ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   £60k, not yummy mummy car (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1045291-60k-not-yummy-mummy-car.html)

zip106 09 February 2017 08:35 PM

£60k, not yummy mummy car

Looking to sort a new vehicle for the Mrs.
Currently has an M3 (and I really don't like it)

Since 1999, she's had 5 BMW's including an Alpina and I really want her to have a change.
Looked at the Macan GTS, C43 AMG, M3/4 have also figured, but in her words she doesn't want to look like the typical yummy mummy (cos she isn't ..)

Forget Audi of any kind, because...well I don't know but they're very 'it' around here and she's says too 'samey' - I see her point.
Don't really need a 4x4 as we have a very old Forester for the bad stuff, but I really think the Macan is a bloody brilliant car, but again around here they're driven by clueless blonde hints.

Says she wants something that people wouldn't expect her to drive (??) hence not a Q3, X3 etc..

Prefer 5 seats but 4 could suffice - no two seaters, we still have the Exige to cover that.

I'm really at a loss as to what to look for - although we're going to look at the Giulia Qudrofoglioliooo tomorrow, but I'm scared of the potential bumming I'll take in 3 years time on trade in.

Awkward, much.

jonnyricer2 09 February 2017 09:40 PM

Jag xfr rs??

Lexus

zip106 09 February 2017 09:42 PM

How big is the Jag?
3 series size?

Lexus....she's not *that* old :)

Dingdongler 09 February 2017 10:28 PM

I'd still say Macan, you can't be put off a car by the monied bell ends who also own one.

I'm interested that you say that you really don't like the M3, why? I must admit I've thought they were crap ever since I drove the V8 version (and bought the c63 amg instead)

ditchmyster 09 February 2017 10:41 PM

I think we need some pictures of your wife before we can decide what car would suit her. :D

zip106 09 February 2017 10:51 PM

Ding - not just the bell ends, but she wants something, in her words, 'different'
I'm beyond flummoxed.
I really think the Macan GTS is the one to have, especially in Carmine red with GTS interior.
Problem is she sees the bimbos around here driving them, although they all seem to be black basic models.

Ditchy - no pics I'm afraid, but if you can imagine a 35 year old Olivia Newton John, in those tight leather jeans....

Unfortunately shes not there when I get home :lol1:

My issue with the M3 - the ride is ****ing diabolical no matter what mode it's in.
We live out in the sticks, so all country B roads and it really doesn't inspire confidence when pushing on.
It's unwieldy, can't put its power down on the slightest moist tarmac, and I just find it a bit zzzzzz now.

I suppose I'm a bit spoilt with the razor sharp Lotus - the M3 is a bloody big sledge hammer in comparison.

Fine for her, and that's a problem because she really likes it - don't really see many women driving them either, and not your obvious 'mum' mobile.

elgassi 09 February 2017 10:58 PM

Not a typical 'Yummy Mummy' car :nono:

^good shout Ditchy, maybe a nice bike for a fast lady? :lol:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...e3a5cc5798.jpg
for the lady who's not ''samey'' but would be a truly 'Yummy Mummy'

Or the car :luxhello:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...h-2013/6756966

ditchmyster 09 February 2017 11:02 PM

Worth a try. :lol1:

zip106 09 February 2017 11:17 PM

GTR - that's a bloody behemoth.
She's only 5' 2"...

And we need back seats - got two kids to get in it, and they're not small either.

elgassi 10 February 2017 12:19 AM

Aha so size is a problem now, you never mentioned that in dispatches
I think you should give the little lady a bit of freedom here and let her pick her own car

dpb 10 February 2017 01:27 AM

Bentley continental ?

JGlanzaV 10 February 2017 07:20 AM

Porsche macaw as said.

Or I'd be after an AMG personally...

zip106 10 February 2017 07:46 AM

C63 coupe would be nice, but out of price range for a new one.
And, she doesn't like the stuck on iPad inside :rolleyes:

zip106 10 February 2017 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by elgassi (Post 11918104)
Aha so size is a problem now, you never mentioned that in dispatches
I think you should give the little lady a bit of freedom here and let her pick her own car

If I did that, there'd be another bloody M3 on the drive.

I drive it now and then and I'm sick to death of BMW.

I've configured an Audi S5 on line - haven't a clue what the new ones drive like, but it looks quite decent.
Convincing her is another matter, but these cars really need to be seen in the metal.

Surprised there's no option for an RS4 anymore.

Just found the Jaguar XE-S
Bit of a curve ball, and optioned up comes in well under budget.
Again, haven't a clue what they're like...

http://rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/e...exterior.html@

ditchmyster 10 February 2017 07:55 AM

I love Mercs but I wouldn't buy a new one as the values tend to fall quite drastically compared to Audi and BMW... good for 2nd hand buyers but not so good when you lose £20k in 2/3yrs that's a lot of money to me... unless you go down the lease / PCP route.... tbh I'd never buy a new car outright anyway... as Hodgy would say... "never put a large amount of CASH into a depreciating asset". ;)

scoobyboy1 10 February 2017 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11918134)
I love Mercs but I wouldn't buy a new one as the values tend to fall quite drastically compared to Audi and BMW... good for 2nd hand buyers but not so good when you lose £20k in 2/3yrs that's a lot of money to me... unless you go down the lease / PCP route.... tbh I'd never buy a new car outright anyway... as Hodgy would say... "never put a large amount of CASH into a depreciating asset". ;)

Audi's seem to depreciate quite bad too, I looked at a Audi S3 the other day that was 1 year old and done 5k miles and it had lost £6k from its original price brand new!!:eek:

I think the only way to avoid heavy deprecation is to buy something rare/ltd edition car, personally if you dont want to lose money and you dont mind the looks then a mk3 Focus RS is a decent car looking at previous models prices they have never really lost much money on the used market from there original new price, but not sure if the OP would want to jump from a new M3 to a Focus RS as its a big step down!!:thumb:

steve05wrx 10 February 2017 03:20 PM

GLC43?

jonc 10 February 2017 03:40 PM

Tesla Model S - definitely not "yummy mummy"/WAG type car.

Dingdongler 10 February 2017 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1 (Post 11918221)
Audi's seem to depreciate quite bad too, I looked at a Audi S3 the other day that was 1 year old and done 5k miles and it had lost £6k from its original price brand new!!:eek:

I think the only way to avoid heavy deprecation is to buy something rare/ltd edition car, personally if you dont want to lose money and you dont mind the looks then a mk3 Focus RS is a decent car looking at previous models prices they have never really lost much money on the used market from there original new price, but not sure if the OP would want to jump from a new M3 to a Focus RS as its a big step down!!:thumb:

£6k down after a year on a 'performance' car is bloody good if you ask me

zip106 10 February 2017 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by steve05wrx (Post 11918265)
GLC43?

Looked at one today.

Nice in a nice way, but big and, erm, just nice.

Went to see the Alfa - test drive in a few weeks, but she rather liked it.
And the noise..... **** me, the noise :lol1: my inner child was released when they started it up.

Think it's a bit of a left field choice, and may suit her.

Wrt the Focus RS - I had a MK1 many moons ago, and she just called me a chav :lol1: so I really don't think it's for her.

tarmac terror 10 February 2017 09:07 PM

Panamera?
Lexus RC-F?
V60 Polestar?
C63?

Uncle Creepy 10 February 2017 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11918090)
GTR - that's a bloody behemoth.
She's only 5' 2"...

And we need back seats - got two kids to get in it, and they're not small either.

In that case, put the two kids in the front, one of them can drive, and the missus can go in the back. Easy - problem solved! You're very welcome! :D

Wayneo 10 February 2017 10:08 PM

How about a Subaru?

lozgti1 10 February 2017 10:12 PM

I've got a bit tired of the standard fayre offered up.I like being a bit different too.

I'd always discard anything what I think has become the most boring 3 car makers.

New Alfa stunning .Who cares about residuals.It is amazing.

4x4, I quite like the Infiniti QX ,slated or not. Don't forget Toyota went that way with lexus (though never been a lexus fan.lol)

elgassi 10 February 2017 10:15 PM

Nothing Yummy Mummy or samey about this - awesome car
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C813361

Dingdongler 10 February 2017 11:08 PM

Audi RS3?

bustaMOVEs 11 February 2017 12:10 AM

Mecan gets my vote due to your requirements and restrictions, they look kind of cute for the mummy's

zip106 11 February 2017 12:32 AM

Think the RS3 may be a bit small in the back.
And from the pics, it looks like it's going to be afflicted with that God awful silver plastic tack everywhere.

Macan a no go - went to see one today and she just finds it boring and plain, and almost too 'default' for a mum.

Looks like Alfa and M3 are in the lead.
She's seen a pic of a Ferrari red M3 and seems to have fallen for it, if indeed she has another. (I'm hoping Alfa - we need a change and I really despise my local BMW dealer with a passion)

ditchmyster 11 February 2017 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11918368)
I've got a bit tired of the standard fayre offered up.I like being a bit different too.

I'd always discard anything what I think has become the most boring 3 car makers.

New Alfa stunning .Who cares about residuals.It is amazing.

4x4, I quite like the Infiniti QX ,slated or not. Don't forget Toyota went that way with lexus (though never been a lexus fan.lol)

Got to say I agree, top 3 M,B,A all German all very 'Samey' and have been for some considerable time, which was why my last company car was a Volvo V50, but even that was a Focus in a fancy frock... all this Platform sharing and brand identity doesn't help either.

I like the Infinity QX and was going to suggest it earlier... but it's probably a bit of a step down from the M3... Don't knock Lexus too much... I had an IS200 and it was way better than the reviews would suggest... went like a rocket across Germany well above a ton for long periods... no skipping around like the Audis and BMW's I often encountered... it just sat down and went and held it's line effortlessly... and when you fancied a bit of fun it was easy to get the back out... not going to break any lap records and a tad thristy at 140mph :lol1: but as an all-round package it was one of the best cars I've been in... and remember I worked in the trade for over 20yrs.

Dingdongler 11 February 2017 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11918405)
Think the RS3 may be a bit small in the back.
And from the pics, it looks like it's going to be afflicted with that God awful silver plastic tack everywhere.

Macan a no go - went to see one today and she just finds it boring and plain, and almost too 'default' for a mum.

Looks like Alfa and M3 are in the lead.
She's seen a pic of a Ferrari red M3 and seems to have fallen for it, if indeed she has another. (I'm hoping Alfa - we need a change and I really despise my local BMW dealer with a passion)

I know what you mean by the Macan being a bit samey for mums, along with Range Rovers and Cayennes etc.

They just look a tad fresher as there's less of them about (for now) than the usual prestige SUVs.

Looks like its a M3 then. How about the C63 amg? Sounds a lot better than a M3