ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Holiday suggestions? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1047484-holiday-suggestions.html)

stiscooby 19 May 2017 12:47 AM

Holiday suggestions?

Me and the other half are looking to sort a two week holiday around late August/September/October time of this year.

We initially looked at Canada (never been before) but can't decide if we should do an organised tour holiday or a self drive, just don't want to be on a coach with a bus of old people for two weeks spending time in some places we have no real interest in (we are 37 & 38) but on the other hand doing a self drive we will be spending a lot of time driving and might also miss going certain places if we don't research well enough before hand.

We have then looked at some other ideas and came up with Vietnam (went to Thailand a few years ago and enjoyed that) as that's somewhere 'different' to go.

​​​​However, we now can't seem to make our minds up and actually make a decision and get something sorted.

So, there must be a few people on here who have at least been to Canada and might be able to help in or decision making (we were looking to go to the West side of Canada).

Or, if anyone might also be able to throw some other ideas on the table?

Thanks
​​​​

David Lock 19 May 2017 01:19 AM

South Africa, Cape Town area. Southern Africa is a stunning place and the Cape is still fairly safe.

Enjoy the area and go to Cape Point where the two oceans meet. Then drive up the East coast and back through the Drakensburg mountains. Visit a game park before all those gorgeous creatures are gone.

Stop off at the Seychelles on your way home.

Memories of a trip to Africa will live with you for ever I promise you.

David

TECHNOPUG 19 May 2017 11:28 AM

Too early for Cape Town, better weather in the new year.

dpb 19 May 2017 01:18 PM

Be spring time ..probably more dependable than ours

Dr Hu 19 May 2017 04:49 PM

Costa Rica - best holiday for years - tour around - if you like nature/wildlife/rainforest its the ticket!

albob 19 May 2017 05:46 PM

or Mexico for the same....

David Lock 19 May 2017 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11940795)
Too early for Cape Town, better weather in the new year.

Weather in Cape Town in October. The average maximum daytime temperature in Cape Town in October is a comfortable 20°C (68°F). There are usually 9 hours of bright sunshine each day, which represents 67% of the 13 hours of daylight. The average sea temperature in and around Cape Town in October is 15°C (59°F).

I'd be happy with that :thumb:

David

Matty81 19 May 2017 07:39 PM

Did Hong Kong and Bali and loved it. Done it with Kuoni and they was fantastic.

b16jonc 19 May 2017 08:13 PM

Cancan is pretty nice that time of year

RAGGY DOO 19 May 2017 08:20 PM

Pop up to Rhyl job done

hedgecutter 19 May 2017 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11940940)
Pop up to Rhyl job done

good one!

stiscooby 19 May 2017 08:45 PM

We wouldn't mind doing South Africa (have always fancied doing a safari etc) but not so sure we would really feel that safe/relaxed there?

Have been to Mexico before, so probably wouldn't look to go back there as yet, we like to try somewhere new each holiday.

Costa Rica - hhmmm, thats not somewhere we have thought about so might put that on the list of places to look in to.

hedgecutter 19 May 2017 08:49 PM

Costa Rica has got it all, surf, beaches, volcanoes, rain forest....

dpb 19 May 2017 08:52 PM

Go to Hwange Zimbabwe then , youll be perfectly safe there - and they'll be very grateful for your dollars.

You can take in Vic falls same trip

Either way for safari , you would go through joburg

tarmac terror 19 May 2017 08:57 PM

Cambodia is supposed to be an awesome place to visit, hope to take the family there when the kids are a bit older.

Sri Lanka has came highly recommended by some friends who travel there from Australia for their holidays.

Sabah Province in Borneo, been there, awesome place, but April - June is the best time to visit.

This year it is southern Italy and lots of road miles for us.

stiscooby 19 May 2017 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 11940921)
Did Hong Kong and Bali and loved it. Done it with Kuoni and they was fantastic.

Would have no problems using Kuoni, we used them for our Thailand holiday and found them very good too. Each trip we went on with them was just me, the other half and the Kuoni guide/rep, they seem to provide a nice personal experience and couldn't do enough for you.

Forgot to mention, neither of us are the sort of people who just want to sit on a beach or around a pool for two weeks either, we would get bored. We don't mind a bit here and there to break the days/week up a bit but not for the full holiday.

stiscooby 01 July 2017 06:29 PM

Just thought I would give an update as you were all kind enough to pass on some ideas...... after changing our minds on various places and after spending about 2 hours with the travel agent this morning :rolleyes: we are looking to go to South Africa now (while looking at various places this came up and we quite fancy the idea of a safari) :thumb:

Just got to confirm on Monday after checking with work about getting time off but all being well that should be fine. Looking to go to 'Shamwari' a private game reserve for 4 nights where we get 2 game drives a day (the agent has also been there and it does sound superb) and then move on for 5 nights in the Cape Town area.

Not the cheapest of holidays, actually this will be our most expensive yet lol, but does sound like a great experience and hey, you only live once right!?!? :D

Peedee 01 July 2017 07:09 PM

Ive been to Canada a couple of times, thoroughly recommend it. It's stunningly beautiful. Banff in particular!

dpb 01 July 2017 07:19 PM

Shamwari means friend in Shona :thumb: , girlfriends dialect . Along with Ndebele

doubt there's that many shona in eastern cape

stevebt 01 July 2017 07:35 PM

If your thinking about Canada why not do Boston in America for a few days then drive up to niagra falls and then into Canada for the remainder of your holiday. Canada isn't that far away from Boston ;)

David Lock 01 July 2017 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by stiscooby (Post 11950480)
Just thought I would give an update as you were all kind enough to pass on some ideas...... after changing our minds on various places and after spending about 2 hours with the travel agent this morning :rolleyes: we are looking to go to South Africa now (while looking at various places this came up and we quite fancy the idea of a safari) :thumb:

Just got to confirm on Monday after checking with work about getting time off but all being well that should be fine. Looking to go to 'Shamwari' a private game reserve for 4 nights where we get 2 game drives a day (the agent has also been there and it does sound superb) and then move on for 5 nights in the Cape Town area.

Not the cheapest of holidays, actually this will be our most expensive yet lol, but does sound like a great experience and hey, you only live once right!?!? :D

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

You will love it. David

JTaylor 01 July 2017 08:12 PM

Great choice on your holiday. Have stayed in Cape Town and have been to Pilanesberg game reserve. The latter provided me with one of the most numinous experiences of my life and made such an impression as to change me; was simply blown away by the beauty. Bon voyage!

dpb 01 July 2017 08:27 PM

Havnt been that sort safari ...sounds pricey

we made do with 2 day , 1 night under canvas guided tour ( Chobe national park )

I think we saw most what was available to see from land and water plus laid on braii that night and following morning.

200 quid well worth it .

Had to wonder how much the river side lodges were charging punters

dpb 01 July 2017 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11950512)
Great choice on your holiday. Have stayed in Cape Town and have been to Pilanesberg game reserve. The latter provided me with one of the most numinous experiences of my life and made such an impression as to change me; was simply blown away by the beauty. Bon voyage!

As in escaping reality ?

JTaylor 01 July 2017 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11950519)
As in escaping reality ?

No. Witnessing a reality unsullied by fallen man.

dpb 01 July 2017 10:12 PM

Ok.
It's a pretty contrived situation as far as I can see

stiscooby 01 July 2017 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11950499)
Shamwari means friend in Shona :thumb: , girlfriends dialect . Along with Ndebele

doubt there's that many shona in eastern cape

ok, I'll take your word for it, lol 😁

it's a way off yet but if I remember after we get back I'll update the post with what we thought of it :thumb:

dpb 01 July 2017 11:25 PM

Have good one .

Not been Cape apparently very green , Only been Gauteng / limpopo, almost got to Kruger