ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   "Big four" supermarket prices! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1047632-big-four-supermarket-prices.html)

alcazar 24 May 2017 10:37 AM

"Big four" supermarket prices!

Supposedly rolling back prices, every little helps, live life cheaper etc etc.

The reality is that their mark-ups are astounding.:eek:

Sainsburys, "L'Or" coffee by Carte Noire, £4 for 100g. No longer stocked in 200g jars.

Home Bargains, same stuff, (actually branded, not a knock-off), in a 200g jar, £4.49, that's almost 74% more if I buy from Sainsburys.:mad:

And the same stuff from Asda, Tesco and Morrisons? Same price, £4 for 100g.

Disgusting.:mad:

johned 24 May 2017 10:40 AM

Good prices at B&M and as you say Home Bargains.

Tidgy 24 May 2017 10:52 AM

Pays to shop around, find certain things are cheaper in certain shops

Martin2005 24 May 2017 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11942062)
Supposedly rolling back prices, every little helps, live life cheaper etc etc.

The reality is that their mark-ups are astounding.:eek:

Sainsburys, "L'Or" coffee by Carte Noire, £4 for 100g. No longer stocked in 200g jars.

Home Bargains, same stuff, (actually branded, not a knock-off), in a 200g jar, £4.49, that's almost 74% more if I buy from Sainsburys.:mad:

And the same stuff from Asda, Tesco and Morrisons? Same price, £4 for 100g.

Disgusting.:mad:

That's Brexit for you sweetie:)

TECHNOPUG 24 May 2017 11:09 AM

I think I'm more shocked that anyone would pay £4.49 for 200g of instant coffee....

dpb 24 May 2017 11:19 AM

British jobs for british workers , this is what you wanted

Matty81 24 May 2017 11:27 AM

need to point fingers at the big firms blaming it on "Brexit" still the same company bottling at the same location. Using Brexit as an excuse to con people.

Martin2005 24 May 2017 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 11942083)
need to point fingers at the big firms blaming it on "Brexit" still the same company bottling at the same location. Using Brexit as an excuse to con people.

How much coffee is grown in the UK?

Matty81 24 May 2017 11:33 AM

They've probably been using the same producer for years so no excuse in raising prices. Anyway we haven't even left the EU yet, still have another 2yrs.

Matty81 24 May 2017 11:35 AM

I pay £1.50 for sainsburys own brand coffee and still tastes the same as the more expensive coffees. Even came out the other day that Aldi's and kit Kat share the same recipe, so why is kit Kat costs more than aldi's own!!.

Martin2005 24 May 2017 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 11942086)
They've probably been using the same producer for years so no excuse in raising prices. Anyway we haven't even left the EU yet, still have another 2yrs.

Forex is the issue here, coffee is bought in Dollars, now what's happened to the exchange rate and therefore coffee futures (when converted into sterling), since the Brexit vote?

dpb 24 May 2017 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11942075)
I think I'm more shocked that anyone would pay £4.49 for 200g of instant coffee....

Chateau owning classes ..

Matty81 24 May 2017 11:54 AM

Dunno why people can't get on with enjoying their lives rather than worrying about a pot of coffee going up 20p. it's becoming an increasingly boring subject brexit.

Martin2005 24 May 2017 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 11942102)
Dunno why people can't get on with enjoying their lives rather than worrying about a pot of coffee going up 20p. it's becoming an increasingly boring subject brexit.

I think I just got whiplash from your sudden change of view.

So Brexit is boring if you don't like some of the consequences, but interesting if you do?

neil-h 24 May 2017 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 11942089)
I pay £1.50 for sainsburys own brand coffee and still tastes the same as the more expensive coffees. Even came out the other day that Aldi's and kit Kat share the same recipe, so why is kit Kat costs more than aldi's own!!.

I think you've got considerably bigger problems than price if you can't taste the difference between Sainsbury own brand insta-coffee and some of the more expesive brands (though most insta-coffee is mediocre at best).

Martin2005 24 May 2017 12:28 PM

I thought that this was an interesting thread - particularly as it was started by the moaner-in-chief, and especially as this is my area:)

Firstly Home Bargain don't sell L'or coffee (at least according to their website), the only coffee they stock is Nestle International 200g. Now maybe there was somehow some sort of local offer on this - but it's unlikely.

Secondly the 100g pack is currently on offer in Morrisons and Waitrose at around half price.

Thirdly, how can Alcazar possibly know what the supermarket's 'mark-up' is? Does he know the supplier and what their prices to the major supermarkets are?

Fourth, get used to increasing food prices. We're going to have 5%+ food inflation this year, due to the rise in global commodity prices, and a negative Forex situation.

It's never a good idea to compare prices between the majors and some of the discounters, as usually this kind of offer (if indeed it ever existed), is due to an excess of short dated stock that the majors won't touch, therefore it gets 'jobbed off' by the supplier to the discounters and sold super cheap.

ALi-B 24 May 2017 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11942084)
How much coffee is grown in the UK?

How much coffee is grown in the EU?

Maybe another trade agreement is required for Columbia's finest :lol1:

Martin2005 24 May 2017 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11942126)
How much coffee is grown in the EU?

Maybe another trade agreement is required for Columbia's finest :lol1:

non grown in the EU - what's your point?

ALi-B 24 May 2017 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11942128)
non grown in the EU - what's your point?

Mocking your point :D

Martin2005 24 May 2017 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11942136)
Mocking your point :D

Because?

JDM_Stig 24 May 2017 01:44 PM

https://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/
is a good way to compare prices, doesnt inc B&M.

Peedee 24 May 2017 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11942068)
Pays to shop around, find certain things are cheaper in certain shops

It does, but you could spend hours driving around getting different things from different shops, and the amount of time messing around / fuel costs etc, is it really worth it? It's not practicle either, I for one don't want (can't be arsed) to spend hours looking around for a jar of coffee because it's 40p cheaper somewhere else.

However, big shout out to Aldi and Lidl, and deffo B&M!

mrtheedge2u2 24 May 2017 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11942090)
Forex is the issue here, coffee is bought in Dollars, now what's happened to the exchange rate and therefore coffee futures (when converted into sterling), since the Brexit vote?

Martin, you know the rules! You are not allowed to use economic rationale to justify market forces. It gets in the way of a good rant of someone who can afford a place in another country but moans at the price of a cup of coffee

David Lock 24 May 2017 02:17 PM

I buy Italian Coffee Beans from Asda, £1.52 per 100g

PS. Asda also have some excellent French Red Wines at less than a fiver. Stay clear of the Australian stuff. And Bells at £15 or £16 a litre.

dl

nortonscooby 24 May 2017 06:53 PM

Had some nice coffee from b&m this week and also yorkshire tea bags on offer in morrisons £4 for 240bags and the only tea bags we buy. Only time i have my pants pulled down is if i buy from the spar shop over the road.

JDM_Stig 24 May 2017 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by nortonscooby (Post 11942218)
Had some nice coffee from b&m this week and also yorkshire tea bags on offer in morrisons £4 for 240bags and the only tea bags we buy. Only time i have my pants pulled down is if i buy from the spar shop over the road.

Weird thing is I live in a village and the local shop is the best for Milk, eggs and Warburton Cobs, always fresher and cheaper then the local Supermarkets.

madscoob 24 May 2017 10:43 PM

i love the way they test the inteligence of customers on a daily basis heres a classis
SPECIAL OFFER PERSIL DISHWASHER TABS 100 FOR £20
RIGHT NEXT TO THEM ON THE SAME SHELF A BOX OF THE SAME TABS 40 FOR
£6 how thick do they think people are

Martin2005 24 May 2017 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by madscoob (Post 11942301)
i love the way they test the inteligence of customers on a daily basis heres a classis
SPECIAL OFFER PERSIL DISHWASHER TABS 100 FOR £20
RIGHT NEXT TO THEM ON THE SAME SHELF A BOX OF THE SAME TABS 40 FOR
£6 how thick do they think people are

That just means the smaller pack was on promotion. Why is that so hard to understand?

madscoob 24 May 2017 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11942309)
That just means the smaller pack was on promotion. Why is that so hard to understand?

OMFG read what i typed properly the box of 100 was on promotion/special offer at £20 the pack of 40 is almost always £6 week in week out

ditchmyster 25 May 2017 02:56 AM

There's a large proportion of people that don't check prices against quantity and weight... supermarkets just take advantage of their stupidity/ can't be ar$ed / inability to do the math.

I always shop around partly because some of the things I like aren't all in the same store... but mostly because supermarkets will rob you out of a small fortune if you don't "shop smart" simple things like Walkers crisps £1 pack of 6 in a local discount shop, almost double that everywhere else, also get tins and sauces there too at a fraction of the prices in the main stores, have a bit of a scout round and there's always named brands going cheap, all this date bollocks really makes me laugh especially on tinned goods which will be fine for literally decades... as long as the tin isn't damaged and it's not been subjected to extreme heat.

Discount shopping and asking for a discount for cash and bartering has saved me a small fortune over the years. ;)

Oh and instant coffee is rubbish, why anyone drinks the stuff is beyond me... especially these days with some really nice coffee available pre ground packed and labeled with the various hints & flavours like wine.