ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   iPhone app to monitor road speed (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1044812-iphone-app-to-monitor-road-speed.html)

Littleted 22 January 2017 03:12 PM

iPhone app to monitor road speed

guys I'm trying to find an app that monitors current road and displays the speed limit and alerts you if you break it, sons got black box and I want something that he can look at when driving, BMW don't allow you to upload to business nav etc

ive tried cyclops but it's only cameras it detects anybody reccomend anything

thanks

worst case is snoopers speed alert gadget

Littleted 22 January 2017 05:44 PM

Sorry wrong section , please move to general thanks

Supacool1 22 January 2017 06:19 PM

http://appcrawlr.com/ios-apps/best-apps-gps-speedometer

Brun 22 January 2017 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 11912673)
guys I'm trying to find an app that monitors current road and displays the speed limit and alerts you if you break it, sons got black box and I want something that he can look at when driving, BMW don't allow you to upload to business nav etc

ive tried cyclops but it's only cameras it detects anybody reccomend anything

thanks

worst case is snoopers speed alert gadget

Do the signs at the side of the road not give the speed limit away for him to drive accordingly?

Supacool1 22 January 2017 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 11912749)
Do the signs at the side of the road not give the speed limit away for him to drive accordingly?

Typical response from someone in here....:cry:

Littleted 22 January 2017 08:43 PM

Too busy texting probably....:cuckoo:

Littleted 22 January 2017 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Supacool1 (Post 11912747)

Thanks

ZANY 23 January 2017 07:24 AM

Maybe the speedo is reading incorrectly?

domino46 23 January 2017 08:46 AM

If he needs to look at something to tell him his speed there is a speedo built into the car he can look at right in front of where the driver sits ,, you shouldn't be looking at a phone while driving especially a new driver (assume that's why a black box is fitted)

Brun 25 January 2017 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Supacool1 (Post 11912754)
Typical response from someone in here....:cry:

Well bog off to somewhere where you like the responses :hjtwofing
What's wrong with using road signs to know what the limit is?

Brun 25 January 2017 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 11912883)
If he needs to look at something to tell him his speed there is a speedo built into the car he can look at right in front of where the driver sits ,, you shouldn't be looking at a phone while driving especially a new driver (assume that's why a black box is fitted)

I think Littleted is more worried about the youngun being unsure of the prescribed limit of a given road he might be driving down therefore he doesn't want to get his insurance cancelled due to a genuine mistake.

Brun 25 January 2017 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11912867)
Maybe the speedo is reading incorrectly?

If it's working correctly the it will over read a touch and if it's not then it needs fixing!

Steve001 25 January 2017 03:56 PM

I'm not entirely sure GPS speed data is that accurate?

Littleted 25 January 2017 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 11913675)
I think Littleted is more worried about the youngun being unsure of the prescribed limit of a given road he might be driving down therefore he doesn't want to get his insurance cancelled due to a genuine mistake.

Thanks exactly, he knows the score, its only for the times hes on a road and for some reason the speed limit isn't instantly in ya face, its just a mild reminder.

On the A45 with becker, if you crept over the speed it would remind you with a small ding sound which i found helpful, i was just looking for something like that, as a backup for his slackness :)

I think the only real viable option is Snoopers my speed gadget, there iPhone apps a little kak.

he knows hes gotta drive like Miss Daisy for 12months till hes free of the black box.

Brun 25 January 2017 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 11913690)
Thanks exactly, he knows the score, its only for the times hes on a road and for some reason the speed limit isn't instantly in ya face, its just a mild reminder.

On the A45 with becker, if you crept over the speed it would remind you with a small ding sound which i found helpful, i was just looking for something like that, as a backup for his slackness :)

I think the only real viable option is Snoopers my speed gadget, there iPhone apps a little kak.

he knows hes gotta drive like Miss Daisy for 12months till hes free of the black box.

Is he allowed some "mistakes" before they cancel his insurance?
What would be the cost difference of insurance minus Big Brother?

Littleted 25 January 2017 06:17 PM

Saw your message brun but maybe you deleted it. So heres how they work

My Policy his first insurer they SMS and ring when your in the danger zone, if you break the rules again after they contact you its an instant fine of £100....

Now hes got the new car they wont touch him, so he has to go with Morethan or Tesco, both have the online portal, which you the owner must monitor if you don't and your drivings crap they cancel it, also twice over the speed limit and its instant cancellation, So country roads are an example tonk along the country bit come to a village and its 30. that's what catches most of them out... Prob i see with them is you've also got to drive very carefully no jerking no stopping quickly or it all goes against you.

If he was to go with a None box insurer its 4.5k once he gets his first years n claims, he can pay his current 1600 quid but for no box....

gaborpapp 27 January 2017 11:06 AM

How old is he ? did he ever ride a motorcycle or anything you can use as a no claim bonus?

Some insurers allow your motorcycle NCD to be transfered over.

Lastly, have you tried A-Plan ? They were the only ones to insure me when I was 23 on my scooby, on a decent price too. Few safety mods would only help your quote (brakes, parking sensors, towing eye) and none of these are expensive to fit.

Littleted 27 January 2017 11:24 AM

ill try Aplan thanks

Brun 28 January 2017 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 11913730)
Saw your message brun but maybe you deleted it. So heres how they work

My Policy his first insurer they SMS and ring when your in the danger zone, if you break the rules again after they contact you its an instant fine of £100....

Now hes got the new car they wont touch him, so he has to go with Morethan or Tesco, both have the online portal, which you the owner must monitor if you don't and your drivings crap they cancel it, also twice over the speed limit and its instant cancellation, So country roads are an example tonk along the country bit come to a village and its 30. that's what catches most of them out... Prob i see with them is you've also got to drive very carefully no jerking no stopping quickly or it all goes against you.

If he was to go with a None box insurer its 4.5k once he gets his first years n claims, he can pay his current 1600 quid but for no box....

Yikes :eek: