ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   A Modified car will kill you (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1046192-a-modified-car-will-kill-you.html)

JDM_Stig 22 March 2017 02:15 PM

A Modified car will kill you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-39350942

Modifications to a car led to the deaths of Thomas Putt, 20, and Nikki Willis, 23, from carbon monoxide poisoning, an inquest has heard.
The carbon monoxide levels produced by Mr Putt's car were 1,000 times higher than a factory standard vehicle.
Exhaust fumes had leaked under the bonnet because of the modifications, which included vents being cut into the bonnet and the catalytic converter being removed.
The pair from Chelmsford, who were not a couple, had been sitting in the vehicle with the engine running just before Christmas.
It was described as a "unique" set of circumstances.
Police have released footage of tests on the car, showing how the fumes leaked into the interior.
The inquest recorded a verdict of accidental deaths.

dpb 22 March 2017 02:29 PM

So chuck some vents in the bonnet ( looks professionally done ) and remove the cat ?

must be more to it ..

Have to say iv nearly always got window open a crack at least , even mid winter - just habit I think

ALi-B 22 March 2017 02:32 PM

Heard that headline on the radio yesterday and thought wtf!? Then after it went into detail it became pretty obvious that it was a ned who bodged his car rather than modified it and it's clear there was also an engine fault.

The fact it stated it was producing 1000 times more CO (carbon monoxide) would suggest the car wasn't running properly, no doubt far too rich, which is usually caused by air getting into the exhaust upstream of the oxygen sensor. It's also a modern car which usually also have a post catalyst oxygen sensor as well, this can also affect fuel trim on some cars (although I don't think it does on Fords) .

This coupled with a exhaust leak and additional bonnet vents allowing engine compartment fumes to be sucked into the heater intake gives the perfect situation to gas yourself. If you ever look at the scuttle/heater intake on a car you'll note a rubber or foam gaskets between the bulkhead and bonnet; It isn't there just to stop water, its also to stop fumes getting into the heater intake.

Of course I'm stating the obvious but Ned was stupid enough not to know this and it seems the coroner over simplified his conclusions.

Tidgy 22 March 2017 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11927711)
Heard that headline on the radio yesterday and thought wtf!? Then after it went into detail it became pretty obvious that it was a ned who bodged his car rather than modified it and it's clear there was also an engine fault.

The fact it stated it was producing 1000 times more CO (carbon monoxide) would suggest the car wasn't running properly, no doubt far too rich, which is usually caused by air getting into the exhaust upstream of the oxygen sensor. It's also a modern car which usually also have a post catalyst oxygen sensor as well, this can also affect fuel trim on some cars (although I don't think it does on Fords) .

This coupled with a exhaust leak and additional bonnet vents allowing engine compartment fumes to be sucked into the heater intake gives the perfect situation to gas yourself. If you ever look at the scuttle/heater intake on a car you'll note a rubber or foam gaskets between the bulkhead and bonnet; It isn't there just to stop water, its also to stop fumes getting into the heater intake.

Of course I'm stating the obvious but Ned was stupid enough not to know this and it seems the coroner over simplified his conclusions.

not to mention they was sat in the car outside a house with the engine running rather than go in.

tony de wonderful 22 March 2017 04:31 PM

If it was running that rich it must have been running like garbage, but then I think just normal fumes can kill u?

pimmo2000 23 March 2017 08:33 AM

Wouldn't the garage have a duty of care?

JDM_Stig 23 March 2017 08:36 AM

Wonder when it was MOT`d and where, if it has a bodged exhaust etc.

BlkKnight 23 March 2017 09:51 AM

Definitely should have the word "badly" at the front of the headline

markjmd 23 March 2017 02:44 PM

From what I could make out in the video, the CO levels they measured in the car were around the 200 or 300 ppm mark, which is only a few hundred lower than the reading I got when I tested the new kitchen CO detector by placing it directly behind the exhaust of my old scoob. It saddens to me say it, but Darwin award to both of the deceased for not noticing the inside of the car absolutely reeked of ehaust (which it must have done).

matt-c 23 March 2017 02:53 PM

lesson to learn for those of us running highly modified, bung a carbon monoxide detector in the car, they are only cheap.

dpb 23 March 2017 03:00 PM

Mybe they were too 'busy' at the time..

legb4rsk 23 March 2017 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by matt-c (Post 11928002)
lesson to learn for those of us running highly modified, bung a carbon monoxide detector in the car, they are only cheap.

That's a very good idea!:thumb:
Maybe it would go off in the city due to the background level of pollution.

tony de wonderful 23 March 2017 07:07 PM

Wouldn't it have been loud as hell with a massive manifold leak?

neil-h 23 March 2017 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by matt-c (Post 11928002)

Or more pertinently if you're going to make modifications to the exhaust system, do it properly or leave it to someone that will.

pimmo2000 24 March 2017 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11928005)
Mybe they were too 'busy' at the time..

Good shout, explains why he didn't notice anything else

neil-h 24 March 2017 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11928138)

Imagine being the first on scene to something like that, would be hysterical :lol1:

ALi-B 24 March 2017 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11928138)

That, or the car is filled with Jelly Belly and Californian scents air fresheners :lol1:

Rusti 24 March 2017 06:25 PM

That headline is hilarious, I am surprised it didn't start with 'Hoodlum street racer'