ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   No stopping power ???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/1045373-no-stopping-power.html)

fleety69 13 February 2017 10:14 PM

No stopping power ????

Hi guys. I've got a 2005 wrx with a few mods, decat, filter, fuel pump and a remap. The brakes have never been amazing. So I changed the discs and pads for some uprated ones. But still the stopping power wasn't really any better. When you stamp on the pedal the breaking isn't aggressive at all. It still comes to a slow stop as if there isn't enough force applied to the discs. So I refurbished the callipers. Replaced the servo and master cylinder and still no better. Anyone got any ideas ??? Could there be something else that I'm missing ???

Any help or opinions would be great as I'm a bit lost now

Cheers

sti-chris 13 February 2017 10:27 PM

think the WRX standard breaks are poor anyway's , upgrade to STi ones will prove to be much better.

ossett2k2 13 February 2017 10:47 PM

Yup wrx brake aren't the best.
What updated brake discs&pads did you go for?

stonejedi 14 February 2017 06:21 AM

I know first hand how poor the Subaru four pot calipers can be on the heavier newage models...,its not always about the clamping force though Godspeed do a big brake conversion that works well with the Subaru four pots:http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/cont...ake-conversion ,but as above what uprated disc and pads did you go for?As the size of your uprated disc and compound of your pad can still have a negative effect on your brake setup if a wrong choice had been made,did you also do the brake lines and use a quality fluid?.SJ.

JDM_Stig 14 February 2017 08:43 AM

I take it you're still running the almost 12 year old rubber hoses on the brakes ?

alcazar 14 February 2017 11:26 AM

Brake upgrade, talk to Ian at Godspeed.

But do beware of what brakes will, and will not, fit under WRX wheels.

fleety69 14 February 2017 03:46 PM

Cheers for the input guys. Off the top of my head I cannot remember the make of pAds an discs with check my bod of recipets. I changed the fluid for dot 5 or 6 fluid. I know it wasn't the dot 4. I've not done the rubber hoses. That's will be next on my list. As it never even occurred to me (oops). My brother has the same car as me an his brakes are amazing in comparison to mine. So I k ow mine has a fault somewhere. So I'll change the rubber hoses and see what that does over the weekend 👍🏻

On-the-bog 14 February 2017 04:07 PM

just sack em off and put a decent set of AP's on it.

stonejedi 14 February 2017 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by fleety69 (Post 11919352)
Cheers for the input guys. Off the top of my head I cannot remember the make of pAds an discs with check my bod of recipets. I changed the fluid for dot 5 or 6 fluid. I know it wasn't the dot 4. I've not done the rubber hoses. That's will be next on my list. As it never even occurred to me (oops). My brother has the same car as me an his brakes are amazing in comparison to mine. So I k ow mine has a fault somewhere. So I'll change the rubber hoses and see what that does over the weekend 👍🏻

Nothing wrong with Dot 4 it's what I use,performance friction rh665 dot 4 racing brake fluid is quality.My advice to you is try to remember what parts you use on your car when modding it or it defeats the object of modding your car with quality parts.SJ.

ossett2k2 14 February 2017 04:29 PM

Decent pads and discs at your power level should be ok,f you bought cheap ones then they won't be,you should also bed them in correctly as not using a bedding in procedure won't help either. Also agree changing the old rubber hoses will help,all these things can be the difference between poor and good braking.

RAGGY DOO 14 February 2017 05:34 PM

Its a poverty specd wrx need spending on the brakes bud

fleety69 14 February 2017 06:22 PM

cheers for the input fellas. I'm gonna swop the rubber hoses this weekend and if that's still no better I'll change the discs and pads. Unless I can find a set of sti brakes that I can refurb for the right price in the mean time. Has anyone got an perticular set of discs and pads they would recommend for the WRX ?

bustaMOVEs 14 February 2017 06:27 PM

Even if you had excellent pads in the wrx caliper you would still see a huge benefit, my guess is poor pads and ultimately that is what will provide the initial bite.
But once you get some heat into the caliper, that's where it will more or less fail and be dangerous when pressing on, the 335 Godspeed kit is no better in my experience when you put some heat into the calipers.
Best bet is to change for some brembos or similar. (Also check what wheels you have for brembo clearance).

Matty81 15 February 2017 04:00 PM

Just buy a set of front brembos of the breakers on scoobynet. I got front calipers discs and pads for £480, and the brakes have been brilliant since.

On-the-bog 15 February 2017 04:14 PM

they wont go under the wrx wheels without spacers

stonejedi 15 February 2017 04:59 PM

As Busta said above the Subaru four pots were barely good enough for the Classic impreza so was always going to struggle with the lardy arsed newage models.The Gold Brembo STI calipers are a very good upgrade but require the right offset wheels to fit,17" inch or above so can work out expensive if you have to budget for wheels as well,but as you have not specified what wheels are fitted to your car already i.e... O.E or aftermarket wheels,the Brembo upgrade would be the way to go if funds was available, it's what my wife upgraded her Classic Subaru to....

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...7110b31ff2.jpg

.SJ.

Matty81 15 February 2017 05:33 PM

Spot on stonejedi. If they fit over whatever wheels you have, your have a more than capable sti brake setup on your wrx for a minimal spend in my opinion.

Gear Head 16 February 2017 07:30 AM

It is possible that one or more of the pistons have seized, reducing the clamping pressure. In fact I'd put money on it. WRX calipers are renowned for this.