ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   5 speed dccd refurb (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/1046289-5-speed-dccd-refurb.html)

Worlasshasansti 27 March 2017 07:08 PM

5 speed dccd refurb

Just wondering if it's a more involving job refurbing a 5 speed dccd box over a normal 5 speed box?

I know all the usual places to ring once I have the money together.

My type r has started crunching into 4th at high rpm so suspect it will need the synchros sorting.....

On a side note what is it with Subaru gearboxes? I must have had 20 cars over the years and out of all of those cars 3 have been Subaru's and all 3 have needed gearbox work one of them twice :lol1: :lol1:

Mick

Tidgy 28 March 2017 08:40 AM

What mods has it got, is it standard? (as in the car) typically gearbox's go cos of the driver, missing a gear is the favorite one that shock lads it and ends up with the teeth failing either at the time or a bit later.

Not to mention subarus don't tend to get an easy life haha

ditchmyster 28 March 2017 01:04 PM

Usually driving style, Subaru boxes don't like engine braking, so don't load the box when coming down the gears.

I have had 4 Subaru's and never broken a gearbox on one... I have however broken one Ford box, one Peugeot box and a Nissan box, I was a young lad and it came as no surprise... the Ford one in particular. :lol1:

Must say Audi boxes are strong, I gave the one in my Audi GT death for 4yrs and it never skipped a beat, the whole car was fantastic actually, owned between the ages of 19 and 23, I don't know how it survived. :lol1:

Tidgy 28 March 2017 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11929116)
Usually driving style, Subaru boxes don't like engine braking, so don't load the box when coming down the gears.

I have had 4 Subaru's and never broken a gearbox on one... I have however broken one Ford box, one Peugeot box and a Nissan box, I was a young lad and it came as no surprise... the Ford one in particular. :lol1:

Must say Audi boxes are strong, I gave the one in my Audi GT death for 4yrs and it never skipped a beat, the whole car was fantastic actually, owned between the ages of 19 and 23, I don't know how it survived. :lol1:

not driving the scoob properly obviously you pussy,,,, :lol1::lol1::lol1:

Worlasshasansti 28 March 2017 07:13 PM

Hahaha all points noted!

To be honest my previous 3 gearbox issues were inherited from previous owners lol

My type r is pretty much standard certainly not over 330bhp suppose it is 19 years old, no point stopping throwing a fortune at it now I suppose!

Tidgy 28 March 2017 07:19 PM

Synchro's do wear, the 5th gear synchro in my old one wore out.

Shame its not 5th gear, thats an easy one

Worlasshasansti 28 March 2017 07:38 PM

Would have been ideal as I could have done that myself and stuck a UK 5th in while I was at it!

Mick

Tidgy 28 March 2017 07:42 PM

haha, i just went down the 6 speed route