ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Was mathematics discovered or invented? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1048335-was-mathematics-discovered-or-invented.html)

An0n0m0us 27 June 2017 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11949665)
Cells didn’t “divide” until we had invented the concept of division. Sure they did something; first there was 1 cell, now there are 2. So is that “addition”? No, it’s something else.

Division needed to be invented as a concept before we could describe what the cells were doing. It’s not the action of division but the mathematical concept of division that was invented. Without it, we wouldn’t be able to describe what we observed. Without inventing the scientific principle for example, we wouldn’t be able to describe the world around us. It would still exist but we’d be describing it as “Gods” or “Magic” – both invented human constructs.

The basic mathematical constructs of numbers, addition, subtraction, multiplication & division had to be invented to observe & describe our world, before discoveries using those principles could be made. Had we invented different forms of observations & descriptions, then our discoveries would be different, even if the patterns in nature remained the same.

It's a +1 from me. Someone didn't just fall over a book one day with 12 x table in it ;)

TECHNOPUG 27 June 2017 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11949670)
We invented the name for them - yes I agree, but that's it.

Did we invent Physics and Chemistry too? Maybe colours and the weather?

We didn’t invent rocks or colours or weather, no, they are all physical entities.

Maths, Physics & Chemistry though are human constructs; they are not natural phenomena, they are concepts invented by human to describe natural phenomena.

Martin2005 27 June 2017 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11949677)
We didn’t invent rocks or colours or weather, no, they are all physical entities.

Maths, Physics & Chemistry though are human constructs; they are not natural phenomena, they are concepts invented by human to describe natural phenomena.

Ok. We invented away of describing discovered natural laws - I obviously agree with you on that.

Whether we gave them names or not though, the principles of multiplication, division etc would obviously still exist.

Paben 27 June 2017 05:17 PM

It's the seemingly rigid nature of physics and maths that has caused many very bright people to believe we and the universe are all just part of a giant simulation, a complex game in the computer of some super advanced intelligence. The non random nature of physics and maths are cited as proof of computer programming rather than natural evolution, putting the likelihood of simulation/non simulation as high as 50/50. On that basis we have simply 'discovered' the maths behind our existence. Maybe.

RAGGY DOO 27 June 2017 06:48 PM

Boring

Paben 27 June 2017 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11949708)
Boring

And now the intelligentsia contributes after careful consideration :lol1:

legb4rsk 27 June 2017 08:56 PM

Something about this thread dosen't add up.There are multiple answers & opinions are divided.

wrx300scooby 27 June 2017 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk (Post 11949743)
Something about this thread dosen't add up.There are multiple answers & opinions are divided.

:lol:

jonc 27 June 2017 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11949692)
It's the seemingly rigid nature of physics and maths that has caused many very bright people to believe we and the universe are all just part of a giant simulation, a complex game in the computer of some super advanced intelligence. The non random nature of physics and maths are cited as proof of computer programming rather than natural evolution, putting the likelihood of simulation/non simulation as high as 50/50. On that basis we have simply 'discovered' the maths behind our existence. Maybe.

Your starting to go off on a tangent there.....

Paben 27 June 2017 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11949756)
Your starting to go off on a tangent there.....

Just an alternate angle

JTaylor 27 June 2017 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11949757)
Just an alternate angle

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Steve001 28 June 2017 12:22 AM

David Lock 28 June 2017 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk (Post 11949743)

Yeah because it's a stupid question to start with...........

dl

dpb 28 June 2017 07:23 AM

Acutely aware that

Paben 28 June 2017 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11949770)
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Sines are that's true

ditchmyster 28 June 2017 08:23 AM

One of many examples of mans desire to label and attempt to control everything in the universe.

Divide and conquer.

The only reason 1+1 = 2 is because someone came up with the concept then told every body that it was so, it's called brain washing and is the basis of all education, to make sure we all think the same and ultimately do as we are told.

JTaylor 28 June 2017 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11949794)
One of many examples of mans desire to label and attempt to control everything in the universe.

Divide and conquer.

The only reason 1+1 = 2 is because someone came up with the concept then told every body that it was so, it's called brain washing and is the basis of all education, to make sure we all think the same and ultimately do as we are told.

You are joking, I assume.

dpb 28 June 2017 09:54 AM

Without 1+1 we would still be living off plant tubers

Good point :thumb:

Paben 28 June 2017 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11949799)

I wouldn't bank on it! :lol1:

Steve001 28 June 2017 02:34 PM

Divide and conquer.

Just goes to show how much of a 'Free Spirit' Dianne Abbott is, 1+1 never equals 2 in her world :D

Paben 28 June 2017 02:42 PM

Divide and conquer.

As a matter of interest, pre educational brain washing, what does 1+1 add up to on planet Ditchy? :wonder:

ditchmyster 28 June 2017 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11949799)

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11949819)
I wouldn't bank on it! :lol1:

And I wouldn't expect either of you perfect examples to even begin to understand... otherwise you wouldn't be perfect examples. ;)

jonc 28 June 2017 03:25 PM

Why don't you just try and humour them, I'm sure with your superior intellect you can explain it to them in layman's term.

andy97 28 June 2017 04:33 PM

My good lady studied pure mathematics at university. I even attended the odd lecture, even though I wasn't at university, fascinating listening(even though it was way over my head). Discussing proof of the existance of 'zero' I seem to remember and also mathematics in conjunction with astronomy which I managed to grasp, well some of the sentences made sense:lol1::wonder:

There were students who were fully dialled in and really understood their subject, they were asking difficult questions of the lecturers

JTaylor 29 June 2017 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11949863)
And I wouldn't expect either of you perfect examples to even begin to understand... otherwise you wouldn't be perfect examples. ;)

Well, if you could elucidate a little...

ditchmyster 29 June 2017 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11949966)
Well, if you could elucidate a little...

Well you believe in fairy tales and he thought he was going to be a super hero :lol1: ... need I say more.

ditchmyster 29 June 2017 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11949871)
Why don't you just try and humour them, I'm sure with your superior intellect you can explain it to them in layman's term.

Another example... you assume that I some how think i'm superior... when actually I don't... I just see things for what they are... not what someone tries to tell me they are... It's called independent thought... which is something that most have accepted their conditioning not to have... which again is called herd mentality.

I do my own thing... never been a follower. :thumb:

JTaylor 29 June 2017 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11949980)
Well you believe in fairy tales and he thought he was going to be a super hero :lol1: ... need I say more.

Ok, but if you could explain your objection to the language and numbering system please, Ditch.

Paben 29 June 2017 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11949980)

And this from the man who single handed has defeated entire companies of soldiers and who thinks 1+1 does not equal 2!

scoobypaul_temp 29 June 2017 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11949987)
Another example... you assume that I some how think i'm superior... when actually I don't... I just see things for what they are... not what someone tries to tell me they are... It's called independent thought... which is something that most have accepted their conditioning not to have... which again is called herd mentality.

I do my own thing... never been a follower. :thumb:

:luxhello::luxhello::luxhello::luxhello::luxhello: :luxhello:

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::l ol1::lol1::lol1: