ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   One-off box for all Sky/Virgin channels? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1044416-one-off-box-for-all-sky-virgin-channels.html)

alcazar 04 January 2017 08:58 AM

One-off box for all Sky/Virgin channels?

Advertised on the net, but does it work and is it legal?

On-the-bog 04 January 2017 09:00 AM

legal no, works, probably works for a while at least

ZANY 04 January 2017 09:34 AM

Yeh great piece of kit had mine over 3 years with all the channels no probs just get a code thingie every year my little bro sorts it all for me as I'm useless at technology I just do the viewing paid £60 for the box and the codes are a couple of quid a year:thumb:

JackClark 04 January 2017 09:38 AM

Got some speakers here guv, left over from a trade show, you can see them in this magazine ad for £3,000 yours for £300. Totally legit and legal. I accept bitcoin.

dpb 04 January 2017 09:51 AM

id have no trouble cheating on sky , but who actually needs that much more dross in their lives

ZANY 04 January 2017 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11907564)
id have no trouble cheating on sky , but who actually needs that much more dross in their lives

Sorry to go off topic but What does dross mean?

On-the-bog 04 January 2017 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11907566)
Sorry to go off topic but What does dross mean?

the crap that's scrapped off the top when metal is melted for casting.

dpb 04 January 2017 10:03 AM

Don't mean to offend Zany , its just that whenever iv encountered sky in other peoples houses its appears to be more of/repeated / usually worst of stuff from other outlets . Maybe I'm wrong ?

JackClark 04 January 2017 10:30 AM

You're not wrong, it's moronic paying more than the licence fee, even £60 and a few quid a year to pirates is dumb. It's the drug of the nation.

dpb 04 January 2017 11:09 AM

Any different than being addicted to fruit ?

ZANY 04 January 2017 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by On-the-bog (Post 11907568)
the crap that's scrapped off the top when metal is melted for casting.

:thumb: something new learnt this year

ZANY 04 January 2017 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11907577)
You're not wrong, it's moronic paying more than the licence fee, even £60 and a few quid a year to pirates is dumb. It's the drug of the nation.

£60 for the box three years ago jack and it's about £2.50 a year for the code I'm happy as I get nicktoons on for the kids to watch they love spongebob and Sanjay&craig I hardly watch telly myself to be honest

ZANY 04 January 2017 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11907570)
Don't mean to offend Zany , its just that whenever iv encountered sky in other peoples houses its appears to be more of/repeated / usually worst of stuff from other outlets . Maybe I'm wrong ?

No offence taken pal:thumb: I hardly watch the telly/news etc scoobynet is much more entertaining than telly I reckon:)

scotty boy 80 04 January 2017 01:11 PM

Sat tech uk I got mine from had it a year and it's been perfect all sports and movies in HD aswell as android apps for box sets and new movies

gary77 04 January 2017 01:37 PM

Just had a look at sat tech uk . Is the box the zgemma ? There are two which one would be right .is anything else needed. Or can someone point me in the direction of a better option .

I have sky which is really a waste of time for me i usually watch boxsets or films via my phone to the tv using chromecast . But that box soumds like a good way to get rid of the sky subscription and keep the kids and missus happy

scotty boy 80 04 January 2017 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by gary77 (Post 11907625)
Just had a look at sat tech uk . Is the box the zgemma ? There are two which one would be right .is anything else needed. Or can someone point me in the direction of a better option .

I have sky which is really a waste of time for me i usually watch boxsets or films via my phone to the tv using chromecast . But that box soumds like a good way to get rid of the sky subscription and keep the kids and missus happy

One box is for a virgin feed and the other a sky feed, so you'll need either virgin or sky broadband cos it plugs straight into your router with an ethernet cable
Yeah it's a zgemma box

alcazar 05 January 2017 12:23 PM

So if my router is on the dining room and the TV is metres away in the lounge, what's my option?

I've seen these things that plug into and use the house ring main for ethernet, but a friend has recently told me that any chargers plugged in disrupt it?

JackClark 05 January 2017 12:52 PM

Sticking with the spirit of the thread you have two choices.
  1. Use those plugs, you can steal them from Maplins, they're **** so why would anyone have to pay for them.
  2. Get a carpet fitter in to lift your carpet, put in some Ethernet and the put it back down. Obviously pay by cheque and bounce it, or just ignore an invoice.

On-the-bog 05 January 2017 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11907850)
Sticking with the spirit of the thread you have two choices.
  1. Use those plugs, you can steal them from Maplins, they're **** so why would anyone have to pay for them.
  2. Get a carpet fitter in to lift your carpet, put in some Ethernet and the put it back down. Obviously pay by cheque and bounce it, or just ignore an invoice.

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

dpb 05 January 2017 01:48 PM

insider knowledge ?

yabbadoo4 05 January 2017 01:55 PM

ive got a set of the plug in ethernet adaptors and they have been great. they stream hi def video etc with no problems to my projector in the bedroom. these ones here : http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-av...pter-kit-n45nt they say 500mbps which actually is around 65Mbps which is more than enough for most hi def video or streams and internet etc. like a mug i thought that they were ******* great so i paid for them, silly me eh?? :D

scotty boy 80 05 January 2017 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11907840)
So if my router is on the dining room and the TV is metres away in the lounge, what's my option?

I've seen these things that plug into and use the house ring main for ethernet, but a friend has recently told me that any chargers plugged in disrupt it?

Message them asking if that will work with the sender, if not get a bloody long ethernet cable or move your router

Norman Dog 05 January 2017 08:16 PM

I take it these boxes work by connecting to a cardsharing server?

If they're anything like the OpenBox I used to have, don't bother. Picture freezes, glitches all the time and I tried a few different providers. :(

Wonder when someone will crack Nagra3? :wonder: