ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   2.5 Sti starting slow.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1044569-2-5-sti-starting-slow.html)

Supacool1 10 January 2017 06:27 AM

2.5 Sti starting slow....

Hi

My JDM Foz Sti sometimes starts slow. I know the battery on it is the one from Japan and probably be wise to replace for a Banner.

Can anyone with the 2.5 sti engine tell me if it's a trait of the engine to start slow on the starter? I mean it seems to struggle for the first couple of rotations then fires right up.

I can recall my Uk200 turbo being a bit slow to turn over as well, but not as slow as the foz.

Thanks.

JGlanzaV 10 January 2017 07:05 AM

Low compression, headgasket failure :poke:

Supacool1 10 January 2017 09:14 AM

If I had low compression would the engine not turn over faster? If I've not made self clear I apologise. It starts fine, but cranking over it sounds like its struggling as if the battery is not man enough. But looking at the inspection window of the Japanese battery it shows all is well with the condition of the battery and the charging circuit is working correctly.....

On-the-bog 10 January 2017 10:50 AM

pop down to your local battery supplier, most do a free battery and alternator check. Then go from there

Supacool1 10 January 2017 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by On-the-bog (Post 11909334)
pop down to your local battery supplier, most do a free battery and alternator check. Then go from there

Makes sense....:thumb:

alcazar 10 January 2017 05:25 PM

If it's the original it's probably tired.

YUASA are good, ebay is your friend, unless you want to pay full price at £100. Got mine for £65

ZANY 10 January 2017 08:07 PM

Check all your earths on the starter motor near battery etc aswell then give it some old wd40 just incase :thumb:

Supacool1 11 January 2017 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11909457)
Check all your earths on the starter motor near battery etc aswell then give it some old wd40 just incase :thumb:

It came with an earth kit from Japan that was disconnected when I picked it up. Reinstated it once got it home and it did make a difference compared to when it was disconnected. :cool:

ZANY 11 January 2017 08:09 AM

I know it's not a scoob but the golf did same I replaced batterey still a slow start then that battery went dead got another from Halfords still same cleaned all connections on the starter motor and earthing points which sorted it starts up in a heartbeat now.

Maybe a loose or crappy connection just give it a check over and take your time it'll be right replace the battery to rule any probs there as Halfords checked mine and it was faulty

alcazar 11 January 2017 11:29 AM

I had a xantia (I know: French electrics...) that melted the solder on the battery terminal, said solder dropping onto and melting the battery casing before dropping inside and that was the end of that battery.

Problem was the main lead from battery to starter. Cutting through it showed it oxidised badly all along it's length, the resistance was ridiculous and on starting, the whole lead got hot, and the starter was sluggish.

£10 for a new lead sorted it.

narelle 13 January 2017 10:10 PM

Sounds like a dead cell in battery to me