing solid objects. It happens when moving in gear or neutral and wether the clutch is depressed or not. It doesn't change speed with gear changes, it just gets faster as the car goes faster. It seems to sound louder while cornering. Now I have a couple of ideas such as possible wheel bearings, maybe thrust bearing or something more sinister with the gearbox itself but I haven't experienced this before so it is all just guess work. Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated, and yes I will take it to a mechanic but like to have an idea of what i am talking about before i get there.

​​​​​​​cheers, Ian

360ste 17 July 2017 11:04 PM

Any chance of getting a recording of it??

evil.soup 17 July 2017 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by 360ste (Post 11953994)
Any chance of getting a recording of it??

​​​​​​​To be honest, I dont think it is loud enough to get an audio clip as yet, I only get the sound bouncing back off solid objects and then it isn't clear enough for something like a smart phone to pick it up. I will have a go but i have my doubts it will work yet.

albob 18 July 2017 09:46 PM

I had a similar noise last year. Turned out to be a stone trapped in the brakes...

jaygsi 19 July 2017 05:12 PM

I was about to say stone trapped in tyre.

evil.soup 19 July 2017 08:40 PM

I would cry with joy if it was just a stone!!

jaygsi 19 July 2017 09:51 PM

Check all your tread, sounds like stone to me or nail.

evil.soup 20 July 2017 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11954446)
Check all your tread, sounds like stone to me or nail.

​​​​​​​Recently had 2 new front tyres so it isn't tyre related unfortunately.

jaygsi 20 July 2017 10:28 AM

Have you checked them all? And did the noise come after having tyres done? I've had stones in Tyres before and sounds like what your describing.

evil.soup 20 July 2017 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11954516)
Have you checked them all? And did the noise come after having tyres done? I've had stones in Tyres before and sounds like what your describing.

I do have a couple of stones stuck in the new tyres, picked some out a few days ago, but the sound was before they were replaced so I am 100% certain that it's not that.

​​​​​​​Having read a couple of other threads I suspect centre diff bearings perhaps but still not sure. The car is booked in for an inspection but hate going into a mechanic without a reasonable idea of what the issue is.

pdis90 21 July 2017 08:57 PM

Mine was caliper seizing. Does your wheel turn freely when on a jack?

evil.soup 22 July 2017 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by pdis90 (Post 11954817)
Mine was caliper seizing. Does your wheel turn freely when on a jack?

No real symptoms or issues in this area as far as I can tell, no brake judder or noises when off brake and nothing raised in the recent MOT as an advisory.
​​​​​​​Still worth a check though thanks.