ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Rear Metal Brake pipe replacement (Not Flexi) (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1045861-rear-metal-brake-pipe-replacement-not-flexi.html)

Broxi 06 March 2017 08:50 PM

Rear Metal Brake pipe replacement (Not Flexi)

Hi all,

Has anyone replaced the rear metal brake pipes that connect to the flexi and go back over the rear sub-frame, and appear to go over the top of the fuel tank?

Been asked to do this for a friend, who's car has failed it's MOT as the are severely corroded. but it looks like the whole rear suspension and tank needs dropping?

Anyone advise on what actually needs to be done?

Thanks
Derek

Shane 07 March 2017 11:59 AM

Is this on a classic? We just re-routed the one to the nearside rather than dropping the tank etc when we did mine. There is a small junction block on the off side at the rear, mine had corroded going into and out of this, the one that goes into it goes up into the car and under the rear seat, cut the pipes at this point and rejoin as the pipe runs the full length of the car inside.

Hope this makes sense.

Shane

Broxi 07 March 2017 01:39 PM

yes a Classic.

so if i understand right, one pipe comes out the drivers side, goes into a splitter then goes off to each wheel?

Can you get to the splitter and pipe on the drivers side easy enough or do you need to take anything apart?

Shane 10 March 2017 07:26 PM

Sorry, forgot to reply. It's two pipes running through the car that drop down under the rear seat. They go into a metal block that the two pipes that lead to each wheell connect to, it's just something to join the two bits of break line together.

lordharding 10 March 2017 09:42 PM

Think Subaru does the replacement pipes £150 ish
which are clip in and replace the old models
I've had all mine replaced as mot advisory was showing corrosion and one burst at brake test for MOT

Finbin 30 March 2017 01:51 PM

Just had the same on mine 99 classic, failed MOT on the same thing. Looks like the fuel tank has to be removed to replace them, did you do the work yourself lordharding? Shane did you only replace the O/S one? What size pipe is it?

mickywrx 30 March 2017 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Finbin (Post 11929663)
Looks like the fuel tank has to be removed to replace them, did you do the work yourself lordharding?

:lol1: Lordy do the work himself, pull the other one, it's got bells on. :lol1: :D

If you want to keep it OEM, and therefore a ballache in future, you need to drop the tank.

You don't need to drop the tank to replace the brake pipes though. They can be re-routed, by any competant mechanic who has the tools to do the job.

Shane 30 March 2017 09:13 PM

Did both of mine, OSR is a lot easier as doesn't go near the tank. Mine were done by a friend, £90 and we fitted new braided flexis on the rear at the same time.

lordharding 31 March 2017 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do the work myself :D
I can fill up with petrol and that's about it :D

That's what my team of master craftsman are there for

Attachment 25646

topman2180 04 April 2017 08:06 PM

Anyone know of any garages that can reroute pipes in Berkshire area?

Shane 04 April 2017 09:00 PM

Any competent garage should be able to do it.

madscoob 06 April 2017 11:23 PM

doing mine at the moment drivers side easy passengers side tomorrow and it looks a bitch of a job but i may be wrong

Smithys STI 06 April 2017 11:35 PM

Bought an old legacy as a run about with corroded/burst rear brake pipes....I cut them under the rear seat flared the ends and re routed new pipes to the rear.
Took me 3 hours to do the whole job

madscoob 05 May 2017 11:36 PM

all done replaced the fuel filler neck as well mot tomoz first fail in 23 years :thumb: