ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   "Compact" mobile phonres? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1047119-compact-mobile-phonres.html)

alcazar 04 May 2017 11:07 AM

"Compact" mobile phonres?

Two years ago I got myself an Experia Z3 compact.

I like the compact dimensions, and it was the same phone as the standard sized Experia Z3...same processor, o/s, camera, memory, and waterproofing.

Now, Sony (and others) are describing their standard sized phones as "compact".

And their real compact is dumbed down remarkably.:mad:

I might just be on the verge of going to an iPhone5 simply for it's size, except that it's now old technology.:(

samsung also dumb down their smaller phones and I'm unimpressed.:(

Or I could go SIM only until something decent turns up.

What is it with folk wanting to carry almost tablet-sized phones? What of those of us who don't have handbags, and don't wear suit jackets, so our phones are generally in our jeans pockets?

LostUser 04 May 2017 12:03 PM

The iPhone SE is the latest(ish) technology but in the same dimensions as the iPhone 5. Might be worth a look

dpb 04 May 2017 01:06 PM

i think the older iphones are the reliable ones

Skoobie Dhu 04 May 2017 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11937393)
Two years ago I got myself an Experia Z3 compact.

I like the compact dimensions, and it was the same phone as the standard sized Experia Z3...same processor, o/s, camera, memory, and waterproofing.

Now, Sony (and others) are describing their standard sized phones as "compact".

And their real compact is dumbed down remarkably.:mad:

I might just be on the verge of going to an iPhone5 simply for it's size, except that it's now old technology.:(

samsung also dumb down their smaller phones and I'm unimpressed.:(

Or I could go SIM only until something decent turns up.

What is it with folk wanting to carry almost tablet-sized phones? What of those of us who don't have handbags, and don't wear suit jackets, so our phones are generally in our jeans pockets?

Lol, I carry my Xiaomi mi max in my jeans pocket - 6.44" screen. Just need to be careful when sitting down.
With my eyesight even a 5" screen is a struggle.

boggissimo 04 May 2017 01:52 PM

I had an Xperia Z3 compact too, until a month or so ago, and I had the same trouble trying to find a similarly small but reasonably powerful phone.

None of the networks/suppliers were offering a smaller handset with a reasonable deal over 24 months, so in the end I got fed up and bought a sim-free Wileyfox Swift 2X (~£220), which is a bit bigger but still not a phablet, and a sim-only contract with idmobile for £5 a month. Over 2 years that will work out at £340 (about £14 a month), which is less than I was paying for my Z3 compact on the cheapest monthly fee from EE.

lozgti1 04 May 2017 07:52 PM

Quite like my Samsung A3 ! Actually fits in my suit pocket or jeans without being obtrusive. V slim.

Can't think of anything I am missing out on from my iphone days

alcazar 08 May 2017 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu (Post 11937416)
Lol, I carry my Xiaomi mi max in my jeans pocket - 6.44" screen. Just need to be careful when sitting down.
With my eyesight even a 5" screen is a struggle.

I'm only a compact guy myself, so sitting down with anything other than a small phone in my pocket would be a disaster.

I think I may go SIM-only on a rolling contract until someone releases something I like. My Z3 is still fine, in almost perfect nick.