ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Normal unleaded fuel (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1048101-normal-unleaded-fuel.html)

nazzkhan 17 June 2017 09:17 PM

Normal unleaded fuel

Guys a quick question I put normal unleaded in my type ra 1996 version 3 I only put £10 in but I kind of put my foot down a bit and now the engine management light has come on and the car is spluttering too. Hope it's nothing major

Thanks Nazz

albob 17 June 2017 11:24 PM

wouldn't have thought it would make a big difference for such a little amount of 'normal'. Maybe fill the tank with what U normally use..?

nazzkhan 17 June 2017 11:42 PM

Thanks mate I just drove it home from my uncles house who lives 5 minutes away was smoking and it struggled to get up the hill thought it might be the fuel.

Thanks

**jay** 19 June 2017 07:27 AM

You put 93 ron in a car thats mapped for over 100 ron and now its smoking, sounds like its detted and most likely melted a piston crown

jaygsi 19 June 2017 08:28 AM

When I first owned by Wrx I put standard unleaded in, didn't know imports had to have a higher ron. As soon as I new it was shell high octane all the time. Saying that I've been at Asda before now and watched lads with pulsar's filling up on cheap rubbish. Even my turbo Vauxhall hates the cheap stuff, put some Tesco stuff in and ran rough.

JDM_Stig 19 June 2017 08:33 AM

read code and report back.

nortonscooby 19 June 2017 05:36 PM

Not having a pop at you but bit of a school boy error. If it was last resort and you drove off boost it would of been fine until you could of filled it with v power/tesco 99. But to give it some beans is just asking for trouble. Id expect a big repair bill if i was you.

nazzkhan 20 June 2017 10:20 PM

Thanks guys much appreciated and no mate its cool your not having a pop it was a stupid mistake but the high octane had run out so I thought just £10 would be okay but then like idiot I put my foot down.

Thanks guys

jaygsi 21 June 2017 01:25 AM

As said I ran my wrx a number of months on stand fuel, car ran fine. As soon as I found out it was high octane all the way. And I've seen many of lads run there's on cheap stuff. To be honest I wouldn't put any super market fuel in my scooby. It's rubbish stuff. I can put standard fuel in my Vauxhall and it's fine, as soon as I put super market stuff in runs poorly.

Originally Posted by nazzkhan
Thanks guys much appreciated and no mate its cool your not having a pop it was a stupid mistake but the high octane had run out so I thought just £10 would be okay but then like idiot I put my foot down.

Thanks guys

m40ttc 21 June 2017 04:12 PM

You'd have to be extremely unlucky to blow your engine up on less than 9 litres of 95ron when you must have had a few litres of super left in the tank. And you should have a knock sensor to stop pre detonation. But then again if you have been running it around regularly below 1/4 tank and putting your foot down you run the same risks.
Have you checked all pipes are still connected
What colour is the smoke
Hope it's something simple.

nazzkhan 22 June 2017 10:12 AM

Hi mate I put another £20 super unleaded in yesterday to see if that would help it's still the same all the pipes and stuff seem to be connected and it's black smoke coming out the exhaust not blue or anything. Any ideas

Thanks

JDM_Stig 22 June 2017 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by nazzkhan (Post 11947499)
Guys a quick question I put normal unleaded in my type ra 1996 version 3 I only put £10 in but I kind of put my foot down a bit and now the engine management light has come on and the car is spluttering too. Hope it's nothing major

Thanks Nazz

What was the code then ?

nazzkhan 22 June 2017 10:22 AM

I haven't put diagnostic machine on but I have the light come up on dashboard which says check engine

JDM_Stig 22 June 2017 10:28 AM

and what is that light for ?
To inform you of a issue, so read the code and we will be able to tell you what is wrong, rather then sticking more fuel in and driving if its got a issue lol lol

ossett2k2 22 June 2017 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by nazzkhan (Post 11948396)
I haven't put diagnostic machine on but I have the light come up on dashboard which says check engine

You don't need a diagnostic machine for a classic,use the self diagnostic plugs under the dash to read the fault code.

JDM_Stig 22 June 2017 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11948402)
You don't need a diagnostic machine for a classic,use the self diagnostic plugs under the dash to read the fault code.

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...gECUCodes#toc3
:thumb:

nazzkhan 22 June 2017 12:35 PM

Thanks dude I am going to try the manual code reading see if I come up with the fault code

Thanks guys

nazzkhan 22 June 2017 01:04 PM

I did put more fuel in but never drove the car just run it on my drive to see if it was just the normal unleaded that was the problem

nazzkhan 22 June 2017 01:13 PM

Pm

Hi guys can any of u guys pm me ur number so I can phone u I am in the car connected the 2 black plugs the light is flashing just don't know how to record the code lol

ossett2k2 22 June 2017 01:17 PM

You can't really go wrong,follow the instructions JDM Stig posted then read the code by counting the flashes,10 for long flash 1 for short flash(like morse code)
Then look up the code:
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...odeDefinitions

nazzkhan 22 June 2017 01:40 PM

Hey Ossett
Thanks mate I will try that