ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Stolen my Porsche (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1048153-stolen-my-porsche.html)

JDM_Stig 27 June 2017 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11949546)
In the old days course you just take distributor arm home with you

Technically you still can, just pull the ECU fuse or fuel pump fuse, if you are so inclined.

:D

Rbon91 27 June 2017 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11949547)
Technically you still can, just pull the ECU fuse or fuel pump fuse, if you are so inclined.

I used to pull the Cam sensor on Scooby when parked outside at night

An0n0m0us 27 June 2017 03:20 PM

I saw the news story too on Thailand being the main destination of UK supercars at the moment as they drive on the left so our cars are perfect targets. The cars are broken down/stripped to make them easier to import then reassembled once in Thailand and put in showrooms around the country for the elite to buy.

Ding i'd hazard a guess you have been targeted away from home to trap your wireless signal from the key fob when you've gone to and from your car and they've then followed you home.

It's a gorgeous looking car and sorry to hear about it, when my 3 day old R1 was stolen it was bad enough so losing something this expensive/special destroys the dream.

BrownPantsRacing 27 June 2017 03:39 PM

I'd be prepared to bet they were using a cheap key range booster & transmitter which is why the 2nd guy was stood on your doorstep as already mentioned.

Shaun 27 June 2017 07:32 PM

That's a ****ter mate. :(

On the bright side this is what we pay insurance for though.

zip106 28 June 2017 05:52 PM

Just seen this mate - what a bunch of fckers
Hope the insurance payout is an easy pai free process for you.

When you talk about keyless, is this where you don't actually need to press anything on the fob?

I've just bought a new Vitara and Navara, both have buttons on the door handle which you press to open or lock the car, as long as you have the key fob in your pocket.

An0n0m0us 28 June 2017 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11949892)
I've just bought a new Vitara and Navara, both have buttons on the door handle which you press to open or lock the car, as long as you have the key fob in your pocket.

That's been on the Navara and Pathfinder (which is what I have) since 2005 when they came out. I am not a fan of it at all.

riiidaa 30 June 2017 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11949547)

but then you're at risk still of getting attacked in a bid to be made to start the car by violence

dpb 30 June 2017 02:39 AM

Wouldn't the ecu notice it was missing after you'd replace it ,as well ?

Cars, too complicated nowadays !

Goodness knows whether they'd rough you up for fuse

gazzawrx 02 July 2017 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 11949958)
That's been on the Navara and Pathfinder (which is what I have) since 2005 when they came out. I am not a fan of it at all.

Thats not a feature on my 2008 long way down navara:confused:

Its also not push button start.

Rob Day 03 July 2017 09:39 AM

Slightly different, and off subject attempt at a porshce theft:

BrownPantsRacing 03 July 2017 09:46 AM

That's one country I don't want to visit.

lozgti1 03 July 2017 06:13 PM

I know it's the wrong thing to say, and do......but I'd have run him over. Gun or not.lol

joz8968 03 July 2017 06:16 PM

The getaway driver failed...

He should have centered his car to the 911, so the perps' quarry couldn't reverse back out and escape.

dpb 03 July 2017 06:43 PM

I reckon youd have to plan every single journey in that thing , so don't have to stop for any robot haha

Paben 04 July 2017 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11950884)
I know it's the wrong thing to say, and do......but I'd have run him over. Gun or not.lol

Can't fault that logic!

An0n0m0us 04 July 2017 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11950712)

Perhaps not on the Navara then but had the push button door handle locks on my 2005 Pathfinder and on my 2012 Pathfinder. Neither were/are push button start but both were/are keyless start.

Scooby-doo97 29 July 2017 08:20 PM

Only come across this thread now. Gutted for you mate :( Any news?

byrnsie44 11 October 2017 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11950712)

your Navara has a much better security feature, the cab splits from the load bed:lol1:

ALi-B 12 October 2017 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by byrnsie44 (Post 11971317)
your Navara has a much better security feature, the cab splits from the load bed:lol1:

Handy feature for tipping out a load of gravel :lol1:

https://www.milneroffroad.com/blog/w...ust.jpg?x46358

'Bout time Nissan recalled these piles of junk before one causes an accident :mad: (currently only buying back cars post failure, and only after a assessment for any misuse/neglect).

Anyhoo Nissan's bonkers system that allows you to turn the ignition switch to start but without the key still has the same vulnerability as any other vehicle with keyless start.

Pretty certain it shares the same telemetry gubbins as the keycard Renaults that have keyless start.

lozgti1 14 October 2017 08:17 PM

Holy smoke!

gazzawrx 15 October 2017 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by byrnsie44 (Post 11971317)

:lol1: apparently its only the early ones that are splitting, 05 06 i think, tbh i dont mind if mine does split, nissan are paying decent money on them when they buy them back off you..

gazzawrx 15 October 2017 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11971389)
Handy feature for tipping out a load of gravel :lol1:

https://www.milneroffroad.com/blog/w...ust.jpg?x46358

'Bout time Nissan recalled these piles of junk before one causes an accident :mad: (currently only buying back cars post failure, and only after a assessment for any misuse/neglect).

Anyhoo Nissan's bonkers system that allows you to turn the ignition switch to start but without the key still has the same vulnerability as any other vehicle with keyless start.

Pretty certain it shares the same telemetry gubbins as the keycard Renaults that have keyless start.

Not quite, in the navaras its a conventional ignition arrangement, i know the system you mentioned is in the micras etc

dpb 17 October 2017 03:17 AM

https://boingboing.net/2017/10/16/sp...and-enter.html.!

Dingdongler 17 October 2017 10:39 AM

Unbelievable. This shoddy approach from the manufacturers and a police force who refuse to investigate car crime means that organised crime is having a field day

ALi-B 17 October 2017 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11972320)
Unbelievable. This shoddy approach from the manufacturers and a police force who refuse to investigate car crime means that organised crime is having a field day

On the contrary, Plod recovered a customer's car within days after it was stolen.

New BMWs like many modern "connected/internet enabled" cars come standard with tracking capability. This meant the car was tracked and found.

Doesn't mitigate the stupidity of these keyless entry/start systems, same as with coding new keys via OBD. And the equipment required to retransmit key signals is cheap as chips so this goes beyond organised crime to cover anyone with ill-intent.

Unfortunately thieves are wise to OEM tracking too; They disconnected the aerial connections on the Shark-fin aerial in aim to disable it, luckily the car still managed to get tracked.

That said it was only a 320d, so was probably nicked to be used as a mule or getaway ride, rather than steal to order/parts strip etc.