ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Martin McGuiness dead! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1046176-martin-mcguiness-dead.html)

steve05wrx 21 March 2017 07:30 AM

Martin McGuiness dead!

Good riddance!

RAGGY DOO 21 March 2017 07:48 AM

RIP to an Irish hero

steve05wrx 21 March 2017 07:59 AM

IRA scum, more like!

EddScott 21 March 2017 08:10 AM

Personally, a difficult one.

It goes without saying he was involved in terrorist activity in the 70s and 80s but in later life he appeared committed to the peace process.

I never really understood the arguments of occupation, I was too young to fully grasp it at the time. I asked a Southern Irish work colleague once why don't we just leave them to it and he said if the British left the Protestants would go out and kill all the Catholics.

That's all I got out of him.

steve05wrx 21 March 2017 08:14 AM

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.
People like Martin McGuiness will always divide opinion.

Peedee 21 March 2017 08:20 AM

Today is a good day! :thumb:

joz8968 21 March 2017 09:15 AM

What with all the politicians on telly this morning giving their opinion, I can't help but be reminded of this...

dpb 21 March 2017 09:57 AM

That didn't take long :wonder:

stilover 21 March 2017 10:01 AM

Wall to wall coverage on the BBC this morning. You'd think the Queen had died.

In-depth reporting? No. Just reporting the same story to the point of boredom.

The man willing killed innocent people. Just a shame he didn't die in prison.

urban 21 March 2017 10:08 AM

That's the media for you though, something new which involves death

JDM_Stig 21 March 2017 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11927457)
That's the media for you though, something new which involves death

being fair it has been a slow year so far for them death wise, well compared to 2016.

domino46 21 March 2017 10:37 AM

kill a couple of people and they put you in prison , kill hundreds an terrorise a nation and they give you a seat in parliament

urban 21 March 2017 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 11927465)
kill a couple of people and they put you in prison , kill hundreds an terrorise a nation and they give you a seat in parliament

Bit more to it than that.
To be fair to him, he played an enormous part in the peace process, together with his arch enemy Ian Paisley.

steve05wrx 21 March 2017 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11927476)
To be fair to him, he played an enormous part in the peace process, together with his arch enemy Ian Paisley.

Not forgetting the catalyst - Mo Mowlem - she used to have them both in stitches by removing her wig whilst they were arguing across the table.
She would disarm their hatred with her wit and wisdom.

TECHNOPUG 21 March 2017 12:16 PM

Wouldn't need a peace process if he wasn't murdering people.

urban 21 March 2017 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11927479)

Can't blame him for all the trouble, in the nicest possible way, that's a bit of a daft thing to say in the first place.

TECHNOPUG 21 March 2017 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11927495)
Can't blame him for all the trouble, in the nicest possible way, that's a bit of a daft thing to say in the first place.

Can I blame him for all the murders & carnage that he was involved in though?

domino46 21 March 2017 02:45 PM

And he also played a massive part in blowing a lot of people's innocent family's up , he should of died in prison in my view rather than him leading a very comfy life based on terrorist acts that he organised

Bump his body in the water like they did with bin ladan as they are cut From the same cloth

alcazar 21 March 2017 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11927479)

because the loyalists never killed anyone?

urban 21 March 2017 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11927499)
Can I blame him for all the murders & carnage that he was involved in though?

yeah - absolutely.

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11927509)
because the loyalists never killed anyone?

Exactly my point, you can't pin everything on one person or one side.

1509joe 21 March 2017 03:43 PM

Think you all need to look into the whole situation in depth and then decide who casts the first stone.

urban 21 March 2017 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 11927518)
Think you all need to look into the whole situation in depth and then decide who casts the first stone.

Mate I grew up with this stuff, I've witnessed the dark times and the good times.
Yes, he's done some god awful things in the past, but he also helped pave the way for the good times.

joz8968 21 March 2017 04:00 PM

''Ness-a-guin ness-a-guin...ness-a-guin-ness. A guiness. A Guiness!''

1509joe 21 March 2017 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11927520)
Mate I grew up with this stuff, I've witnessed the dark times and the good times.
Yes, he's done some god awful things in the past, but he also helped pave the way for the good times.

Is 100% right and we all know which side did the most killing. People always jump to uneducated conclusions due to lack of knowledge. As was said before look into the whole situation before jumping to conclusions.

dpb 21 March 2017 07:47 PM

Is that photo being bandied about on news , him with Carlos the Jackal ? ( who's also popped up recently )

I wouldn't put mcguiness in the same league freedom fighter as a mandela eg

JTaylor 22 March 2017 11:48 AM

https://audioboom.com/posts/5730760-...source=twitter

The Trooper 1815 22 March 2017 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 11927438)
Personally, a difficult one.

It goes without saying he was involved in terrorist activity in the 70s and 80s but in later life he appeared committed to the peace process.

I never really understood the arguments of occupation, I was too young to fully grasp it at the time. I asked a Southern Irish work colleague once why don't we just leave them to it and he said if the British left the Protestants would go out and kill all the Catholics.

That's all I got out of him.

Whilst he appeared to be a "new" statesman he never expressed remorse for his activities.

At least he died slowly and in pain. He was about to be found out, exposed by the British Intelligence services and took to politics to gain his exception from prosecution, more a coward who ran away than faced up to his actions.

steve05wrx 22 March 2017 01:13 PM

Hi,
In today's Daily Mail they have an article about various IRA bombings in NI and the mainland.
Picture 4 features the Guildford pub bombings from 1974.
The fireman pictured is my father - he was the first fireman into the Horse and Groom, after they were called out.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...inflicted.html

Dark days!
Cheers
Steve

Martin2005 22 March 2017 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11927676)
Whilst he appeared to be a "new" statesman he never expressed remorse for his activities.

At least he died slowly and in pain. He was about to be found out, exposed by the British Intelligence services and took to politics to gain his exception from prosecution, more a coward who ran away than faced up to his actions.

Exposed as what?

ditchmyster 22 March 2017 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11927687)
Exposed as what?

A bloke fighting to free his country from oppression, but you're asking a serving member of the British Army / pawn in "The Great Game" so don't expect him to be able to see things from BOTH sides.

I'm not an IRA sympathiser.. by the way... but I can see why they did what they did in the face of enemy occupation.

I don't understand why people STILL fail to understand... go to someone elses country with a load of soldiers with guns and then expect them not to fight back, and when they do... label THEM the bad guys :cuckoo: AND people just suck that $h!t up and believe it... seriously beggers belief. :freak3: