ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Death of Diesel long live Hybrid & EV (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1047448-death-of-diesel-long-live-hybrid-and-ev.html)

andy97 17 May 2017 11:22 AM

Death of Diesel long live Hybrid & EV

After a first service of my XC 90 hybrid, the school run of 25miles returned a decent 102.8mpg. This is up from 90mpg before update.

My local runs I never use any petrol and run solely on electric.

I've just pre ordered a Jag ipace EV. To replace the Euro 5 Honda crv

dpb 17 May 2017 11:57 AM

if only ev vehicles wont so expensive , for the common man ! :)

andy97 17 May 2017 12:14 PM

Nissan leaf is a very capable small commuter vehicle and now the Tesla 3 coming out in a few months.

dpb 17 May 2017 12:24 PM

Super efficient regenerative petrol design is whats need imo

is there even enough nickel in the world otherwise ?

andy97 17 May 2017 12:28 PM

Battery resources are probably in limited supply. Ideally hydrogen fuel cell is the best long term proposal. Unlimited hydrogen, only H2O as by product, the tech bods just need to find an effective efficient way to crack it from others elements

Tidgy 17 May 2017 01:19 PM

cheap, untill you need new batterys then you better bring your own lube lol

Tidgy 17 May 2017 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11940344)
Battery resources are probably in limited supply. Ideally hydrogen fuel cell is the best long term proposal. Unlimited hydrogen, only H2O as by product, the tech bods just need to find an effective efficient way to crack it from others elements

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/...#.tnw_sKAfbkC8

Seen it mentioned for a few years now, seems to be some sceptasism about if its true or not though.

legb4rsk 17 May 2017 08:18 PM

You have to take in the whole cost of build & life of the product & the entire energy chain.Unless you have your own fusion reactor.;)

urban 18 May 2017 06:32 PM

Na, fcuk that - tree hugger vehicles :D

E63 5.5 biturbo FTW

dpb 18 May 2017 07:30 PM

With bull bars for petulant cyclists ?

urban 18 May 2017 08:06 PM

Of course not. They get all the room they need

ALi-B 19 May 2017 08:11 AM

Think they need to stop these hybrid buses from catching fire before they'll replace diesel and they still use Diesel engines anyway :lol1:

New York City has phased them out due to the long term running costs being too high.

JackClark 19 May 2017 08:45 AM

NYC was a pleasure to ride a bike around as it didn't stink of diesel. Hopefully we can do the same with London.

I'm thinking all electric next year.

dpb 19 May 2017 09:17 AM

1500 dirtier cites than London around the world

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...er-cities.html

andy97 19 May 2017 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11940769)
NYC was a pleasure to ride a bike around as it didn't stink of diesel. Hopefully we can do the same with London.

I'm thinking all electric next year.

If you go up one of the towers in NY, you would see the pollution all over Manhattan. Look south out to the ocean and it's much clearer. Zero emission vehicles have to be used. Sod the cost to run. Pollution has to get under control. Either ban vehicle usage or use zero emission vehicles.

London and all cities and towns have to do this

neil-h 19 May 2017 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11940687)
Na, fcuk that - tree hugger vehicles :D

E63 5.5 biturbo FTW

Nah, the Tesla model S P100D would anhilate it in a straight line :thumb:

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11940778)
If you go up one of the towers in NY, you would see the pollution all over Manhattan. Look south out to the ocean and it's much clearer. Zero emission vehicles have to be used. Sod the cost to run. Pollution has to get under control. Either ban vehicle usage or use zero emission vehicles.

Agreed, the single biggest perk of EV's is they move the emissions from the point of use. What's the age old saying about not ****ting in your own back yard...

johned 19 May 2017 11:29 AM

Give me the roar of a V8 petrol engine any day.

urban 19 May 2017 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11940793)
Nah, the Tesla model S P100D would anhilate it in a straight line :thumb:

Agreed, but its its substantially more expensive, and sounds like a scalextric toy.
Several hours charge time before you can drive it.

No thanks, I'll stick with the V8

andy97 19 May 2017 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11940800)
Agreed, but its its substantially more expensive, and sounds like a scalextric toy.

All privately owned vehicles spend more than 90% of their entire existence sat still. Charging once a week over night is not of any concern.

I too have a rare V8. I use it for special outings

neil-h 19 May 2017 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11940800)

Ok, the cheaper 90D will match the Merc without having to pay £1.28 a litre for fuel. And lets be honest, the internal combustion engine is getting a little antiquated these days.

urban 19 May 2017 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11940805)
All privately owned vehicles spend more than 90% of their entire existence sat still. Charging once a week over night is not of any concern.

I too have a rare V8. I use it for special outings

I'll assume you're right, sounds plausible anyway.
Range is the problem if you require a longish journey, when using a more "normal" electric car, and not the Tesla model quoted here.
I'll assume that will get better with time.

What V8 do you have.

urban 19 May 2017 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11940807)
Ok, the cheaper 90D will match the Merc without having to pay £1.28 a litre for fuel. And lets be honest, the internal combustion engine is getting a little antiquated these days.

OK, fair enough

Don't know what price you pay for fuel, but premium fuel isn't that price here, and I'd be surprised if its that price on the UK mainland.

Anyway, horses for courses and all that.
I know people that drive the most ugliest of cars (Nissan cube and Citroen cactus for example driven by two neighbours), and they say "it gets me from A to B", yes, I'm sure it does, but WTF made you purchase that in the first place.

Electric cars - if you want to drive about in one, thinking you're "saving" the planet, then work away :)

andy97 19 May 2017 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11940810)
I'll assume you're right, sounds plausible anyway.
Range is the problem if you require a longish journey, when using a more "normal" electric car, and not the Tesla model quoted here.
I'll assume that will get better with time.

What V8 do you have.

The majority of vehicle movements are less than 30 miles, so a Nissan Leaf is more than able to cope with commuting. 90% of car journey have one occupant.

Ford F150 Raptor 6.2 petrol.

dpb 19 May 2017 12:54 PM

quite fancy black cactus myself

urban 19 May 2017 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11940817)
quite fancy black cactus myself

You need to catch yourself on :nono:

neil-h 19 May 2017 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11940812)
OK, fair enough

Don't know what price you pay for fuel, but premium fuel isn't that price here, and I'd be surprised if its that price on the UK mainland.

Anyway, horses for courses and all that.
I know people that drive the most ugliest of cars (Nissan cube and Citroen cactus for example driven by two neighbours), and they say "it gets me from A to B", yes, I'm sure it does, but WTF made you purchase that in the first place.

Electric cars - if you want to drive about in one, thinking you're "saving" the planet, then work away :)

Just had a quick google and the going rate for "premium" fuel is currently £1.25 a litre.

As for "saving the planet", you've got to be pretty daft to think EVs are saving the plant.

urban 19 May 2017 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11940829)
Just had a quick google and the going rate for "premium" fuel is currently £1.25 a litre.

As for "saving the planet", you've got to be pretty daft to think EVs are saving the plant.

At least we agree on one thing.
I purchased super unleaded during the week from Sainsburys, @ 1.15, anyway, 1.15/1.25 - feck all different in the great scheme of things.

neil-h 19 May 2017 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11940831)
At least we agree on one thing.
I super unleaded during the week from Sainsburys, @ 1.15, anyway, 1.15/1.25 - feck all different in the great scheme of things.

Alright for some :lol1:

JackClark 19 May 2017 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11940829)

Saving Oil.

JackClark 19 May 2017 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11940778)

For sure, but get rid of diesels first, they stink like fags.