ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Nice car, crap tyres...... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1045904-nice-car-crap-tyres.html)

alcazar 09 March 2017 11:51 AM

Nice car, crap tyres......

Why???

Just been to look at a second hand Golf R, locally, 13k, 15 plate.

Nice, but the front tyres have been changed for some unknown tyres, Lassa or something, and the rears are down to the wear bars.

Why would they do that?? On a car capable of 155 mph.:cuckoo:

neil-h 09 March 2017 11:54 AM

Probably just the dealer making it road legal as cheap as possible.

alcazar 09 March 2017 11:56 AM

That's what I thought, but the salesman said they'd "never do that"...;)

bustaMOVEs 09 March 2017 12:00 PM

Pcp or lease car handed back in, so previous owner replaced with least money possible knowing they are handing it back

wrx300scooby 09 March 2017 12:07 PM

Reminds me of the time I went with my father to look at a one year old Corsa he was thinking of buying. Only 8K on the clock but all four tyres were different brands and well worn. I told him to walk away which fortunately he did.

ZANY 09 March 2017 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby (Post 11924929)
Reminds me of the time I went with my father to look at a one year old Corsa he was thinking of buying. Only 8K on the clock but all four tyres were different brands and well worn. I told him to walk away which fortunately he did.

+1 it's the first thing I look at aswell but surprisingly not many check

neil-h 09 March 2017 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11924922)
That's what I thought, but the salesman said they'd "never do that"...;)

You've got to love car salesman haven't you. I had one try to convince me that they couldn't knock any money off the price beause the new girl had made a mistake and advertised it as the ex VAT priice, so i was already getting a good deal. Only problem being the difference between what there 'job card' (so fresh the ink was still wet) said and what it was advertised as didn't equate to the value of the VAT 'missing'.

bustaMOVEs 09 March 2017 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11924932)
+1 it's the first thing I look at aswell but surprisingly not many check

Tells the history alone just by tyres.

ALi-B 09 March 2017 01:15 PM

Had that with my Golf R32; Main dealer (Listers). Saw the advert and looked at the full size photos which had pics of all four wheels and I could clearly see they were all Michelins.

When I went to see the car, they mysteriously changed to Kumhos. Brand new, but I'd rather have worn Michelins over enduring 10,000+ miles on a set of Kumhos.

Salesman's face was a treat when I dropped the bomb on him (said the car was perfect which got pound signs in his eyes, then I said apart from some stupid muppet has put on budget tyres on a 160mph car when the ad showed it had the OEM Michelins :D ).

Needless to say they were swapped for Pirellis, not my first choice as I prefer Michelin, but an acceptable compromise.

The Trooper 1815 09 March 2017 01:26 PM

It's a bit like many adverts for "no expense spared", "my pride and joy" and "only the best parts used" for Subaru's on here and various Social Media sites.

Stupid!

bustaMOVEs 09 March 2017 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11924948)
It's a bit like many adverts for "no expense spared", "my pride and joy" and "only the best parts used" for Subaru's on here and various Social Media sites.

Stupid!

or massive spec.
Then you look through the spec list and find loads of gypsy parts.

ALi-B 09 March 2017 01:38 PM

Stupid!

Just reminded me, we have a stereotypical STi blob in the workshop, I'll have a look what tyres are on it after lunch (My money is on Toyos as from a quick glance it seems to have all the usual forum recommended mods on it ;) ).

Edit I was wrong ; Michelin PS3s all round. Thumbs up from me :cool:

urban 09 March 2017 01:56 PM

Mechanic I know says that the garage he works in put all sort of cheap shyte tyres on the cars they sell.
Apparently the salesmen have this policy "so long as they're black and round"

dpb 09 March 2017 02:10 PM

Youre not allowed to do 155 , even in France

Especially your advancing years !

tony de wonderful 09 March 2017 02:49 PM

I hate buying cars. Always get the feeling I've been stiffed.

Estate agents, car salesmen, recruitment consultants. They all have a special place in hell.

dpb 09 March 2017 03:08 PM

You forgot politicians

ZANY 09 March 2017 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11924943)
Tells the history alone just by tyres.

+1

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11924945)
Had that with my Golf R32; Main dealer (Listers). Saw the advert and looked at the full size photos which had pics of all four wheels and I could clearly see they were all Michelins.

When I went to see the car, they mysteriously changed to Kumhos. Brand new, but I'd rather have worn Michelins over enduring 10,000+ miles on a set of Kumhos.

Salesman's face was a treat when I dropped the bomb on him (said the car was perfect which got pound signs in his eyes, then I said apart from some stupid muppet has put on budget tyres on a 160mph car when the ad showed it had the OEM Michelins :D ).

Needless to say they were swapped for Pirellis, not my first choice as I prefer Michelin, but an acceptable compromise.

:cool: like

Stupid!

+1 That seems a perfect description for my scoob :D

legb4rsk 09 March 2017 07:21 PM

A couple of months ago I went with my daughter to a Mazda main dealer to look at a 3 year old car.I think it had 18,000 miles on the clock.The car was in very good condition with very little signs of wear & tear.However, every single wheel was very badly kerbed & alloy corroded & peeling.It looked like they had been through a few rally gravel stages & obviously not original!!

When confronted the dealer denied everything.Needless to say we walked away.

Not to tar all Mazda dealers with the same brush we found another dealer who had the car she wanted,did a great deal & was a top geezer.

scoobyboy1 09 March 2017 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11924926)
Pcp or lease car handed back in, so previous owner replaced with least money possible knowing they are handing it back

They are strict that the car must come with the same tyres as the manufacturer recommends otherwise you get charged a set of tyres on hand back!!!

andy97 10 March 2017 08:11 AM

Why are you even thinking of a VW?

Until they compensate owners and pay for a clean up boycott their products, includes Audi,Skoda,Seat etc

alcazar 10 March 2017 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11924959)
Youre not allowed to do 155 , even in France

Especially your advancing years !

LOL, I rarely speed now, might stray over a limit occasionally, but am usually very careful not to. As for speeding in France, never. Just not worth it. Their cops are 200% more sneaky even than ours. And you pay on the spot...quite a lot if you are acting daft.:(

alcazar 10 March 2017 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11925105)
Why are you even thinking of a VW?

Until they compensate owners and pay for a clean up boycott their products, includes Audi,Skoda,Seat etc

Not SERIOUS about anything yet, but Mrs Alcazar coming up to retirement, so she said to start looking.

It's difficult to make salesmen have any enthusiasm once they know you aren't going to buy that day, plus my usual appearance of jeans and a top doesn't give them loads of confidence, LOL

Still, there were a few who made that same mistake when I bought the Scoob...ordered in January, delivered in September, which was the earliest they could do.

Looking at Focus RS, Golf R, Audi S3 for a few, but living in sticksville, :( the first problem is that we only have a VW dealer from that list, nearest Audi is 25 miles, nearest RS Ford is the same, but different direction.:rolleyes:

And now Mrs Alcazar says she might like to start caravaning again...so those three are out straight away:(

Dacia Duster anyone? Kia Sportage? LOL :cry: :cry: :cry:

john banks 10 March 2017 01:53 PM

I wondered about one of these coming off lease. Are there bargains to be had as so many were leased?

scoobyboy1 10 March 2017 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 11925172)
I wondered about one of these coming off lease. Are there bargains to be had as so many were leased?

Just try and pick one up at the British Car Auctions as this is where most get sent maybe get one a lot cheaper, I think Motorpoint and other car supermarkets are buying a lot of the Golf R lease cars that have gone back, not sure if its straight from auction or they have a deal with VW!!!

My mates Golf R got sent to auction last week when it got sent back VW had nothing to do with it, even the inspector come out and was from the auctions and then on pick up 2 young lads turned up and said that they where taking it to the auction tomorrow morning, can kind of guess how it was going to be driven before it made it to its destination!!!:idea: