ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   My Dog is poorly (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1045047-my-dog-is-poorly.html)

pimmo2000 30 January 2017 08:00 PM

My Dog is poorly

Tara is 10 this year and today after many vet visits the diagnosis has been handed down as a tumour on her lung. She's on steroids and antibiotics but there are no other options, she is going to die.

To say I am devastated would be a massive understatement, she has been and still is a fantastic dog, perfect temperament, great with people, kids, cats, etc.

Her quality of life is my focus now, so far she's been up and down as they've messed about with the dose, today has been a good day, the weekend was pretty bad. The vet bills are nuts, but I just don't care.

Not sure why I'm posting this, I know many of you have dogs, or have had dogs especially GSD and it was Spoon who helped me find and get her -

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...?highlight=dog

She's had a good life, well looked after, walked, fed and loved, but 10 years, seems like such a short life for such an amazing animal. I know this was going to happen one day and it's haunted me.

9 weeks

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...c632bfd217.jpg

2 years

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...764303fca5.jpg

Today

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...dd84707e51.jpg

wrx300scooby 30 January 2017 08:06 PM

Feel for you pimmo, think of all the joy she has brought you over the years, that should bring a smile to your face:)

I was overseas when my lovely dog passed away, still miss him today:(

njkmrs 30 January 2017 08:10 PM

Sorry to hear that pimmo..
I have to say it is one reason I have never had a Dog.
I would hate to get so attached to it ,classed one of the family im sure , only to know I will lose it in what is a short space of time.
Although im sure it has brought much pleasure to you and your family in that time.
Friends have always had dogs and to see them when they lose one is heart breaking.

Blue by You 30 January 2017 09:02 PM

You never get over it if it's the right dog.
The consolation is that you did your best, she was loved, and she had a good life.
The next dog will fill the void, but Tara will always be in your head.

Skoobie Dhu 30 January 2017 09:04 PM

Feel for you, we're going through something similar, our 11 year old cockapoo was diagnosed with prostate cancer back in November, he's in for his 4th chemo on Thursday. We're hopeful we that as it's localised the chemo will slow the cancers progress. Glad he's insured, first day's bill was £2,200 for examination, ultrasound and full cat scan.
Also had our 16 yr old cat put to sleep 2 weeks ago.
Just remember all the good times and make the most of the remaining time.

RAGGY DOO 30 January 2017 09:49 PM

Time to say goodbye mate
If the dog is in pain do the best by her
Been in same position myself and it's gut wrenching

ALi-B 30 January 2017 10:29 PM

:(

Uncle Creepy 30 January 2017 10:44 PM

Very sorry to hear this, Pimmo. She looks like a lovely dog. I know exactly how you feel. When the time comes it'll be incredibly hard for a while, but it does get easier with time. Just remember you gave Tara the best life she could have had.

elgassi 30 January 2017 10:59 PM

The eyes in the last picture tell the story, it's hard but sometimes it's the kindest thing to do beautiful looking GSD
I lost one years ago to old age, great breed and still sorely missed

David Lock 30 January 2017 11:58 PM

Very, very sorry to read your post. As a dog owner for 30 years or more I do know what they mean and how sad it is when you have to let them go.

David

stealthbomber 31 January 2017 08:54 AM

So sorry. I had my 12 year old lab fynn put to sleep on January 13th. He was my best mate from when I picked him up at 8 weeks old. I even gave my son his middle name! He'd been treated for a tumour inside his back legs for a few months and was getting by but it started to affect his nerves in the back end and I knew it couldn't continue and he deserved better than to suffer for my sake. It was an awful thing to go through, thankfully he was put to sleep at home which I found easier. You'll never get over the loss (I'm sitting in a lay by welling up now!) but time and for me the support of my wife were great healers. I had him cremated and he now sits next to my bed, gone but not forgotten. Be strong, think of the good times and enjoy the memories.

johned 31 January 2017 11:39 AM

Very sad time but take comfort in the fact that you gave the dog a good life with lots of care and love and you can only do your best.

fpan 31 January 2017 11:46 AM

I am sorry to hear this.
As others have said think about what you have provided for her and the good times you both had, although I understand it doesn't make it any easier.
My first dog was killed by another dog when he was 6 months old, I was really devastated.

trails 31 January 2017 12:01 PM

Such an hard thing to have to do, but it's the best gift you can give a loved pet. Had to let my 21 yo cat go last year; awful day.

I only wish we could do the same for sick relatives :(

Best wishes fella.

hedgecutter 31 January 2017 12:14 PM

Very sorry to hear this, we put down our 16 year old wheaten terrier before Xmas, so understand completely. It's very hard to judge when that time should be, and to have that power over a close companion. But too many people allow their animal to suffer because they can't let go.....it's a proper hard one, and you miss them every day. Chin up, and all the best

pimmo2000 31 January 2017 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by elgassi (Post 11915185)
The eyes in the last picture tell the story, it's hard but sometimes it's the kindest thing to do beautiful looking GSD
I lost one years ago to old age, great breed and still sorely missed

Taking it day by day, she's alert and happy today .. :(

elgassi 31 January 2017 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11915376)
Taking it day by day, she's alert and happy today .. :(

good to hear, you'll know your girl better than anyone :notworthy

zip106 31 January 2017 08:28 PM

Very sad.
Having been dogless for 3 years we got a new one in September.
So attached to him already, couldn't imagine not having him around :(

scoobypaul_temp 31 January 2017 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 11915276)
Such an hard thing to have to do, but it's the best gift you can give a loved pet. Had to let my 21 yo cat go last year; awful day.

I only wish we could do the same for sick relatives :(

Best wishes fella.

Spot on - its a horrible thing to do, but you owe it to your dog for all the love and smiles they give you.

We had to make the same decision last year for our dog, and I welled up when I read your story today. The only positive for us is we then rescued 2 dogs (brought up together) to fill the gap that was left.

Keep your chin up bud, and remember the happy times with a smile

pimmo2000 01 February 2017 06:38 AM

thanks guys :( she's eating and drinking still, she's happy to see us when we come home and she's able to move around the house with no noticeable issues.

Seeing the vet twice weekly at the moment, so even if for some reason I miss it, he wont, he's getting a steady income from me :)

Torquemada 01 February 2017 06:42 PM

Sorry to hear this, Pimmo. Thoughts are with you.

gpssti4 08 February 2017 07:52 AM

Awefull thing to have the power of life and death of your pet. I had one of my cats put down a few years ago and I'm still haunted by it. :(
I'm sure you'll make the most of the time you have left together and do the right thing when the time comes.

pimmo2000 10 February 2017 07:26 AM

I saw a different vet on Saturday who suggested we could send her to the animal hospital, it would be expensive but we'd know for sure if it was treatable, operation etc. I wasn't willing to treat cancer, not fair to put her through it at her age,

Ok, so the hospital took Tara in and gave her a good going over yesterday, they don't believe she has any kind of tumour which is the complete opposite to the other vet. Basically she has lung and heart issues which they potentially can treat. It's going to need a lot of medication and more tests and she could clot and die in the meantime but at least we've gone from having nothing to having hope. The dog is very tired after today but we've managed to get most of her drugs and food down her.
Emotional stress has been nuts.. From ok to dead to ok to dead.. Id completely prepared myself for the worst today and got what in comparison is great news.
See how we responds by Monday they said..

This morning she seems ok again, I guess at least now we have options and unless she's in pain I'm willing to spend to try them.

elgassi 10 February 2017 08:57 AM

That good news I think, but as you say you'll have to see how she goes
There's no use making her rattle with tablets if you can see her quality of life is suffering and she's a shadow of her former self
You know her habits and behaviour better than anyone, good luck

pimmo2000 11 February 2017 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by elgassi (Post 11918155)
That good news I think, but as you say you'll have to see how she goes
There's no use making her rattle with tablets if you can see her quality of life is suffering and she's a shadow of her former self
You know her habits and behaviour better than anyone, good luck

That's my thinking ..

johned 11 February 2017 12:41 PM

Fingers crossed.

Turbohot 11 February 2017 01:54 PM

Best wishes, beautiful Tara! ❤️

spindle121 11 February 2017 02:14 PM

Good luck my thoughts are with you mate.

njkmrs 11 February 2017 10:11 PM

Aye good luck .
Not easy when they cant tell you whats wrong exactly.
All ifs and buts .
Feel for you.
Hope things improve.

pimmo2000 12 February 2017 08:38 AM

I'm going to try and walk her tonight, they wanted feedback tomorrow on any improvements and sadly the only way for me to tell if the pressure has reduced is to see if she collapses ..

Fingers crossed.