ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Cam timing on remap? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1045203-cam-timing-on-remap.html)

RS_Matt 06 February 2017 07:45 PM

Cam timing on remap?

Wife had her TDI mapped last month, she took it back last week for a backbox fitting and they told her the cam timing was out, she told them it shouldn't be as they remapped it a few weeks back. They had it in today to rectify it.

Just wondered is cam timing being out something a mapper would notice on a TDI?

ZANY 07 February 2017 08:22 AM

Subscribed

RS_Matt 07 February 2017 08:28 AM

Wife also asked for twin slash cut tail pipes fitting and they fitted twin rolled. Not great to say they are the UK's top TDi tuning firm.

On-the-bog 07 February 2017 09:49 AM

who was it?

RS_Matt 07 February 2017 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by On-the-bog (Post 11917212)
who was it?

A local tuner with a fine rep.

I just needed to know if cam timing is something that a mapper tweaks when doing a map as the employee who noticed it seemed very surprised it was out after the map. Cambelt was done a few months before the map which may have thrown it but surely it'd be evident on the laptop?

On-the-bog 07 February 2017 01:33 PM

shouldn't change the cam timing, has it jumped a tooth or something?

RS_Matt 07 February 2017 01:53 PM

Car had cambelt changed before we bought it, the car seemed to drive ok to us just needed more power.
so the local tuner mapped it for us. The car felt good to us but when we took it back for an exhaust fitting the lad who fitted it asked us if we'd noticed the car hunting and that it could use a tune, we said no and you've only just mapped it.

Anyway they plugged it in and indeed the cam timing was out.

One of those things that are easy to miss?

On-the-bog 07 February 2017 02:03 PM

Guessing it was just a flash map rather than proper dyno tune?

BrownPantsRacing 07 February 2017 03:05 PM

In short, no. You shouldn't change the cam timing.

RS_Matt 09 February 2017 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by On-the-bog (Post 11917333)
Guessing it was just a flash map rather than proper dyno tune?

It was supposed to be a £300 custom map on the dyno.

RS_Matt 09 February 2017 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11917357)
In short, no. You shouldn't change the cam timing.

​​​​​​
Even if it's out? The mapper could have at least told us.

ALi-B 09 February 2017 01:34 PM

PD engine?

They are fickle on cam timing; as it also affects the injection timing. They often run fine (unless its miles out, in which case it can shudder at idle) but the main symptom is the fuel consumption goes awry.

The belt can also stretch with age which has a similar affect (noticeable on live data on VCDS measuring blocks for idle consumption and torsion value). This is why the belt has 4 to 5yr change intervals.

Fitted a new belt to our BKD (using the proper locking tools) and gained a 3mpg overall improvement. :cool:

The Trooper 1815 09 February 2017 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11917847)
It was supposed to be a £300 custom map on the dyno.

But was it?

Any dyno print outs, before/after etc etc.

I have asked a number of local remapping places and very few actually know what they are doing. If you start asking questions about dyno set up, if actual map setting are a custom map or generic flash plug in Tune It type boxes you can hear their eyes glazing over.

They never filled me with confidence.

RS_Matt 09 February 2017 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11917903)
PD engine?

They are fickle on cam timing; as it also affects the injection timing. They often run fine (unless its miles out, in which case it can shudder at idle) but the main symptom is the fuel consumption goes awry.

The belt can also stretch with age which has a similar affect (noticeable on live data on VCDS measuring blocks for idle consumption and torsion value). This is why the belt has 4 to 5yr change intervals.

Fitted a new belt to our BKD (using the proper locking tools) and gained a 3mpg overall improvement. :cool:

Yeah PD140, mpg was where it should be but noticeable judder on tickover which is still there slightly when stationary facing uphill. I presumed it was the DMF.

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11917955)
But was it?

Any dyno print outs, before/after etc etc.

I have asked a number of local remapping places and very few actually know what they are doing. If you start asking questions about dyno set up, if actual map setting are a custom map or generic flash plug in Tune It type boxes you can hear their eyes glazing over.

They never filled me with confidence.

Yep, before and after printouts. 134 to 160, they held back the boost saying the turbo had little play but it was noisey.

Just one of those things I guess, we really want to stay with this tuner so just had to be sure the missed timing thing wasn't a massive blunder.

ditchmyster 10 February 2017 11:10 AM

300 quid for 26bhp doesn't sound like good value to me, should have gone with muddy tyres and a new anti roll bar... then it would be faster and have better mpg. :D