ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   1998 Classic Tw*tted In Car Park (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1044788-1998-classic-tw-tted-in-car-park.html)

Geoff Twibell 21 January 2017 02:56 PM

1998 Classic Tw*tted In Car Park

Our much loved '98 classic wagon, while parked and unattended, was reversed into in a small car park yesterday by a lady in a volvo. She was honest enough to leave her details. Tailgate and bumper *seem* to be the only casualties. Now looks like she's going the insurance route (as we were phoned by a pariah 'accident management company' this morning). I'm guessing they'll write off the Scooby given its age, though it has been fully maintained with many new parts over our 14 years ownership.

How easy is it to buy write-offs from an insurer? have no experience but would like to keep the car if poss. and repair back to pre-rear ender condition. Any tips, advice etc. from anyone who's been in the same boat much appreciated.

Steve Whitehorn 21 January 2017 06:39 PM

Sorry to hear of your miss fortune.
Hopefully Gary Mouslon will see this - and give you his advice

Geoff Twibell 21 January 2017 06:46 PM

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I will keep my eye on the thread.

CharlesTuna 21 January 2017 08:18 PM

Car park drivers! Sorry to hear about this dude.

You don't have to use the repair centre they suggest, you have the right to find your own that you're happy with as long as insurance approved. I think West Herts Customs are insurance approved and the owner has a Wagon as well ;) he might be sympathetic to the cause and offer some advice ?

If it is written off, don't accept the first offer they make, push the future classic element and don't be scared to ask for more it's your pride and joy! Once you've agreed on a figure, ask about buying the car back and if they refuse, mention the car has sentimental value and really want it restored and kept on the road. It doesn't sound like it could be dangerous on the road, just not economic to repair from their point of view.

Good luck with getting your Wagon back on the road! :thumb:

jaygsi 22 January 2017 02:31 PM

Charles has basically summed it up. Thats what i did regards one car i had although i didn't ask if i could have bought it back which i regretted, as i would have striped it.

But as Charles has said don't take there first offer, normally they offer low amount first, then i said it was worth more, they asked for prove so i founds ad's listed for high prices for the same car. Although my mate just wrote his car off, fiesta panel damage and he bought it back and carried on driving it, there first offer was very fair, he even claimed of for few for transferring policy to new car, when he got around to replacing it. But i'd buy it back and get it fixed, you might be able to replace bumper and tailgate yourself.

Geoff Twibell 22 January 2017 05:25 PM

Thanks all for the encouraging comments. Insurance choice of bodyshop would have been mine too so no problem there. Depends whether they price a new tailgate or can fix. Looks like the damage, right above the handle, is probably not fixable but we'll see.

If they do write it off will haggle over offers and definitely try our utmost to buy it back. We're both very attached to the car, which sounds weird I know. But Scoobies have a way of doing that. :-)

Wrx sti Ed 22 January 2017 08:25 PM

When my last Impreza was written off I had to argue on the value. The 1st and 2nd offers were embarrassing, but when I provided all my paperwork with receipts they upped the offer which I accepted. I bought the car back for a percentage of the value then sold the car to a breaker on here so made a bit more cash that way.